Highlighted
karojosh
Level 2: Rookie

Cost of International Roaming

Answered

It isn't clear on this part of the telstra website (http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/) whether international roaming usage costs are incurred separately to, or included as part of, a telstra plan. Some clarity would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
karojosh
Accepted Solution

Re: Cost of International Roaming

I found the answer in the critical information summary:

"Your Monthly Call Allowance can’t be used for calls, SMS or MMS  to international numbers or while overseas"

ok. That was some work. but I got there in the end Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

Hi there Karo, a little more info from you. I take it we are talking a mobile phone that you are going to be taking overseas? Post paid or prepaid unit? What plan are you currently on?

And where are you travelling too?

As a general rule, the cost of Phone calls comes out of your prepaid amount or if you are a post paid customer the cost of calls is added to your monthly bill, just as they would be if in Australia. NB, you should check the call rates with the Telstra International roaming site for the country or countries you are going too, they can be very expensive. Also Data can burn a Big Big hole in your budget when overseas. Best to invest in an International Roaming Data pack.

If you go to the following link you can check International roaming availablity for destinations and the call rates that apply, either for post or pre paid. You can also check the pricing for International roaming add on data packs.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/availability-pricing/post-paid/

sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
karojosh

Hi Deanja,

thankyou for your response.

You wrote:

"if you are a post paid customer the cost of calls is added to your monthly bill, just as they would be if in Australia."

Which doesn't add clarity. Let me explain.

In the telstra critical information pdf for mobile plans it reads in part:

"Call and MMS charges in Australia These are the main charges used to calculate your usage for your Monthly Call Allowance. If you go over your $550 Monthly Call Allowance each month, the following additional charges will apply: "

and

"Calls, SMS and MMS to international numbers You’ll be charged if you make calls, SMS or MMS to international numbers. The main charges that apply: "

Whilst no direct statement is made to this effect in the critical information pdf, it may be inferred from the above statements that there are 2 types of numbers relevant to biling, those which incur charges that may be deducted from the monthly call allowance, and those which incur charges which are directly billed (in addition to any mandatory monthly plan costs).

If, and I can only make an assumption at this point, given the lack of clarity on the subject, there are in fact these 2 types of numbers, which of the types of numbers are calls made, using a mobile phone on a telstra plan, in a country outside of Australia?

karojosh
Accepted Solution

I found the answer in the critical information summary:

"Your Monthly Call Allowance can’t be used for calls, SMS or MMS  to international numbers or while overseas"

ok. That was some work. but I got there in the end Smiley Happy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Nice work Karojosh Smiley Happy 

Thanks also for letting us know  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now