CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Red_Dog01
Level 2: Rookie

NRL Live Pass Casting

Answered

Last year I was able to Cast my NRL live Stream from my phone to my TV via Google Cast.

This year it appears that this service is now no longer available.

Can I have some response to this issue, as it was the best part of having the NRL Live Pass Account.

Thanks

Regards
Graeme
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NRL Live Pass Casting

It is not allowed in line with the mobile broadcasting rights agreements. It limits it to the device only and only on screen sizes up to 7". It prevents any sort of mirroring, casting, airplay, screen sharing.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @Bennolad1231988

Thank you for your post.

My apologies that you're not satisfied with the terms and conditions of the NRL Live App. 

Airplay, Airplay Mirroring and any form of external video output of streamed content is not permitted and is not provided as part of this offer.

Telstra's agreement with the NRL restricts the display of live match videos to the current screen size.

From January 1, 2018, a new digital rights agreement will come into effect. As part of the new agreement, the live streaming of NRL Telstra Premiership games will only be available via the NRL Official App on mobile or tablet. In preparation for this change, the current live streaming platform on NRL.com for laptops and PC’s will be closed on 4 December 2017.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Markies

The app is garbage now ever since the update. Its barely functional.
Accepted Solution

It is not allowed in line with the mobile broadcasting rights agreements. It limits it to the device only and only on screen sizes up to 7". It prevents any sort of mirroring, casting, airplay, screen sharing.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

mavrick

The app does suck now just bring the casting cause you lose a lot of ppl who use it

I believe I read the current agreement is in place until 2022 so won’t change until at least the end of this current agreement period.
Helpful Links

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Red-Dog01

Airplay Mirroring and any form of external video output of streamed content is not permitted and is not provided as part of any NRL Live Pass.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Red_Dog01

Well than the NRL Live Pass is a complete waste of time to me as I won't watch an NRL games on a just a 7" screen. That is not what watching the NRL is about and you cant enjoy it to it's fullest.
You have lost my vote as I used it only to watch the matches that were not shown on Free to Air TV channels.

Unhappy customer !!!
Regards
Graeme
Urunga1
Level 1: Cadet

last year I could watch NRL on laptop in small screen. Now I have a new pass but seems like this is no longer an option? The offer of NRL bonus with new phone plan is not a bonus?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Urunga1,

Due to a change in the licence agreement it is no longer possible to view live matches on a laptop. You are still able to watch live matches on your mobile phone or a tablet

Sxstan

Tje spp sucks cant cast yo tv.....not happy until companies suck every last dollar out u
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Sxstan

Thank you for your enquiry.

As per the terms, under our digital rights agreement with the NRL, broadcasts are restricted to the screen devices upon which they are sold (i.e.: iOS or Android smartphone or tablet) and current screen size.

Live streams are restricted to max screen size of 7” diagonally. This is as per Telstra digital rights agreement with NRL. Match highlights and match replays are available for viewing in full screen size.

Airplay Mirroring and any form of external video output of live content is not permitted and is not provided as part of any NRL Live Pass.

In-App Purchases will not enable cross-platform access of premium content however you can restore the purchase on multiple devices sharing the same account, on the same operating system. 

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thank you

LuiseG

Couldn’t you connect a lightning to HDMI cable from your iPad to a TV? Or something similar?
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @LuiseG

No, the NRL App will recognise that you're trying to cast to a bigger screen and cease to work.

As per our Digital Rights Agreement, live streams are restricted to 7inches diagonally and external video output is not permitted or provided. 

Thanks. 

Peto8

If a standard Tablet is 9.7”(10”), why is it restricted to a mini tablet size?

Becuase the NRL body have the 7in diagonal screen limitation built into the mobile rights agreement that are used for the livepass
Helpful Links

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Peto8

Thank you for your enquiry, my apologies for any confusion regarding NRL Live Pass. 

As @DrQ mentioned, the live stream is restricted to 7in maximum as per the terms:

Under our digital rights agreement with the NRL, broadcasts are restricted to the screen devices upon which they are sold (i.e.: iOS or Android smartphone or tablet) and current screen size.

Live streams are restricted to max screen size of 7” diagonally. This is as per Telstra digital rights agreement with NRL. Match highlights and match replays are available for viewing in full screen size.

Airplay Mirroring and any form of external video output of live content is not permitted and is not provided as part of any NRL Live Pass.

In-App Purchases will not enable cross-platform access of premium content however you can restore the purchase on multiple devices sharing the same account, on the same operating system

Thank you

Bennolad1231988

What part of how **bleep**en **bleep** is this does Telstra not understand no one wants to watch it on there **bleep**en phone boring I’ll be changing to Optus the minute my plans finished piece of **bleep** app and piece of **bleep** service can’t stand the **bleep** anymore
Bennolad1231988

What part of how **bleep** is this does Telstra not understand no one wants to watch it on there **bleep**en phone boring I’ll be changing to Optus the minute my plans finished piece of **bleep** app and piece of **bleep** service can’t stand the **bleep** anymore
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @Bennolad1231988

Thank you for your post.

My apologies that you're not satisfied with the terms and conditions of the NRL Live App. 

Airplay, Airplay Mirroring and any form of external video output of streamed content is not permitted and is not provided as part of this offer.

Telstra's agreement with the NRL restricts the display of live match videos to the current screen size.

From January 1, 2018, a new digital rights agreement will come into effect. As part of the new agreement, the live streaming of NRL Telstra Premiership games will only be available via the NRL Official App on mobile or tablet. In preparation for this change, the current live streaming platform on NRL.com for laptops and PC’s will be closed on 4 December 2017.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now