Grantasimmo
Level 3: Gumshoe

NRL app not working

Answered
After being on several live chats with Telstra I’m here. My NRL app won’t link with my Telstra account and I can only see a two min preview. When I register the NRL app with my Telstra account an error message appears telling me that this service is unavailable please try again later.
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: NRL app not working

Hello @Grantasimmo

Are you a Telstra customer eligible for a free NRL Live Pass?

If so, please close the NRL App on your Telstra mobile device and open

again while connected to 4G (Not Wi-Fi)

The NRL App identifies your eligibility through Telstra's 4G network during the

set up process. You may need to reinstall the NRL App first to clear any previous

details.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Grantasimmo
Accepted Solution

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am a telstra customer, and yes im using it without wifi.

I have tried this as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the app 5 times now. I have also spent serval hours with the telstra team to which that couldn't help me, people in store direct me to people online, online people direct me to you as your with the NRL. Please provide another solution as I have tried everything i can think of. I have even managed to get it the app working on my wife phone but cant get past the two min window preview then i register and the error message appears to try again later.

Very frustrating, service not working as promised online part of the reason I went with Telstra.

My next step that I haven't done and will probably do as no one can assist is to completely log out of the NRL account and try again.
Grantasimmo
Accepted Solution

no solution provided please see previous post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hello @Grantasimmo

Are you a Telstra customer eligible for a free NRL Live Pass?

If so, please close the NRL App on your Telstra mobile device and open

again while connected to 4G (Not Wi-Fi)

The NRL App identifies your eligibility through Telstra's 4G network during the

set up process. You may need to reinstall the NRL App first to clear any previous

details.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Grantasimmo
Accepted Solution

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am a telstra customer, and yes im using it without wifi.

I have tried this as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the app 5 times now. I have also spent serval hours with the telstra team to which that couldn't help me, people in store direct me to people online, online people direct me to you as your with the NRL. Please provide another solution as I have tried everything i can think of. I have even managed to get it the app working on my wife phone but cant get past the two min window preview then i register and the error message appears to try again later.

Very frustrating, service not working as promised online part of the reason I went with Telstra.

My next step that I haven't done and will probably do as no one can assist is to completely log out of the NRL account and try again.
Grantasimmo
Accepted Solution

no solution provided please see previous post
Grantasimmo

this is not an acceptable solution. See other comments. I couldn't untick the box to show that this has been solved. very cheeky Telstra very cheeky indeed.
Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Grantasimmo,

Thanks for attempting the reinstall.

There is no need to sign into an NRL account/Telstra account.

It is possible once you have redeemed your free live pass to then

link it to an NRL account so you can access on devices that aren't

connected to 4G (like a tablet).

Until the live pass is redeemed and then linked to your NRL account,

the NRL account will not provide access to premium content.

If using Android try clearing the cache to clear your NRL account details

settings>apps>NRL>Storage

Also check the App has access to to the 4G network in the settings

I do apologise for the frustrations dealing with other departments, they do 

the best they can when asked, however all support for the NRL App is provided

via Crowd Support. The support button in the NRL App links straight to us,

as does the support option on the NRL Website.

I also did not select that the solution was accepted. I will continue to assist until

we find out what is going on.

Can you please watch this video demonstrating how to redeem your free live pass,

and if you still cannot access, let me know the following:

At what point do you have an issue?

What device are you using to access your Live Pass?

Which version of iOS/Android is it running?

Is there an active Telstra sim card in the device?

Do you have a VPN installed on your device?

Are you currently located in Australia or NZ?

Once I have more details I can assist further

AndyBrown23
Level 1: Cadet

IMG_6208.PNGI'm having the exact same problem as @Grantasimmo . 3 years ago I could use it fine. For the last 2 years it's had the same glitch. The Service has been Temporarily Unavailable for 2 years, even after countless NRL app updates. There's something weird about it. I'm thinking either:

1. Telstra is trying to get people to go pay for it in frustration, even though they should be getting it for free

2. The more people using it the slower it will be. Let's ensure that half of all Telstra customers have this glitch so it doesn't slow the streaming for other users

None of your solutions @aaron_h actually work. I don't think you care about fixing the problem. As long as the profits keep rolling in right? It's the last straw really. I've had it with Telstra, definitely moving to Optus. Telstra puts profits ahead of people. If they genuinely cared about people they would have a number you could call to actually fix the problem. Instead you give a generic answer generated by robots, so it 'looks' like you're trying to solve the issue but really don't actually care

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @AndyBrown,

Apologies for the issues accessing your Live Pass, I assure you I'm not a robot.

It appears based on your screenshot you are also attempting to sign into your Live Pass.

You do not sign in, the Telstra network redeems your live pass in the setup process.

If you reinstall the NRL App and open while connected to 4G, the NRL App auto-redeems

your Live Pass when the NRL App is first opened.

If this is not what you experience,can you please answer the same questions I asked @Grantasimmo?

What troubleshooting steps have you attempted?

@Grantasimmo how did you go redeeming your Live Pass?

Grantasimmo

Hi @aaron_h and @AndyBrown23 

@AndyBrown23 that is the error message I continually get. 

@aaron_h Thanks for replying please see the below to answer your questions: 

At what point do you have an issue?

I have always had the issue- since joining telstra

What device are you using to access your Live Pass?

apple iPhone 6

Which version of iOS/Android is it running?

Is there an active Telstra sim card in the device?

Yes

Do you have a VPN installed on your device?

no

Are you currently located in Australia or NZ?

Australia

@aaron_h I have followed all the steps that you have recommend in trouble shooting and watched the video. I have done everything I can think of. As mentioned previously. I'm not happy with how long this is taking and would very  much like the issue resolved soon. I just don't understand why this is happening? 

Finally Ive attached an image showing that I have joined the NRL seasons pass, and the error screen above comes through when I click the 'return to app' button

As @AndyBrown23 mentioned there has been no follow up, I've logged this issue with Testra and will be passing this issue on the TIO 

NRL app wont work .jpg

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Grantasimmo,

Thanks for providing your details.

I have been awaiting your response in order for me to follow up? As I've explained,

all support for the NRL App is provided through this page.

As we cannot replicate the issue being reported, and there are many other

users with an iPhone 6 running iOS 12.2 accessing the NRL App without issue,

the solution likely lies in your iPhone.

There is possibly another App or setting causing the problem.

Can you first please ensure the NRL App has access to your data

settings>cellular>NRL

What happens when you open the NRL App after reinstalling?

You should see this screen when opening the NRL App while connected

to 4G with no VPN active:

If not, what do you experience? Please keep in mind you do not sign

in, the NRL Live Pass is auto-redeemed via Telstra's 4G Network when opening.

If you do not get that prompt, head to More>NRL Live Pass.

Are your Live Pass details displayed, or do you have an option to select free for Telstra Customers?

Grantasimmo

After reinstalling (every time for 5 times) I get this congratulations message page, then after clicking through I get the error message that has been shared already. By @AndyBrown23 

Yes as I have already confirmed I am on the 4G network and not using wifi. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Grantasimmo,

Thanks for giving that a go.

Can you please head to More>NRL Live Pass.

Are your details displayed, or is there another option on

this page to select Telstra customer?

Did you check to see if the NRL App has access to your mobile data?

settings>cellular

Grantasimmo

Thanks @aaron_h 

This seems to have worked, as I can access full game replays as stated in the congratulation message. I won't know until this Thursday when the next live game is played, I will touch base with you next week again either way. Thanks for your help, hopefully this does the trick. I have this screen shot showing this. I am on cellular data as shown in the top left corner of the image below. 

nrl success.jpg

Support Team
Support Team

Nice @Grantasimmo!

Glad to see we are getting somewhere.

There is no need to wait, if you head to the Video tab and select

AFL.TV, you can test this way.

(We broadcast AFL.TV in the same manner as we do a live match)

Give it a go and let me know so we can confirm you now have full access.

Grantasimmo

62577812_1163506570502973_4969543586883305472_n.jpgStill 

Still not working @aaron_h I only get the 2 min preview even after doing this again

Any other ideas?

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @Grantasimmo

Not sure why I gave you instructions for the AFL App, apologies.

It does give me another idea though.

If you have redeemed your Live Pass and still only get a 2 minute preview,

there is something not right here. If you click on More>NRL Live Pass are

your details displayed, or do you need to redeem again?

Can I get you to test redeeming your Live Pass for another App Telstra customers

get for free?

Download the AFL Live App connected to 4G, and redeem your Live Pass when opening.

Are you able to redeem the Live Pass, and are you able to watch AFL.TV ?(video tab)

This will identify if the issue is in the redemption process, or an issue with the NRL App.

My next message will likely be private, so I can collect your details to escalate

To access your private messages, please refer to the relevant instructions below:

If viewing on a desktop/laptop:
In the top right hand corner of CrowdSupport, you should see a profile icon, with a drop down - Select Messages. This is your inbox & will contain any private messages you receive via CrowdSupport.

If viewing on a mobile device:
Tap the messages icon at the bottom of the screen & select the login option to sign into your account. This will take you back to the original page, where you can select message to access your inbox. This will contain any messages you receive via CrowdSupport.

Grantasimmo

@aaron_h Sorry for the delay, I was traveling and only now have the time to deal with this. 

I have successfully downloaded the AFL app and can watch the live game. I got the success screen when I down loaded it. I can only assume its an issue with the NRL app. 

If you could escalate this it would be greatly appreciated! 

Grant

Support Team
Support Team

Hello Grantasimmo,

Thank you for trying that, this indicates the issue is NRL App related.

The support team will require some further details, I will send a private message shortly.

To access your private messages, please refer to the relevant instructions below:

If viewing on a desktop/laptop:
In the top right hand corner of CrowdSupport, you should see a profile icon, with a drop down - Select Messages. This is your inbox & will contain any private messages you receive via CrowdSupport.

If viewing on a mobile device:
Tap the messages icon at the bottom of the screen & select the login option to sign into your account. This will take you back to the original page, where you can select message to access your inbox. This will contain any messages you receive via CrowdSupport.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now