Highlighted
paulbonusiak
Level 2: Rookie

Cannot send or receive SMS while I'm roaming

Hi,

I am having problems with SMS. I started work overseas last week and flew into the Philippines on Saturday (Oct 25th). Since I got here I have not been able to send or receive any SMS. I have checked my phone settings (Samsung Galaxy S2) and can see no problems. I have roaming activated on my account. I spent some time on the phone two days ago talking to Telstra support but so far there is no change. They haven't called me back yet so getting frustrated.

I also just checked the latest phone charges in my account and I have been charged for the many SMS test messages that I have sent. Sadly none of them have actually gone through and I still have not received any SMS. I have also been charged heavily for the calls received from the call centre which is pretty frustrating when I have no result to show for it. I tried giving the lady my Philippine number to make it easier but even though she is based in the Philippines she could only call an Australian number.

Anyway, if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Cannot send or receive SMS while I'm roaming

Hi paulbonusiak

Service issues while roaming is a difficult one to address, the reason being that you're relying on a completely external network to send and receive on your service. Unfortunately we can't guarantee delivery of your texts, but you might check for information on the network settings for the provider you're using over there, this may help. Regrettably as long as roaming is enabled on your service and you have the right settings etc then our part is done, and there's not a whole lot more we can really do :/ 

Do keep in mind also that when roaming any calls you may or receive will be charged at the applicable rates, again as you're using an external network these charges are passed on to you from the local provider when you make the call or answer it. Also, we generally won't make support calls to roaming or international numbers. I apologise for any inconveniences.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

paulbonusiak

Thanks for the feedback Cas.

Not too sure if the Tech department did anything yesterday but lastnight I received 10 days worth of text messages one after the other. Everything seems ok and I am able to send and receive SMS. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Cheers,

Paul B.

paulbonusiak

I'm still having a lot of problems receiving SMS while I'm here in the Philippines. I received my second batch of SMS on Sunday so that's twice in 4 weeks. It seems that the only time I receive anything is when I am connected to the SUN 3G network. Unfortunately their signal is very weak so most of the time I cannot connect to it. Globe is Smart are the two dominant 3G service providers here and I can get a full signal from them. Sadly that's not good enough to receive anything from home. Dreading getting off the plane next Saturday morning in Sydney and seeing how many missed calls/text messages I have got.........

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi paulbonusiak,

The only thing I can suggest is resetting the phone to reset the signal - otherwise as Cas has mentioned it is really up to the network you are roaming in - apologies for the inconvenience this is caused - have you considered using another form of communication in the meantime?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now