Highlighted
mattbastin
Level 4: Private Eye

Cost of International Roaming

Answered

Why is international roaming so expensive? Are the costs more or less arbitrary? If not what are they based on? I know there has been steps to recently severely reduce the costs but they still seem to much to me. Do overseas vistors coming to Australia make use of Telstra as a carrier for their own mobile phone?

It seems to me a bit like other banks' ATMs. The fees seem to be unecessary. (The cost of a transaction for another bank would cost far less than $2.50)

Can't national carriers be satisfied with international reciprocal agreements? What are my options if I want to use my phone overseas? I plan to visit France, Switzerland and Italy in January - February 2015 and my smartphone is on a Telstra plan. I'm more interested in using data rather than calls or text. Internet access is obviously invaluable whilst overseas and I do not need to bolster my argument on that with examples.

Thanks

Matt Bastin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Cost of International Roaming

Hi Matt,

Great post and very good questions. I believe you will find this site great and have all the answers to your questions, goes quite in depth while still being understandable to the average joe: http://goo.gl/cM923W

If you didn't want to pay the high costs for roaming packages overseas, I would suggest buying a prepaid sim in those countries and using that data. A quick Google search of carriers and options for France, Switzerland and Italy will provide you with a range of options. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Cost of International Roaming

Hi Matt,

Great post and very good questions. I believe you will find this site great and have all the answers to your questions, goes quite in depth while still being understandable to the average joe: http://goo.gl/cM923W

If you didn't want to pay the high costs for roaming packages overseas, I would suggest buying a prepaid sim in those countries and using that data. A quick Google search of carriers and options for France, Switzerland and Italy will provide you with a range of options. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more