Highlighted
Sorap
Level 2: Rookie

2G Network

Answered

Hi, can you please tell me when you first advised customers that the 2G network was closing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Re: 2G Network

Hi Sorap and welcome!

The main 2 articles I can find relating to the shutdown are here:

https://exchange.telstra.com.au/2014/07/23/its-time-to-say-goodbye-old-friend/ - Posted July 2014, advised the shutdown at the end of 2016

and this CrowdSupport article:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Product-Exits/Our-2G-Network-is-closing/ba-p/440992 - Posted April 2015 and gave the date of December 2016.

You can get a 3G SIM burned for free at your local Telstra store and a cheapy 3G phone will usually set you back $30 or even less and you can get some decent little smartphones for $100 bucks these days too Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

It was publicised on here and in the media as early as July 2014. Telstra also started sending out 3g care packages to eligible customers around may/june this year

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Sorap

Thank you for reply, was July 2016 the first time anyone knew about the December 1 timeline?

BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Hi Sorap and welcome!

The main 2 articles I can find relating to the shutdown are here:

https://exchange.telstra.com.au/2014/07/23/its-time-to-say-goodbye-old-friend/ - Posted July 2014, advised the shutdown at the end of 2016

and this CrowdSupport article:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Product-Exits/Our-2G-Network-is-closing/ba-p/440992 - Posted April 2015 and gave the date of December 2016.

You can get a 3G SIM burned for free at your local Telstra store and a cheapy 3G phone will usually set you back $30 or even less and you can get some decent little smartphones for $100 bucks these days too Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy

In 2014 Telstra advised that they will be shutting down the 2g network by the end of 2016, in April 2015 the actual shutdown date of December 1 was announced

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

Also just to advise what @BMac has said. There is also a form you can fill out here: https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/2g-switch-off

Sorap

Thank you all for the amazing responses, very very helpful.

Shaznic67
Level 1: Cadet

I was informed today, after putting in a formal complaint to Telstra, about our lousy mobile coverage, that we were actually in a 2G network area. The consultant I talked to informed me that once the 2G network was switched off, we would have no mobile service in our own home. I was offered an aerial to receive service for the ridiculous price of $950 or they could offer me a $25 a month discount on my mobile plan, but only for 6 months. I think that we should not be financially penalised for Telstra's inadequate service. Does anyone have any insights into this lack of coverage? Both my husband and I need mobile service at home for our jobs. I am a casual worker and receive work offers by text and my hubby has a job which requires messages or calls coming in for when his next job is. It's a blatant rip off. 

TIA

Sharon Bosworth 

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now