Highlighted
abrogard
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cost To Receiver When Calling Overseas Telstra Mobile From Australia

Answered

This menu choice we're forced to make is counter productive.

I've read a couple of threads purporting to answer this but they never clearly do so.

My son is in Singapore with is prepaid Telstra Smartphone.

I call him from here.

Who pays the cost?

One of the 'part', 'unclear' answers seemed to indicate that the cost would be split into two parts and the aus phone would only pay for a local call while the overseas phone would pay a vaguely worded 'balance'.

Not good enough.

Now we don't need dollars and cents.  Have a bit of sense.  The whole purport of the question, of course, is to ascertain where the 'damaging' costs, if any, are.

And we all know that using Telstra phones overseas in some circumstances can run to more than $3 per minute and so on.  That's what you call 'damaging' even if the telcos don't like that word. That's what they are: damaging.

So in short does it 'damage' the overseas person's economy to have them called from Australia?

Simple as that.  It's like pushing it uphill sometimes trying to get a straight answer but how about that?  Should it sensibly be avoided?

Will the bill shock them?  On the Telstra system how do they ascertain immediately how much a call has cost them?

If accounting procedures are such that they can't find out immediately how soon can they find out and what buttons do they push to do it?

I repeat: the essence of this simple question is:  should we avoid calling prepaid mobile smarthphones from aus. when they're overseas?

Can some gentleman or lady please provide the definitive, sensible answer?

regards,

ab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Cost To Receiver When Calling Overseas Telstra Mobile From Australia

There are a number of answers here which are pretty clear on this but I will answer it again...

It is pretty much exactly what you said. The person in Australia is charged a standard call to an Australian mobile from their service (that would depend on their plan as to the exact dollar amount) and the person who is travelling is charged at a roaming rate.

The current roaming rate for prepaid in Singapore is: "Make and receive a call - $1.50 per minute"

So if you have, say, unlimited calls to mobiles and you call him, you will not be charged as it would be considered a normal Australian mobile call for you, but he would be charged at the roaming rate of $1.50 per min.

The rates for each different country are here: https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/pre-paid-mobile#check-availability
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You will pay for a local call and your son, in this case will pay $1.50 per minute.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Accepted Solution

There are a number of answers here which are pretty clear on this but I will answer it again...

It is pretty much exactly what you said. The person in Australia is charged a standard call to an Australian mobile from their service (that would depend on their plan as to the exact dollar amount) and the person who is travelling is charged at a roaming rate.

The current roaming rate for prepaid in Singapore is: "Make and receive a call - $1.50 per minute"

So if you have, say, unlimited calls to mobiles and you call him, you will not be charged as it would be considered a normal Australian mobile call for you, but he would be charged at the roaming rate of $1.50 per min.

The rates for each different country are here: https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/pre-paid-mobile#check-availability
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 19: Deputy Director

Yes you should avoid it. Skype over wifi.
Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"
Level 20: Director

In support of DrQ's advice, there is a long standing principle here; the caller will only pay what they would normally expect to pay for a call to the particular number, and if the called party is overseas, the called party picks up the excess.

For prepaid customers heading overseas it is critical that you read and understand this https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/pre-paid-mobile#check-availability

Overseas roaming is improving year by year, and while roaming with prepaid is now an reasonable option, as a regular overseas traveller, I still prefer the post paid package offers where there is little difference in how you use your phone overseas vs being at home, although mobile data is more limited (200 Mb per day)
Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now