CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Zuvann
Level 1: Cadet

Cant make or receive calls

Answered

Hello,

I recently bought an Honor 7X and I've been having some issues with making and receiving calls. I can use my mobile data and SMS just fine. My phone supports the following bands:

4G LTE TDD: B40/B41

4G LTE FDD: B1/B3/B5

3G WCDMA: B1/B8

2G GSM: B3/B8

Upon inspection, it seems as though the Telstra network supports these. However, I cannot make or receive any calls. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

EDIT: Upon further testing, it seems as though I can make and receive calls just fine in a town that is approximately 40km from my hometown. Yet, I can't receive or make calls in my hometown. Is there any reason for this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Cant make or receive calls

Your only option is to get another phone that supports VOLTE if you wish to remain with Telstra and use phone in home town. If you went with another carrier check that they have 3G available in your home town. 

Optus also use the 4G band 28 (700Mhz) in regional areas.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9

It could be your phone does not support VOLTE (Voice over LTE) and the tower near your home town is 4G only. Normally a phone that does not support VOLTE will drop back to 3G when receiving or making calls but if there is no 3G this could explain why you can use data but not make calls.

I also notice the phone does not support the 700 MHz Band (B28) which is used in many by many of Telstra's Towers for 4G.

Telstra VOLTE compatible phones

Level 22: Superhuman

Yes... you really need band 28 which is used in regional base stations as 700megs provides the longest range.
Was the phone an import or from another network or Telstra? I don't believe Telstra would
sell a phone without band 28.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Zuvann
Level 1: Cadet

cf4 Thanks for the response. Is there any viable solutions for my situation? Will I have to move over to a different provider? Will other providers support my phones network bands or will I have to look for another phone? Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Your only option is to get another phone that supports VOLTE if you wish to remain with Telstra and use phone in home town. If you went with another carrier check that they have 3G available in your home town. 

Optus also use the 4G band 28 (700Mhz) in regional areas.

@Zuvann

To be able to make calls in 4G only areas not only must your phone support VOLTE but VOLTE must be enabled in your account and SIM card must support VOLTE. The early SIM cards did not support VOLTE. To check that VOLTE is enabled in your account ring support. If SIM card is old you might have to replace SIM card.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Zuvann,

Your phone supports 3G WCDMA: B1/B8

Telstras 3G network is Band 5 - which your phone does not support - and is required for voice calls when your phone does not support VoLTE.

You'd need a phone that supports Band 5 WCDMA (otherwise known as 3G850)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

@DeltaSquad

Although band 5 is not mentioned in the first post the phone according to GSM arena does support band 5 850 MHz which would explain why it works in some areas were 3G is available.

GSM ARENA 

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Unless it is the L22 (Indian) version, which does not support 850MHz UMTS. In which case it would work where there is a 3G 2100MHz tower, but not where there is only 850MHz.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I suspect this is the L22 version.

L22 per GSMArena supports 3G 900 and 2100 only - which accounts for B1 and B8

Edit: With the exception of 4G Small Cells, all Telstra Towers have 3G850 Band 5 installed on them as this is our core "Next G" Network

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now