Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Regular Visitor
0 Kudos

NBN 100mbps line drops speed to less than 1mbps after 7pm

[ Edited ]

All,

Was wondering if anybody is experiencing the same issue as mine... hope to see some solution.

I'm on $100 nbn 200GB data plan with expected download speeds to be ATLEAST 70mbps and 35mbps upload speed.

since the past  month, my internet speed drops below 1mbps after 7pm onwards. It is soo poor that after 10pm I can't watch youtube videos - as it takes forever to load.

Strangely - during the day, the download speed goes upto 45mbps - but I have never seen reaching 60mbps.

And the odd thing is - the upload speed remains consistant for 35mbps all through the day - and has been always fast.

Had series of calls with Telstra, but no help - they said, they have escalated to NBN (which is not in their control anymore).

But I'm paying my bills regularly for services that have been promised but not delivered.

Tried unhooking the Evg2000 modem and connecting the RJ45 cable to NBN box UNI-D 1 Port - and the issue remains.

Note: I'm using speedtest.net to check my internet speed and I have checked my speeds on a near new 2012 imac system, Windows 7 laptop, Ipad (using the modem wifi signal)...etc - the issue remains consistent across all systems with download speed drops terribly - low.

Guys appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Dave.

Community Alumni (Retired)
0 Kudos

Re: NBN 100mbps line drops speed to less than 1mbps after 7pm

Welcome to the NBN, where all customers are treated equally Smiley Happy

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Honoured Contributor

Sorry I'm late to the party. Definately sounds like an NBN network issue. Did you / Telstra get a response yet?

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

I am experiencing the same issues. Our internet stopped working a week ago when NBN upgrades were being done. We were at 1Gbps previous to that! Yes I know its fast! Now at 100Mbps. Have spoke to telstra as now internet drops out numerous times a day. Their solution switch off you modem and switch it back on! It doesnt fix the problem with their service! Am waiting on a call back....not holding my breath it took them a month to call back last time there was an issue!

So yes paying for a sevice which is not working, and Telstra dont care!

Honoured Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KRS,

Welcome to Crowd Support!

First of all can you provide results of a speed test from www.speedtest.net ? The maximum speed provided on the NBN is 100Mbps so you were never getting 1Gbps (1000Mbps). Hopefully I can help clarify what's happening with your service.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HI,

I am having same or similar  issues. My connection speed constantly fluctuates between 12 meg and maximum of around 50 meg (hardly ever, maybe 1 out of 20 times).   I have complained to Telstra numerous times and have gotten no solution.  Also ping test is giving me various results ranging from grade A line to grade D with high packet loss/ jitter.. here is the link

http://www.pingtest.net/result/80797246.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2689077826.png

a minute or so  later

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2689079885.png

I am at my witts end. I have spent numerous HOURS on the phone with "tech"and they seem to always tell me ït will be fixed"or ït is fixed"" last time i rang them the guy told me to reset the modem while I was on the VOIP phone with him.....

Any help would be good.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And once again a little while later, here is yet another result....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2689122018.png    speed test

http://www.pingtest.net/result/80800128.png   ping test

Honoured Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kado,

Please keep your information of your issue to the thread you created http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/NEW-NBN-CONNECTION-NOT-FAST/m-p... so that we can provide the most help. I have replied to that thread and await your reply =)

athania

Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

Hi all

I have had the NBN for 4 days now and dueing the day it drops out about evry hour or so then come back on a few minites later but at about 3pm my speed is that slow that i cant even watch Utube or ot my take five mins to download my e-mail.

I have done speed tests and it telling me that i am getting 95000kbps down and 35000 kbps up but im not getting this on my computers and i have 4 in the house. I have rang telstra who i have a 2 year contract with and they cant help me and they tell me to ring the NBN byt there closed for the night and yesterday when i asked to be tranfered to them ,they told me that it will take adleast 5 days for my serive to run ok.

Its seems like a few peaple i have spoken to that have swapped to the NBN they are not happy with the service.

Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

3 weeks on and i still have slow speed and they don't know how to fix it.

Hooray NBN.

Honoured Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

I personally missed this thread as it's already resolved, next time you're more likely to get noticed if you make your own thread =)

• Can you give me some more information?
  • What kind of speeds do you get?
  • What times do you test this?
  • Have you tried conencting via ethernet ?
  • Have you tried bypassing the modem and connecting directly to the NBN NTD? (The smaller of the two boxes on the wall)
  • Are you trying this on multiple devices?
  • Have you tried either factory resetting the modem or restarting the NBN boxes?

athania

Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

Hi callbeloved

i have the same problem as you u-tubes wont buffer 20-30 secs for page to load.

i have concted to the nbn modem in the garage and thats made no diffrence.

all concened are working on the problem.

Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

spped tests are 95000 most of the time put 20seconds to 2 mins to load web pages.

diffrent times of the day, problem is there nearly all the time.

wireless or lan dont make a diffrence.

direct into the ndt still doesnt fix it ,its a nbn issue for sure but as im geting up and down activety they tell me it ok.

i have reset modemds and telsrta have given me two to try,but with no modem the problems is still there.

i have to say telstra have been the best trying to get the nbn to check there equiment

as nbn was booked to come to my home today but likr i said i have up and down activity so they think itsm all good

even throgh i cant surf the net  or wacth utubes at all.

Regular Visitor
0 Kudos

Is this affecting all wesites you visit, or just some ?  Also as a matter of interest are you located in Victoria ?

Honoured Contributor
0 Kudos

Sounds like it's your computer dude, if you're testing at 95Mb direct to the NTD and it's still slow to browse I would look at trying another computer, disabling your anti-virus or even doing a full computer scan, upgrade / change your browser, upgrade your codecs etc.

athania

0 Kudos

i have the same issue , 

the problem is when all connect together in peak hours the speed drops ,

but telstra does not plan there equipments and infra strucure with 10 to 15 years ahead in population . so that there equipment will support even if the suburb is fully developed with houses. 

so the solution for this is buy a 2 dollar alarm clock wake up in the middle of the night to use the internet Woman Sad

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

I am a big Pond cable customer. For the past few months, my Internet speed outside of 6 PM to midnight has consistently reached 100 Mb per second and even touches 113 Mb per second. Between approximately 6:30 PM to midnight, it drops to 3 MB per second and even lower.  I've just had a Telstra technician check my modem which is working perfectly. He explained to me that this is a common issue caused by congestion as result of the popularity of Netflix and other streaming devices.

Telstra [or the NBN co I'm not sure which]  is in the process of upgrading the HFC network by upgrading exchanges fromQAM64 to QAM256.  I'm told the process will take at least a year but no one has yet been able to tell me when my exchange (Norwood South Australia) will be upgraded.

I suggest a campaign of communications to Telstra is necessary to address this issue and speed up the upgrade.

New Contributor

Welcome to the scam that is NBN.

Big Retail Service Providers (RSPs) do not buy enough backhaul to accommodate the amount of bandwidth that NBN connections demand partly because NBN is selling its capacity to RSPs at 17-20 dollars per MB.  As Telstra does not own any of the infrastructure as part of the NBN they too have to purchase this capacity, and surprise they don't!  What does this mean?  It means that most NBN users experience hideous congestion during peak hours, with resulting latency and packet loss making even the basic internet task devolve if you were back in 1995 on dialup.  Telstra will purposefully try to use subterfuge, stalling, and other techniques to not let you out of your contract so you can try small RSP that may not be so bottom line based meaning you may have a chance of not being congested.  Other RSPs actually limit the bandwidth either through their own mechanisms during peak hours, set usage allowances during peak hours (not successful), or sell unlimited usage plans but on the proviso you will get shaped if you download too much and too fast during peak hours.

All this equates is that most NBN customers who have been on NBN for sometime will try to "Churn" and use other Retail Service Providers (there are 4 ports to the NBN, so your connection does not automatically cease if you try a different RSP for a month.)  You just get the new RSP to connect to Port 2.  What is the cost of this?  Well most RSPs know that Churns are happening because of the appalling product the NBN is, and either will lock you into a contract like Telstra does, and make it extremely impossible for you to get out of it unless you go to the TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman) OR offer no contract but then charge up to 100 dollars in "set-up" costs.  The reality is setting-up a new NBN service is nowhere near this cost, but its for RSPs to basically profit off a known faulty product.  

If that technical talk is abstract think of it like this:

A new technology on the market allows sewer pipe that is 10 times bigger and can flush toilet waste 10 times faster.  The government feels that toilet waste needs to be flushed faster as a national imperative, and sets up a company (SewerpipeCo) to build these bigger sewer pipes into every home, but then when the sewer pipe leaves your neighbourhood it allows private companies to connect (for a fee to SewerpipeCo) to these larger sewer pipes which then allows them to sell the total sewer system to you.   So lets say private sewer company Wasteaway advertises that it can remove toilet waste up to 10 times faster for 30 dollars more than its previous offering.  Even though SewerpipeCo is charging 5 times more per cubic meter of sewerage than Wasteaway was paying previously on the old system, why would Wasteaway build bigger sewer pipes to connect to SewerpipeCo?  Well its probably not in their economic interest:  most people would not notice that their sewerage is not being transported quicker, and the speeds they advertise are clearly labelled "up to 10 times faster" and if you read the fine print there are very little guarantees about speed.  Whats even more profitable is to sell higher speed sewerage systems at a higher price point to consumers knowing that there is very little imperative to actually increase the size of their own pipes.  The problem is that the government never thought about what a rational company would do in this case (why would a company incur costs when possibly a majority of their users never think about the speed their sewerage is swept away).  A rational company would attempt to get as many people on their sewerage plan and have the highest market share knowing that a percentage of people would be unhappy with the speed of their sewerage and eventually lose them (but not before binding them to a 24 month contract).  A company with 5000 people who don't care about their sewerage speeds is probably more profitable than a company that has 300 people who care (and these people who care may demand the company invest in bigger sewer pipes decreasing their profits further).

The government should have provided extremely tight performance parameters to each waste company to protect consumers, and probably should have priced the amount it charges to private sewer companies more in line with what the market could reasonably expect for such a service.  The technology of NBN, nor its actual rollout is or ever was the disaster.  It was the actual agreements that the government reached with RSPs, and NBNco that is the real disaster.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I am also having the same problem as those listed above in these posts.  It started around 6 weeks ago and to date no luck in fixing the problem.

i have tried turning modem off and on, plugging computer directly ntd and modem via Ethernet, moving modem, turning off all devices connected etc.  but each night my internet slows down from 45 Mbps to 4 to 5 Mbps and even seems slower as buffering etc seems painfully slow.  I live in south Spreyton, Tasmania and it's getting frustrating.  I have a family heavily into online streaming (Netflix) and online gaming on ps4, which was the main reason for going with Telstra Nbn, but since 12th August speeds at night have become terrible, before going back up in the morning.

any help/feedback would be appreciated,

regards

jason

Support Team
0 Kudos

Hey jasoncarpenter,

Sorry to hear of the connection issues with the NBN service and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused Smiley Sad

The best contact to have the connection issues with this service investigated further is the NBN Assurance team. They can be reached 24/7 on 1800834273 - IVR Option 3 and will be able to assist further with these connection issues.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, to follow up, I took the advice of the moderator and rang Telstra Nbl support.  After being on hold for 27 minutes, I spoke to an operator who started looking into it.  As it was morning, the speeds were ok but variable, 22 to 33 Mbps, rather than night where it drops to 1 to 5 Mbps.  I believe she was speaking to a tech person, then muttered I will look into it further.. If there actually a problem.. And call you back.  

As you can guess, never did, and there is a problem otherwise I would not be taking the time to ring and sit on hold for 27 minutes.  The issue still exists, but I really don't want to sit on the phone again for that long, not to get anywhere.  Can someone suggest any other way that someone can actually help, that does not involve me taking up more of my own time and apparently wasting it?

Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hi Jason, 

Currently the only way to report this type of issue is by calling Telstra's NBN Assurance team, as listed above.  If you report an intermittent speed issue and provide them with a log of the times that the speed drops, they can place this in the notes and get it investigated further.  Ask for the escalation number so you have a record that this has been done, it would either be a 9 digit number starting 15x or one starting TT1-xxxx.

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Ben,

i have had had the displeasure of making 4 or 5 calls now to the nbn "helpline".  My ticket has been closed twice now without advising me, nor actually recognising the issue.  Every time, they do the speed test in the morning, when I have told the speed is ok, and I have to ring to find out where it is at and get told 73% utilisation so no problem.. Only a problem at night.

i run through the same things each time.. Have you tried turning it off and on.. Have you tried to plug it in via Ethernet etc etc.

at night I am dropping down to 2mbps.  I am not paying for that speed in my plan.. And I wanted that speed I would have stayed with dial up years ago.. Or even adsl which was more stable and faster.

this was never funny to start with, but now it's getting ridiculous.  

I don't know whether just to give up.. Or if there is someone external to Telstra that can help.. Any advice would be appreciated.

one thing I am a little sick of hearing.. Is oh I am sorry, that's not the service we at Telstra want to provide.  Every time.. It's obviously on a card and its very insincerely delivered each time.  They just can't get you off the phone quick enough.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

I have the same issues and no help from Telstra at all. I have provided data on the high latency but because the NBN say they cannot find the fault the call is closed. 2-3 times a week we have to re start the router and it has been replaced twice. I have hard wired the Xbox and gone straight to the NBN box to test but still getting upwards of 250 in latency numbers. If we are on presto and my son logs onto the Xbox Preto freezes and the Xbox is useless. I rang the NBN and they said to hold Telstra to account to push the NBN for a resolution. I took a day off work today as I had a booking for someone to come out but they cancelled last night and then today said if they come out they might charge me. I am going to lodge a complaint with the ombudsman and the ACCC as I am not getting what I pay for. I have 5 mobiles 2 iPads Foxtel and presto with Telstra and no one helps. I am also thinking of launching a social media campaign to get Telstra and the NBN working together to help me. 12 months of ongoing frustration and hours on the phone with no help
Telstra Alumni (Retired)
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Jason,

Can you provide me with a recent reference number via private message from your calls with us? I'll take a look and see if I can help you out.

Nick

Telstra Alumni (Retired)

Hi Mduggan,

I'll ask for the same, if you could provide me with reference numbers (Via PM please) I'll take a look and see where the ticket was sent, what was done, outcomes etc and if there is more we can do to help you.

Nick

Visitor
0 Kudos

I have just connected to NBN a few days ago and already experiencing the massive variance in the speed of the service.

My ADSL connection was much more reliable I feel.

Already had my first call to the faults line. I was told it was going to be escalated, only to receive an email shortly after saying "Thanks for taking the time to contact Telstra today, I hope I was able to resolve your enquiry" 

I guess that means that the operator closed it rather than escalate it.

I was given the full run around as if I was an idiot. If you are on Wifi it will show slower speed test results, well, no that is not true, my installled wireless system is faster than the connection your providing.

Then I get the very technical. restart your modem, restart your computer, öh that didn't do anything?"

plug directly into the NBN box, oh, "it's the same speed?", no, it's actually worse.

I have been monitoring the speeds and although sometimes I am getting what I paid for, often it is slower than my old ADSL connection.

Just deciding when to blow my top. Going to be patient, monitor, call, see if they help. If not, it'll be the Ombudsman I call then

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi nick,  

i am am not sure how to send a pm to you.  Thanks for your reply, I would appreciate any help you can give.  

I cant find my reference numbers though (been a few attempts).  I can only find one that was from your customer assurance team when she said she put another note on my file.  Please let me know if you are able to assist still otherwise I will go through the complaint/ombudsman I guess.

regards

jason

Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hi all, 

In regards to speed issues on NBN services and in order to determine were the fault lies,  I have outlined below the following troubleshooting that is needed:

1. Restart the modem and test the speed once it has finished reconnecting.
  2. Connect your computer directly to the UNI-D port on the NTD and compare the speedtest results. If it has improved, the modem may need to be returned to factory defaults.  
  3. If the speed issues continue then contact Tech Support, on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) Option 3, to investigate further.

If you are noticing a drop in speed at certain times then run the isolation test (computer direct to UNI-D port on NTD) and keep a log, with time, date and speed.  After you have a sufficient number of log entries please report this to our NBN support team so that it can be escalated for further investigation.

If this has been done and you have not recieved a faster service, your next step will be to lodge a complaint.https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

A case manager will be assigned to you and work with you through to a resolution.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Nick,

been through the t fibre team twice.. And had multiple messages left on my account apparently for them to follow up further so I guess the complaints team is next.  Hope I can actually get a result this time.

regards

jason

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, something of an update.  After getting speeds going down to 1.5mbps on Friday I rang again and spoke to the Telstra nbn team.

he went through my notes, managed to get a "tester" to run speed trials and concurred.  Mentioned that even though I had had a tech visit he did not do what he was meant to do here which was disappointing (for both of us!).

He mentioned that he would send all of the data through to the escalation team so that they can no longer ignore the fact that there is a problem with my speed and hopefully they will actually do something about it.

another item of note however was that he mentioned the 50/20 trial was finished.  I must have missed the email somehow as I reviewed one to advise I was on the trial originally,  for the first two months of that trial all was great, then something happened in August and it was crap speeds.  And even though the trial is over as far as Telstra are concerned, I am still getting extremely poor speeds.  Just not getting the highs at pre 6.30 am (think 1.00 am to 6.30am was optimal ) after that it degraded to varying degrees.

anyway, if anyone is interested, I will post the results from my next Telstra experience, in this long running saga.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SighMN You hit it right on the Nail, exactly what is happening in probably 95% of Speed issues. Totally unacceptable and misleading and false Sales information when there is Conjestion solely caused from them not buying us enough - CVC. I have done a post about it here too with my results - very angry I am and still awaiting for Level 3 Tech to ring and demand I return to my reliable Cable until such time I am forced to changeover to the overloaded/conjested NBN because they wont pay for enough to cope. My post here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/NBN-Speeds-Pitiful-Telstra-Con...

“DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.” “MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.”

- Yoda -