Tug-Boat
Level 2: Rookie

Can't send SMS to "3" (Denmark), also problems to UK

Hi,

I have a Moto g5+ (Android 7.0, latest software) and recently all outbound SMS to "3" Denmark have stopped working, and there is a strange problem with SMS to UK.

The SMS have been working for years, and all of a sudden they no longer work. SMS to numbers withing Australia are working fine. I can also receive international SMS. I also have no problems placing voice calls to the numbers.

I have tried two numbers in Denmark(both on the "3" network) and repeated attempts to send an SMS failed, using a Vodafone service to send to the same numbers the messages are delivered.

I tried a friend in the UK and he reported that the SMS arrived, however, he said that the sending phone number was shown as "TLSSMS" and there was no send time on the SMS. (He tried to just used the 'reply' function and this didn't work - kept asking for a phone number. It took him a while to work out what was 'wrong' with the message).

The SMS are appearing on my bill, so they are definitely being billed by Telstra, even if not delivered.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find someone in Telstra who can look into the problem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Can't send SMS to "3" (Denmark), also problems to UK

Hi @Tug-Boat,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your service, I can understand your frustration.

Can I please confirm how long ago this started?

Please let me know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tug-Boat

Hi Ethan,

I am sorry that I didn't reply earlier.

The last time that I am 100% certain an SMS got through was 1 Feb 2018. The first time that I am 100% certain a message didn't get through was 7 July. Between Feb and July there are messages that I sent, but I don't exactly know whether they worked or not.

The UK number that I tried was not in my phone until I sent the 1st test message to this number (2/8/2018) - so I don't see how the UK "TLSSMS" problem could be related to faulty "stored information" in the phone.

I rang faults (4/8/2018) and requested "Mobile Faults" and someone took all the details (including 3 sample numbers and SMS times), they also looked at the 'logs' for my service and reported that there were "red flags" for the SMSes. Apparently the fault was "complex" and needed to be escalated - so a whole lot of details were recorded. I was told it would take 3-5 days. Today 10/8/2018 I received a text message to say that they tried to call my home number (not the mobile), couldn't get me, and then closed the ticket!!

I have just got off the phone after another 1 hour going through the whole thing again, and again the issue is going to be escalated - but this time it is 7-10 business days! Once again we eventually got to the SMS logs and the "red flags" - so again everything is going to be escalated.

As you say, I am finding this is really frustrating. I am more than happy to help in any way possible to identify and fix the problem. However, it appears very difficult to get to the bottom of what is (not) happening. But, I would have thought that the "red flags" would contain some information - apparently they require a "network trace". As far as I can see, all the settings in the phone are correct. Given that local SMSs work, I can receive international SMSs, I can place voice calls to the numbers in question, and the SMS to the UK arrives (but with a strange sender ID), it is a little bit hard to work out how the phone can be the problem - in addition, the phone is stock standard Android and I would have thought that any such fault would affect lots of phones.

So far one Telstra operator has suggested that because I reported that SMSs to these number could be sent from a Vodafone service that perhaps I should just change my service to Vodafone. (Yes, this was a Telstra person).

Tug-Boat

Hi Ethan,
(This is the 2nd time i have repled - the first one worked, and then just dissappeared and I couldn't find it... I hope that this information is the same as last time...)
The last SMS that I know 100% got to Denmark was 1 Feb 2018. The first SMS that I am 100% certain did not get to Denmark was 7 July 2018. Between then there some SMS that I sent, but I don't know for certain whether they were received or not.

I have tried calling faults and logging a "Mobile Fault". The person that I spoke to on 4/8/2018 recorded all the info and said that he would need to escalate the fault becuase there were "red flags" on the relevant SMS messages. Today I received an SMS that informed me that someone had tried to call my home number, I wasn't there to answer, and so the fault was closed.

I spent 1 hour (possibly more) on the phone today with someone else and they have reopened and escalted the issue again - apparently this is a 7-10 day delay.

As you say it is frustrating because it is difficult to get to the bottom of what is (or is not) happening.
Tug-Boat

Further information is that the number in the UK - the one where the SMS arrived, but came from "TLSSMS" - is a number that I had not sent an SMS to before. So I sent this SMS by typing the number into the phone on 2/8/2018.
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Tug-Boat,

I am sorry to hear that this issue with the international SMS contacts haven't been resolved for you as yet and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you Smiley Sad

You have mentioned that this was reported again over the phone on the 10/08/2018 and it was advised the issue had been escalated again for you. With this escalation was there a reference number provided starting with SR 1-xxxxxxxx that we would be able to request further followup on for you from the Mobile Faults team?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tug-Boat

Hi Dingo,

When I reported the issue on 4/8/2018 I was not given any reference number, the operator told me that he was going to escalate the issue and that there was no number that he could give me over the phone. The SMS that I received on 10/8 contained a "Ref" number of 2274695021. When I spoke to the person yesterday she told me that she had reopened the same ticket so that it was the same reference number (ie. 2274695021). No one has given me any reference number starting with "SR".
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The instance of the sender being displayed incorrectly will be occurring at the network interface at the receiving end. For some reason, it would appear tgat the UK network has associated your number with a premium SMS service (the TLSSMS) I wouldn't surprise me if the Danish network has done the same and has blocked it. Could be along the same lines as the SMS phishing attempts that we see here with foreign numbers.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tug-Boat

Hi Jupiter,

That explanation does make a lot of sense, and would explain what I am seeing.

I had assumed that the problem lay with the source phone number not being supplied correctly to the foreign carrier (UK network supplied a 'default' source TLS=Telstra, Danish network dropped SMS due to lack of source number), but it is also makes just as much sense that the foreign carrier is treating my number as 'special'.

So I guess the next question is that if this is the explanation is there anything I can do to 'fix' the problem?

I have had my number since analog mobile days, and the number is in no way associated with Premium SMS services. Given the number of people who have this number I would really like to avoid changing the phone number.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more