CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Changes to accessing Messagebank while Overseas

We've made some changes to update the security of Messagebank while you are roaming overseas.. You will now be asked to enter your mobile phone number and a secure 6 digit PIN when you call +61101 to retrieve you voicemail from overseas. If you can’t remember your PIN you can SMS M to +61101 and your voicemail will call you and play your messages. After you’ve listened to your messages you can change your PIN by selecting option 3 from the main menu.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 20: Director

Re: Changes to accessing Messagebank while Overseas

Hi Ashly, As I will be travelling overseas very soon, can you clarify a couple of things please?

1. Up till now, if a message was left on my mobile Messagebank, I would get an SMS from Telstra advising me of such, and giving instructions, such as (from memory) Dial  or tap on the blue highlighted #101#, which was answered by messagebank, telling me to hang-up and Messagebank would call me back and read out my messages.
  2. Does that process still exist? Or when I tap the blue highlighted #101# will I be asked for my PIN?
  3. The process you have described below is very similar to the process for accessing your mobile messagebank remotely from a phone other than your Mobile - in which case there are a couple of important steps missing: firstly you need to wait for your messagebank to answer, and secondly you press the # key, then you are asked for your password (which yes, nobody ever uses and nobody will remember!)
  4. There is a major trap in the process described in point 1 above and the process described by you below, that is: If you have received a message, it is likely that you have your Mobile diverted to Messagebank (agreed that it might be unanswered, switched off or not in a mobile service area as well), but before Travel Pass, it would a most likely practice to have your Mobile "Call Forward" switched to "ON". In which case, before you dial #101#, or +61 101, you must turn your Call Forward to OFF, otherwise the call back from Messagebank simply goes to your Messagebank (And there are complaints that People cant get messages while overseas - there are some 8,000 views of this related topic on CS)

Anything that you can confirm or correct in this appreciated

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
BaristaNo1
Level 1: Cadet

When I enter my phone number do I have to also enter  #  afterwards, or just the mobile phone number?

And when I enter my PIN is it just the 6 digit number or do  I  also have to enter #?

I remember that is what I did when I was overseas in June, but I do not remember the exact steps, and I want to write them down for next time. As I have a pre-paid.

Step 1 - Call + 61 101

Step 2 - Enter mobile number - question with or without  #  ?

Step 3 - Enter PIN - question with or without # ?

thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey BaristaNo1,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

There should not be any need to have the # entered at all after your mobile number and then the secure PIN also without the #. If you do at any time have issues with remembering the PIN number or the process does fail at all, then please have the 'M' sent via SMS to +61101 and you will be called and advised of the messages.

Hope you have a wonderful time on your travels Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

BaristaNo1

Thank you DIngoDan. Excellent.

JY1

i have a prepaid mobile with and international browse plus pack - how do I access voicemail OS?  I don't have a pin Smiley Sad  The SMS-ing M does not work for pre-paids?

Thanks

Jackie

Support Team
Support Team

Hi JY1, 

Come through to our Pre-Paid team via secure Live Chat here: http://tel.st/nxzt and we can assist. 

Glc1972

I have the same problem- i changed my plan from contract to prepaid while overseas, and now i cant make calls, check voicemail or send sms. I can receive sms and have credit. I have repeatedly complained and escalated to the ombudsman, but nothing has happened, and noone from Telstra has bothered to reply. If anyone from the crowd can help, or anyone from Telstra actually cares, help appreciated. Complaint ref SR 1-721125327326.

Hi Cic1972,

You did not say where you were, but changing to pre-paid is often a bad move when travelling as Telstra Roaming is more limited with Pre-paid than with Post Paid.

Also is sounds a bit like you may have had International Roaming turned off (either by default or by accident) when you made the change.

Furthermore, changing from post paid to pre-paid may not happen seamlesley, (depends on many factors such as phone, sim, carrier etc and sometimes you need a different SIM) I had a similar problem just last night and making sure the phone was Hard Reset, ie Reset, Power Off Completely, Remove the Battery if Possibe, take out and re-insert the SIM.

Your best avenue is to call the International Roaming help line on +61 (0) 439 125 109 as all the above shoiuld be able to be sorted out there.

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Glc1972

I am in South America.  And yes, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldnt have changed.

Roaming is on, and has always been on

I have tried calling that number, but I get put on hold so much that my Skype always drops out at some point. Now, it is showing as an unregistered sim, and apparently the idiots have been ringing me and leaving messages, on a phone that doesn't work and where I can't get voicemail. So yes, best to switch before you go, perhaps to Optus.
pmwill

Hi,

I have just returned from overseas and had the same problem with pre-paid, texting "M" always failed in 8 different asian countries. I also had all my calls diverted to messagebank as previously instrusted by Telstra.

kfeindel

Doesn't work on prepaid in Singapore.
Rich63

Hi.  i am currently overseas and just last week i was able to log into my mobile phone (which is under contract - not a pre-paid) by dialing my mobile number and when the answering message comes up i pushed the # key and typed my PIN and hey presto i listened to my voice messages.  This week it rings, my recorded voice message plays and I press # and nothing happens.  i have tried typing in my 6 digit pin after the # key but still nothing.  Are you able to help please.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rich63,

If you already have MessageBank set up, you’ll still get your SMS notifications from MessageBank while overseas, just like you receive them in Australia.  To listen to your messages, just follow the instructions in the SMS and dial 101 or #101#

Please let us know how you go. - Margie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Hi Margie, you are missing one very important step.

If you are overseas, you most likely have your mobile diverted to message bank!

Yes, you get the SMS, yes, you follow the instructions by dialling #101# etc, and MessageBank will ring you with your message - but!! You have your phone diverted to MessageBank, so the auto call back goes to MessageBank.

the correct info is: when you receive the SMS, Firstly turn off your diversion to MessageBank!! Then dial #101#, listen to your messages, then turn your diversion back on. 

Many people would be less frustrated with MessageBank overseas if MessageBank over-rode your diversion settings after you dial 101 etc. Be a hero and put this up as a product enhancement suggestion.

see my extensive postings on overseas travel.

Palpatine - very frequent overseas traveller and Telstra Alumni Leader of the Year 2015

Rich63

Thank you Margie for the response.  My Telstra mobile is turned off whilst I am overseas to avoid the excessive international roaming charges. I use another SIM for the UK. However using applications like Skype I have been able to dial into my message bank by dialing my mobile number and retrieve messages.  Now this functionality does not work and I am unable to retrieve my messages.  Using Skype to ring my mobile number, then press the # key and typing in my PIN has allowed me to access my messages.  This in accord with posted Telstra instructions.  This system has worked well for the last 6 years at least.  But about 2 weeks ago this stopped working. Three weeks ago it did work! I do not want to activate my Telstra SIM overseas and face hefty roaming charges every time I want to check my messages.  Hoping for some help.

2d

Did you receive an answer to this?  Can we access voicemail via skype by dialling our mobile numbers??

Hi 2d, 

Simple answer to your question is "yes". Via Skype it is the same as accessing MessageBank remotely from any phone which is not the associated mobile. This thread and announcement was specifically about direct MessageBank shortcuts, ie 101 from the associated mobile. My previous answer on this still applies to 101 access, Access via Skype, or from any other phone is not affected.

Merry Christmas and have a great trip.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now