Highlighted
WJA777
Level 4: Private Eye

3G Network Shutdown?

Has Telstra given any indication of when they will begin to shutdown the 3G network? This has significant ramifications for phones that do not work with Telstra VoLTE, the recently released Huawei P20 Pro and OnePlus 6 to name two.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 3G Network Shutdown?

2020ish as far as i know
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
WJA777

I'm really surprised that there is so little discussion around the web on this topic. Retailers are selling phones hand over fist that will probably never be VoLTE compliant and yet this can be a reception issue now, if you happen to be in an area that is only serviced by a 4G small cell, and the issue is going to get bigger as time goes on with most new tower deployments being 4G.  If the demise of 3G is in sight, it's really strange that it's not being discussed more.

Wow. I would have expected at least 2025, considering they are still selling 3G only prepaid devices and I would expect Telstra to work on a 2-3 lifespan of those devices. They hadn’t sold 2G for about 5 years and people were still complaining so ~18 months is going to be interesting.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 25: The Singularity

Yes, I would have thought 2025 would have been about the mark for a 3G switchoff as it will be 2020 before 5G even makes much of a dent in most areas.

Mind you, the manufacturers need to get on board and start talking to the carriers to get their ducks lined up. It's not all the carriers responsibility to make sure that phones that are on sale at 3rd party retailers are up to scratch.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
WJA777

But aren't phones that are not VoLTE compliant limited to some extent right now and the situation will get worse? I'm talking about the increased prevalence of Band 28 and 4G small cells. I'm agonising about purchasing a phone that likely won't ever be VoLTE compliant, the OnePlus 6, and am trying to gauge how big a problem that will be for me both now and going forward a couple of years. I'd appreciate any opinion on that. I don't live in a rural area.

Level 22: Superhuman

I can't believe Telstra would dream of closing 3G before 2025 as many 4G pre S6 phones fall back on 3G for voice
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

If you're not in a regional area and you are not glued to your phone 24/7, then you are probably not going to be impacted hugely by the LTE small cell rollouts.

People who have a phone that work on Telstra's VoLTE will receive better service as they will be able to take advantage of the small cell sites, but that is the decision that you will need to make.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mictrack
Level 1: Cadet

if so all 3G GPS Tracker will can not work and have to upgrade to 4G GPS Tracker.

4G/NB-IoT GPS Tracker

When it is shut down then yes, at that stage all 3G only devices will stop working on the mobile network.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 22: Superhuman

It's a pity we don't follow the American model and maintain older systems (with less frequency space to enable refarming if necessary ).
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now