CrowdSupport®
k8ieco
Level 2: Rookie

Cannot receive OTP SMS banking code while overseas

Answered

Hi I cannot receive my One Time Pin (OTP).  I'm travelling in Cambodia and I have a pre-paid Telstra account with international roaming turned on.  Telstra is currently roaming on a provider here called SMART.  I have received codes here in the past so I'm not sure why it is not working anymore.  Any ideas? I receive other SMS messages (not iMessage but actual texts) OK. It's just the OTP that is not received now. I think, but I'm not certain, that when I received codes before Telstra was roaming on a different network here called CELLCARD. But I could be wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
k8ieco
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot receive OTP SMS banking code while overseas

I found a solution! I changed the network the phone was roaming on to another network called METFONE in Settings > Mobile > Network Selection > *Turn off Automatic* then list of all network options appears. When I choose MEFONE all my 'lost' SMS OTPs from last hour or so came through at once. And I am now receiving them in real time as requested/sent. It was obviously and issue with the network carrier at this end. Thank goodness there was another carrier option and they work.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity

You may need to contact your financial institution. Most of the ones based in Australia do work overseas, but not always.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
k8ieco

Thank you for your reply, the strange thing is they all worked (3 different institutions) before. In this country but have stopped working.
k8ieco

I would like to add that I used to receive OTPs in Cambodia with no issues from 3 different institutions in Australia.

Maybe try restricting your mobile to 3G only and try generating the OTP again. It may not like the 4G connection (although if the other texts are coming through, I can't understand why the OTPs would be any different).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
k8ieco
Accepted Solution

I found a solution! I changed the network the phone was roaming on to another network called METFONE in Settings > Mobile > Network Selection > *Turn off Automatic* then list of all network options appears. When I choose MEFONE all my 'lost' SMS OTPs from last hour or so came through at once. And I am now receiving them in real time as requested/sent. It was obviously and issue with the network carrier at this end. Thank goodness there was another carrier option and they work.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now