CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
DJShotty
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Telstra NRL App FAIL

Telstra NRL app failing to open on Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ (SM-G928i) running Android Nougat 7.0 XSA stock ROM. Asking for update to app. prior to season kickoff, but knowing Telstra's consistent failure to make firmware upgrades for phones available within a reasonable time, I'm sure I'm asking for the impossible.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Telstra NRL App FAIL

Hey @DJShotty

Thanks for your post and it sounds like you simply need to update to the latest version of the App through Google Play. I believe this should be compatible with your device at the moment, so there shouldn't be any reason you can't do this from your device.

If you have any trouble, please let me know what the problem is.

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DJShotty

I deleted the app.'s cache and storage, then uninstalled. I then reinstalled the version available on Play Store, turned Location ON and tried to run the app. directly from Google Play prior to submitting my Help request.

I have just done the very same procedure twice over, still without success. My theory is it boils down to your developer team locking the screen size down to a much smaller window than a device's capable resolution.

Support Team
Support Team

Sorry, just to confirm, have you installed a different version of Android than is available from your phone manufacturer or have you rooted your device?

If so, then this may be the reason this is not working for you. We do not support other versions of Android and cannot guarantee that the App will work in conjunction with this version.

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

DJShotty

I'm sorry, but what part of my first post, most notably

"Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ (SM-G928i) running Android Nougat 7.0 XSA stock ROM"

does NOT tell you what OS version my device is running? Trust me, I will NEVER run one of your bloatware-filled TEL ROMs, especially when Telstra technicians take the better part of SIX MONTHS after the rest of the world gets the new OS to release them!

"We do not support other versions of Android"

Well, the app. comes up with an error message which says, "the app was written for an older version of Android."
Oh, and having a 'rooted' device shouldn't have any effect on the app.'s operation, especially when my rooted Nougat S6 ran it without a single problem across the entirety of 2017.
If you don't have a solution to the issue, then please just say so and hand it onto someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Support Team
Support Team

I apologise that I overlooked this in your first post.

We cannot test or optimise our App for other version of Android or in instances where you have rooted your device. This can effect the performance and compatibility of Apps and in some cases, it will result in unexpected behaviour.

None of our team will be able to support this type of issue, if you are using a non-standard version of Android.

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

DJShotty

Did you not read the part of my most recent post where I mentioned that the previous version of the app. worked flawlessly on the very same version of Android I have had installed on this device since July 2017? Seriously mate, fix the damn app., because whatever you've done to it with respect to the latest update has broken it!

Support Team
Support Team

I understand that this has worked in the past but because we don't test for your version of Android, there may be compatibility issues that we are not able to resolve. So while this may have worked in the past, we cannot guarantee that this will work through every update.

Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Level 25: The Singularity

@DJShotty do you have the firmware version CSC G928IXSA3CQL3? Or do you have a different version?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DJShotty

@Jupiter

My currently installed firmware is as follows:

Country/Region: Australia

Product Code: XSA

PDA: G928IDVU3CQH2

CSC: G928IXSA3CQH2

Phone: G928IDVU3CQG1

Why do you ask if I'm running a firmware that isn't even Telstra branded? The XSA (ie. unbranded) DVU3CQL3 ROM was released just two weeks ago, and according to my source at Samsung Australia the TEL (Telstra branded) ROM hasn't been sent back to them for their final checks prior to OEM distribution! Look mate, when compared with the actual release date of Android firmware versions over the past five years, Telstra have ALWAYS delayed by no less than a month releasing their branded variant of Android firmwares FOR ALL ANDROID DEVICES THEY SUPPORT, but most notably Samsung's flagship smartphones. I know as fact that Telstra receive the stock Samsung firmware files at the EXACT SAME TIME as other regions which sell the same device! For example, the exact same Galaxy S6 Edge+ SM-G928i device is sold in India, and while their telcos have branded firmware updates available to their customers almost immediately following the unbranded ROM being available, Telstra are consistently inept! I assure you, with me you have pretty much no hope at all to defend Telstra's record on firmware release delays!
Even so, the app. should still work on a version of Android which the developer should have been able to run in virtual mode for evaluation of his/her app.'s compatibility! Because neither you personally nor Telstra are the developer of the NRL app., how could you possibly know why the newest update for the app. prevents it from working on an Android version which has been available to Australian users since 21st September 2017? I have had 'rooted' G928IXSA3CQH2 firmware installed on my S6 Edge+ since 28th September 2017, and upon restoring the apps which I'd had installed prior to upgrading on that day - including the NRL app. - I found no compatibility issues or performance flaws whatsoever with any of them.
With that in mind, the developer's job - NOT YOURS - is to ensure the apps he/she creates are 100% OPERATIONAL ON THE EXACT SAME FIRMWARE VERSION THAT WAS AVAILABLE TO USERS PRIOR TO RELEASE OF THE APPLICATION! The latest unbranded Nougat 7.0 ROM available for Australia XSA country sales code SM-G928i devices is indeed DVU3CQL3, but seeming though that was only made available on January 10th 2018 and the app. update was written prior to that date, it should be working on the Samsung factory standard ROM for the XSA region dated September 14th 2017 codenamed G928IDVU3CQH2. Oh, and before you jump up and down, I know for a fact your 'TEL' branded ROM codenamed TEL3CQK1 (dated December 29th 2017) uses that very same September 2017 factory unbranded XSA ROM as its base.

Now, get onto the developer and FIX THE DAMN APP., because the problems are within it and NOT (as you're trying so desperately to blame) the firmware on which the app. is being installed!!!
Isn't it a bummer when you come up against someone who has been doing the very thing you think you're good at for the better part of a decade before you were even born?

@DJShotty as someone who doesn't work for Telstra and has been working with computers since 1983 (a long time before Android was even a pipe dream), I only asked you whether you were on the current firmware as I was going to test it out for myself (as I have both the actual hardware and an emulator - plus the all the diagnostic software) to see if I could spot what was causing the issue with the app. Just need to know with which firmware update the problem started with.

But as you decided to go off half cocked, I don't think I'll bother.

Ever heard of shooting yourself in the foot? You'll now have to wait to see if the next update works with no idea what was causing the issue in the first place.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DJShotty

So then, the same length of time I've been working with computers then huh? With the penchant of today's society not giving care to how long people of my age group have actually been doing things, I guess I'll just take delight in calling you a goose.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now