CJ88
Level 2: Rookie

Changes to International Travel Pass

Disappointing to see that the 30 day travel pack for Europe and the US increased from $300 to $450.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
68 REPLIES 68
dalepalmer

Re: Changes to International Travel Pass

WOW !!! I get a whole 75 MB of extra data, and all I have to do is pay double when I go to Thailand

Thanks Telstra

Troubz
Level 3: Gumshoe

telstra.com/newtravelpass is the URL

Should be renamed to telstra.com/newpricehike or telstra.com/foundanewwastoripyouoff

I often travel to the USA

Was previously $10 per day / $140 for 14 days with 700mb it's now $210 with 1.03g, talk about a price HIKE and RIP OFF, I'm looking forward to my contract ending early next year, 2 mobiles, home and internet will be going to a provider that does not try and sugar coat a 50% price increase by giving me 303mb more....

Absolutely disgrafecul

EJ6

Outrageous. Once again, while other providers become more competitive, Telstra prices only go up. I hoped that the new system would solve some of the problems of the old system - restrictive numbers of days, having to keep calling, etc. etc. - but no. Same old clunky system. They just want more money for the same system for all the countries I visit. A lot more money.

Netconn

Not only has a 7-day pass to the USA gone from $70 to $105 (only extra is an 25Mb of data per day... wow) but they have more than tripled the cost of extra data, from 3c per Mb to 10c per Mb.

More than a 30% increase to all costs.

Telstra had a 9.8% profit increase this last financial year, and $4.4bil in revenue... but now lets increase travel costs by 30%.

If I use 1Gb of data for the week I am in the USA, Telstra will now charge me $105 for the pass and $50 odd dollars for the data.

Compare that to Vodafone in the USA, and my total cost for up to 7Gb of data on my plan would be $35 total, instead of $155 for 1Gb with Telstra.

Why I ask?

AndrewSnell1

So, leaving for the UK next week I had planned for a $300 travel pass...now I have to pay $450. Thanks for the 50% price rise Telstra and Happy Christmas.

BTW - any additional data was at 3c per MB, now it's 10c - an increase of 233%

I sense an email to the Communications Ombudsman in my very near future...

This is an absolute disgrace - an O2 plan in the UK is 20 GBP (around $40) for 2MB with unlimited texts and calls - you're charging over 11 times as much...

Suffice it to say that once my current plan is complete you will be losing a customer.

canberran85

This is a substantially worse deal for consumers on an international plan.

- Most Zone 3 countries are currently much cheaper. The passes incease in cost by about 50%!

- Excess data during pass period increased from 3c/MB to 10c/MB... this is a costly increase!

- Data allowances remain grossly inadequate for social media, navigation and research needs when travelling.

- Slight increases in data allowances do not offset the tripling of excess data pricing!

Poor form Telstra. No explanation is provided for these unpleasant increases. This goes in the opposite direction of a lot of improvements to your international roaming deals in recent years which are a key factor when I choose phone providers. Vodaphone Red plans are suddenly looking more attractive.

The only good thing is being able to buy a plan from the app, rather than ringing someone at Telstra in Australia who tells you incorrect information about the time the pass expires!

Jarshwah

What an absolute joke and rip off. The existing prices were already far too expensive, and now you're upping the cost by 30-50% and trying to sell it as a good thing?!

What a disgrace.

I won't be renewing my Telstra service. I hear Vodafone has much better service now, and they've got some really good international products.

I'm submitting a complaint to the ACCC here: https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/consumer-complaint-form feel free to do the same. 

Mickwb

I already thought it was too expensive, and now the price has doubled to goto Thailand. What a discrace, will never be getting another telstra travel pass at those prices.

dayj

Not happy.  We are planning a trip to London next year - $450!    I will be exploring other options.

SherwinA

Hi Telstra, I've been with you for many, many years. I've endured your email bills that only come through once every couple of months. I have changed back to paper and paid the extra $2 a month due to your email servers being unreliable. I have accepted the new $3.50 charge for the paper bills. I have purchased a number of travel passes in each zone and have now gone through this "change" article in anticipation that it made it all easier and was more flexible, despite the fact that the carriers you partner up with are unreliable whilst overseas. The fact that you are increasing the pricing with barely any changes are actually ridiculous. Someone has i'm assuming conducted a price elasticity analysis and has come back with how much you can increase the price without losing too much business, but im here to tell you that this hasnt looked at the bigger picture. Good customers like myself stay with Telstra because it offers an array of services for a reasonable amount. I know its more expensive, but for someone lazy like me, it can be worth it. Now that you have made one of your services irrelevant for me and you are charging me even more to receive bills, I can comfortably notify you that not only will it not be worth it for me to buy another travel pass, but I also wont need to stay loyal to Telstra once this contract is up.

Enjoy.

mic33y

Absolutely disgusted with the new prices. Extra data usage has more than tripled in price. The standard quota is already inadequate.

Telstra, what are you thinking?

Arnor

This is an absolute joke.

I travel for work all the time and run an entiure organisation that uses travel passes regularly.

Congratulations Telstra, you just lost an entire company as a client! Who ever came up with this genius idea should be fired.

Im off to Vodafone and changing the whole company over. Lets see how many more clients you bleed by trying to rip us off at a time when roaming charges in the EU are being completely eliminated and your competition (Vodafone) offers unlimited everything for $5 a day - 3 times cheaper.

I will also be "advertising" this rip off for you for free via social media. You are welcome.

Lets see if other customers see this anouncement as "value"

auhazie
Level 1: Cadet

I and my colleagues use these International Travel Pass quite often. The good news is that we can now order travel passes online instead of going through the rigmarol of the call centre. But I hope that means instant activation and not the possibility of a 3 days wait.  Not so good news for me is the cost increase in data if you have to run over -as I often do during my trips. The plans have increased the data slightly, but the increase in excess data from 3c to 10c per Mb is going to make a huge difference. That's a whopping $100 per GB vs $30 per GB before.  The cost of the US and many other countries has also gone up. So overall, in the age of decreasing telecommunications costs, Telstra has decided to increase fees. There's not a great advantage for the consumer in this initiative.

Rick84

I travel to the USA/Europe twice a year and now instead of 2x$300 I would have to pay 2x$450. Other networks offer $5/day for the same destinations, that's 1/3 of the cost.

Good thing my contract ends this month, I'm done with Telstra. 

Steve90
Just Registered

Hmmm

I think that after a number of years Telsta and I will be parting ways. I came back to Telstra when they became customer focused. I have recommended Telstra to many people since then. Now it looks like they are going back to their old ways, and this massive price increase at a time when international roaming is supposedly getting cheaper, suggests that they hold their small business customers in contemp.

Thats fine. I know where I stand.

Walcol
Just Registered

Recently paid $300 for travel pass for Canada trip. Have trip to UK in 2016, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I will pay $450. You've lost me Telstra.

AlistairGray

Not happy at all. I travel to the States on Thursday (3/12) for 5 days. Previous cost $70 now $105. How a 50% increase in cost is justified is beyond me in a zero inflation enviroment. The cost for my needs was already over the top and now not economical at all and will use other work around and avoid Telstra altogether. 

vchampion64
Level 4: Private Eye

International Travel Pass Ripoff

Does anyone else think the new Travel Pass charges announced today is a breathtaking ripoff?

Travel just about anywhere for more than 14 days and a pass is now $450 !!

Yes, three weeks in say, Paris, and Telstra want $450 for you to use their sim card there.

Really Telstra??  You really think that pricing is ok, do you?

Considering a year ago I could get a Data Pack starting at $30 that lasted me 30 days, this new pricing is an incredible rippoff - which I can't imagine anyone who doenst have their employer paying for it, ever paying it!

And many of us will be looking for a new phone provider.   

Telstra, when  my contract is done, I'm done with you!

Raeldk
Just Registered

Goodbye Telstra. What other business can walk on a 50% increase and get away with it? Utter disgrace showing no regard for those poor customers locked to them on mobile plans. The ACCC shoukd take them to task over this.
Susan21

Telstra! What are you thinking? I'm heading overseas on Wednesday and was excited to get the text about new travel passes. But how disappointing - just massive price increases. I rushed to the phone to order an OLD travel pass today before the new travel pass prices come in. I used to recommend your passes - not any more....

vchampion64

Getting the message Telstra??

See the happy smiling faces in the photo at the top of the page, obviously NOT Telstra customers!

hvs100

Optus & Vodaphone much cheaper.

When I used the International Travel Pass last it was $150 for 30 days in indonesia, they now have moved Indonesia to zone 2 meaning $300 plus an increase in excess MB charge.

Telstra seemed to be on the rise and getting things right but thought that to soon

Moderation: Removed quote of entire post above for clarity

Kalgrm

Heading to UK in 20 days. Telstra WERE going to get $300 from me for the travel pass. Now they'll get nothing from me. I'll just buy a prepaid SIM and/or phone when I get there instead.

As said earlier, Telstra's competition are lowering their prices to get more business. Telstra is going against the trend in both cases.

Idiots.

Cheers,

Graeme

Toushika

Hmmm. I was planning to use a travel pass for our 3-week trip to Europe next year. Looks like I'll be going for a local SIM instead. The old pricing was high, but acceptable. The increases just made it unpalatable. Think again!

Pm3207
Just Registered

This is complete rubbish. Increasing the charge for the UK and US by 50% for nothing! Would strongly suggest you rethink this change..,
Troubz

And as always, no response from Telstra. Great service, great way to respect your loyal clients.

SH2071

Re: International Travel Pass Ripoff

The solution is to buy a local SIM card in your main destination (having made sure before departure that your phone is unlocked). 

I was simply not prepared to pay Telstra's $300 fee for 1 month roaming in UK and Europe earlier this year (now increased to $450). Instead I spent £11 ($25) on a Three UK PAYG SIM card, which more than met my phone needs in both Italy and UK, and which still has £5 unused credit on it for my next trip. 

Gkb
Just Registered

Re: Changes to Telstra Premium Mobile / Go Business Premium Mobile Plans

What are you doing Telstra. In Europe they are reducing roaming costs not increasing them. You just increased the cost of my holiday by $300. Time to rethink this strategy.
sheila

Re: Changes to Telstra Premium Mobile / Go Business Premium Mobile Plans

Good on you Telstra, we've been with you since we were married in February 1970. It seems over the last few years, that every time our contract is up you give us a call offering what seems to be a good deal and get us locked in for another two years. I swore that it wouldn't happen again, got a call last week and you've done it again (for the last time). I'm travelling to the UK next year, if you think that I'll be paying $450 to be able to use my phone for 30 days you've got another think coming. We've got our home phone, Internet, BigPond and my mobile with you. If this is how you look after your long term loyal customers we'll be looking else were. Thank you very much.
eAJ2015
Level 8: Inspector

Under the old rates I though the passes were great under the new rates won't even bother considering them.
davidinnoosa

telstra what a joke - in a time when communication costs are dropping you try this - i was about to post how much i liked my $70 zone 1 14 day package and we are shortly going to uk for a month but there is no way i will pay $450 for that - a 50% increase - yes its inconveneient to get alocal sim but now i will post an unconditional divert on my aus mob with a message to text me on my uk sim and i'll call them back.  a bad move

Scoopster

If you'd like to speak with Seven News about the impact of these increased international data charges on the cost of your overseas trip, please email bseymour@seven.com.au.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Guys,

We have just received an update from our Executive Director of Mobiles, John Chambers.

Thank you for your feedback on the Travel Pass changes.  We understand that parts of these changes have not met your expectations – particularly the movement of some travel destinations into more expensive travel zones. We have made these changes so that we can bring roaming Travel Passes to more destinations and so we can boost the data we include in Passes.

We have expanded the number of countries where customers can use our Travel Passes, which means our customers will now be able to roam with confidence at set rates on our Travel Passes in 20 new international destinations– this expansion of the travel pass covers a range of new destinations around the globe including Austria, Belgium, Chile, Poland and Egypt.

We have heard from our customers that you want to be able to use data with confidence when you travel. To support this we have also increased the amount of data inclusions in our Travel Passes from an average of 50 MB a day to 75 MB a day. And we will be making the Travel Passes much easier to activate and use, straight from your 24/7 app, wherever you are. This will be available from 14 December.

All Telstra Travel Passes will continue to enable customers in Eligible Countries in their zone to make and receive unlimited standard calls to anywhere in the world and send and receive unlimited text messages to standard numbers while travelling overseas.

We continue to listen and explore ways to make roaming affordable and the cost of roaming predictable.  

Source: http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2015/11/30/changes-to-our-international-roaming-travel-passes/

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MikeO

Mr Chambers' response is not satisfying at all. The fact is that prices have significantly increased for the countries I travel to regularly, UK, France, and US. The small increase in data allowance is insignificant compared to the travelpass price increase and the excess mb price increase. I don't care about Austria, Poland, Chile or Egypt.

I won't be buying this product in the future, nor willing I be renewing the pass I am on right now.
Nickxxxx

What the heck? Are your management team living in the 80s? Surely this is ripe for the ACCC.
HarleyR

You insult our intelligence as well as attempt to ream your customers. The fundamental flaw is your assumption that your customers are less intelligent than yourself. If you want us to change telcos, just ask.
vchampion64

IRRELEVANT!  Its the cost that EVERYONE on this forum has complained about.

You have moved from 'expensive', to 'rip-off' prices - which none of us are going to pay and will drive frequent travellers to other providers, permanently.  

tg01
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Just got back from PNG and used a 14 day pass at $10 / day. The new pass is priced at $15 / day (50% increase). This is much too expensive compared to other carriers ($5 / day). I have already switched my home phone / broadband due to Telstra's higher prices on the NBN so it looks like my families' mobiles will be next to move. Goodbye Telstra.
Level 20: Director

One would expect a professionally spun party line from Executive Director of Mobiles, Mr John Chambers.

To give a little credit, Telstra have introduced 21 new countries as per the table below, and some are obviously included to cash in on the expected surge in travel to next year's Olympics in Rio. These include Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico.

However I expect that part of the increase is to cover what must have been significant disputes with the previous Travel Passes as the the implementation had serious flaws. For example, iIn May/June I did visit a number of the countries that have been added such as Belgium, Estonia, Finland; and even though these were not "Eligible Countries", Telstra sent you the standard welcome message outlining the charges from these countries, but going on to say that "... if you have a Travel Pass these charges will not apply ..."  It is reasonable to rely on such a message from Telstra and claim a refund - a serious deficency in the product that I highlighted to Telstra in June 2015, but without as much as a thank you in acknowledgement!

So my view is that in order to stop the flow of red ink in disputes and refunds, Telstra increases the price by 50%, and increases the data allowance for Z3 30 day by 46.6%. A very steep hike in view of the competitive offers in the market.

Two old Zone 1 countries went from Zone 1 to Zone 2, Thailand and Indonesia, both popular destinations where the price for a 7 day holiday has doubled!! ($35 to $70), but the data allowance only increased by 50%! This one does require investigation and justification?

The announcement is silent on the removal of Cambodia from the list of Eligible Countries.

Executive Director of Mobiles, John Chambers statement that "...Travel Passes will continue to enable customers in Eligible Countries in their zone to make and receive unlimited standard calls ... " is very misleading and interpreted by many to mean that anyone calling a Mobile with a Travel Pass will not incur any charges, this is not true, Callers to a Mobile with a Travel Pass will incur the same charge as if that Mobile was in Australia.

It would have been helpful for Telstra to do this analysis, but in my role as Telstra Alumni Leader for 2015, the following table is the list of additional countries (as per above Thailand and Indonesia are not new, just moved)

New ZoneNew Country
3Argentina
3Austria
3Belgium
3Brazil
2Brunei
3Bulgaria
3Chile
3Egypt
3Estonia
3Finland
3Luxembourg
2Macau
3Macedonia
3Mexico
3Nauru
3Poland
3Romania
3Serbia
3Slovak Rep.
3Slovenia
3Vanuatu
2Indonesia
2Thailand
Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the $5 per day offer tg01 mentioned has the benefit of the $5 only being charged on the days that you use it? Handy for Cruise Ships and days at sea?

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

I got it!! I Got IT!!!

This is a strategy to encourage?? long standing Loyal customers on to Telstra Air and use FON (Which, according to the reviews on FON apparently stands for "Faulty Overseas Network")

tg01
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Yes I understand that Vodafone's $5 extra a day is only charged each day you use your mobile internationally - so you don't have to purchase a particular number of days up front and if you don't use your mobile on a particular day then there is no extra charge. However, after further research, it only covers a limited number of countries so for my particular example of PNG I would need to switch to Optus ($10 / day) as this country is not included in Vodafone's list.

Hi tg01
The only reliable carrier in PNG is Digicel, and their SIM offers at the airport are unbeatable (you do have to live with world record "Ping" times of 1500 ms or more!!)
frontier0

Even if your current phone is locked you could buy a cheap andriod phone and local sim wherever you are and still be cheaper than this outdated, imadequate offer.

Highlighted

PS - anyone see the great Channel 7 coverage on this topic tonight? I feel that it is not going away anytime soon, Channel 7 are working on a longer, more detailed segment, Go 7!!

Re local SIMs: Yes, they are readily available and they can be good value, BUT:

The world is getting more paranoid about security. Recently Google made changes to improve? their security proceedures, meaning that if you have a foreign SIM and try to use your Google account (incl GMail etc) you need to re-validate your Identity. 

Firstly, Part of the process to revalidate your identity is that Google send a TXT to the (old) mobile number they have on record, so without a lot of trouble, it is difficult to prove identity - possibly a good thing, but it is a negative for a local SIM.

Secondly, if you have a complex life and need to pay bills while away, any payments obove a modest limit need a TXT security code, which you will not receive with a local SIM.

Thirdly, (and the Telstra product manager responsible for this one definitely deserves a Darwin Award!) If you are in the habit of diverting your Mobile to Voicemail when away - which is a common practice, Telstra send you a TXT if you receive a voicemail message which asks you to dial #101# and you will be phoned back with the message!!

OK, don't jump ahead of me - 1. with a foreign SIM you dont get the TXT, and/or 2. if you dial #101# as instructed in the Telstra TXT, their call back goes to Voicemail as your Mobile is diverted - Genius!! Before calling #101# you must first remove your diversion, get the message and re-apply the diversion!

Another Darwin Award goes to Telstra Guy who sends the TXT to a pre-paid iPad (unlike Myth-Busters you can try this at home!!), Go on - try and send your iPad a TXT! You can not send a TXT to an iPad* Another Darwin Award winner told me to change my pre-Paid iPad message settings from TXT to eMail - go on, try that one at home too! You can not change the message receipt from a TXT to email on a prepaid iPad.

(* If you are an "i" geek and have your iDevices all syncronised, a message to your iphone will appear on your iPad, but you can not send the message directly to your iPad number - iPad number?? Does It have one??)

Too Hard?  Get the Message?

Also note that Excess data goes from 3c/Mb to 10c = 300+% increase
NiceOneTelstra

I’m away from 9th Dec to 26th January so that will now cost me $900 with Telstra and previously $600…

Vodafone offers $5 a day extra for global roaming which for the above period is $210.

I travel to North America or Europe evry 2 months and have been using the $300 package every time. It is expensive but convenient keeping my Telstra number.

Does Telstra want to ditch their customers that travel? Let's see who is still with Telstra after the Christmas vacation.

My business has been with Telstra for 25 years. I’ve been with Telstra for about 40 years and don’t want to ditch Telstra but it looks like it’s becoming too expensive to stay.

Come on Telstra...you have a couple of days before I leave. Admit your marketing mistake and get me the bargain price I’m used to [which is only 3 times Vodafones rate] and I'll stick with you for another 40 years.

Centurion

"Thank you for your feedback on the Travel Pass changes. We understand that parts of these changes have not met your expectations"

"We continue to listen and explore ways to make roaming affordable and the cost of roaming predictable."

- John Cambers, Executive Director for Mobile Products

If John means that our expectation to not be completely price gouged, have the costs tripled for a completely captive customer base that largely are locked into contracts - yes I agree. You have failed miserably.

I could choose to vote with my dollar and move to another provider that gets in 2015/16 we use our smart phones for data more than we actually talk. But of course, it will cost me termination fees despite Telstra shifting the price point way out of the park. 50% increases ? Excess data up 300% (and that's the real rip off) ? How is that in any sense reasonable.

Crunching the numbers though all I have to do is go overseas twice with another provider such as Vodafone and I save move than the early termination fee, the price is that outrageous. So I'm happy to do that.

Of course I don't expect anyone from Telstra to care about loosing me as a customer forever. Rest assured though - I'm happy to spread the good word and give you some free advertising with everyone who ever discusses telecom provider for the next few years.

Bellaball

Mr Chambers response isn't professional or slick, it isn't even an explanation.  They say they have listened but they haven't.  Do they even look at their competitors prices?

The product was expensive before, it is now just a rip off.

I will now just go the prepaid local sim option and just use social media as communication.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now