CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
pduffyd
Level 2: Rookie

Data Packs no longer !

Answered

Well I am disapointed! The basic International casual data pack was a great idea, and easy to get more if needed, not the mention good value. Now I am forced to consider Travel Pass that is 10 times more expensive for the 30 day period.

Nothing to choose from. Now what. I dont live on my phone so I dont require 1.5gb for 30 days, 100mb was fine for a bit of email and viber. Is Telstra going to come up with something inbetween all or nothing, because the casual data pack fitted the bill nicely! 

Oh if you delete a product, maybe you should update your site, as you are nearly 3 months out of date, as you can still apply for casual data packs online and on 24x7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Data Packs no longer !

Hi Again pduffyd,

The problems when things just bget too complex! The information you have been given from the Telstra Staff is WRONG

For some reason the International Data Packs are not available via phone or TShops, and they will/may tell you they have been deleted - not true!! But yes, you can only get them on-line or via the 24x7 App

The Crowd Support site is updated - see my post of 20 Mar

Re In Country SIMs, please read:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/International-Roaming/GOING-OVERSEAS-A-FOREIGN-SIM-OR-A-ROAMIN...

I Repeat - the Travel Pass is not the only plan available, Data Packs are still available on-line, and I agree that they do work well.

I will escallate your concerns and double check what you and the hot line are saying - it might take a day or so

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16

Hi pduffyd,

Thanks for your comments. While this is an open forum, most of us go to some length to present our problems and responses with some accuracy.

There is no plan that I am aware of to discontinue the International Roaming Data Pack, and in fact it is the only pack available for pre-paid travellers as the Travel Pass is only available for Post-paid acounts.

The 100 Mb ($29); 300Mb ($85); 600Mb ($160) and the 1.5Gb ($350) are still offered through:

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming and tap the "Mobile Broadband" tab under point 2 "Travel Discounts"

I do concede that the change to this site initially appears that the Data Packs have been discontinued and the promotion of the various offers could have been presented in a better way - I have made this point quite clearly to Telstra's Digital Team

I travel regularly and have used the 300Mb data pack over 30 days on a number of occasions. 300Mb is sufficient for emails, and 3-5 photos posted per day, with one or two skype or viper calls in the month. 100Mb for a month would require great discipline.

To compare apples with apples, the 30 day Travel Pass includes 1.5 Gb of data, and unlimited voice calls, both made and received to/from "Standard Numbers", and compares well with a number of other carrier offers promoted at $10 per day. To make comparisons between  a Travel Pass with a 100Mb Data Pack is rather misleading?

While we often try to limit our voice calls when travelling, (time differences and cost being reasons) I still find  commercial organisations ignore your MessageBank instructions and expect you to call them back. I am a bit unsure of the value of the Travel Pass voice calls, but I am going to Europe in May and I am prepared to give the Travel Pass a test run.

Gerd Schenkel's original post was 2011, and there have been changes as you point out. However there was a major update to this post (by myself) only last Friday 20 March 2015. Already this updated post has had 448 views. I recommend that you have another look at the update: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/International-Roaming/checking-international-roaming-costs/m-p...

However you do raise a very good point about superseded and incorrect information on Crowd Support posts, and this too has been the subject of much (heated) discussion within Telstra and between Telstra and Contributors. One option (that both you and I appear to support) is to simply change the original post to reflect the current situation. The other argument is that Crowd Support is generally a public forum, moderated by a small group of Telstra staff, and as such the historic threads should remain as posted at the time, with incorrect information updated by later comments on that topic (as has been done in this case). One issue with this arguement is that you (the individual user) can set your preferences to read posts from oldest first or newest first, and in your case you are possibly reading Oldest First and you may never see the updates.

Keep in mind that Crowd Support noe has more that 200,000 posts, so keeping them all up to date becomes an industry in itself. Maybe we should regularly check the relevance of posts with some benchmark number of views, say 1000, or 10,000??

Thanks again for your comments, and any further thoughts you have on this particular topic will not go un-noticed.

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
pduffyd

Hi Palpatine

Well according to Telstra who I contacted twice, two different people, on the 125109 number, the international casual data packs have been discontiued since December. The site they said, has not been updated yet, I do have the reference numbers for the conversation too.

So as you say apples and apples.

The point I was trying to make was that the only plans left are now very expensive. Its cheaper by a mile to just get a month on a local SIM in the country you are in.

EG my wife is in Canada for 10 weeks, so that equates to 2.5 months or so. Or 3 travel packs at $300 each. Not going to happen!

Or $150 for 3 months on a local Rogers SIM. The data pack would have been preferable even if it was $50 a month.

Still its a poor descission for Telstra to get rid of options, and try to force people down a very expensive road.

I thought the data packs worked well, and made it not worth changing carriers for a month or two just for data.

After all a Txt for 75 cents or a call for a couple of bucks is acceptable. Unless you live on a mobile, in which case the travel pack is a winner. But still a local SIM would be cheaper, in Canada anyway.

Yes they "seem" to be still available online as the website suggests, but there are no confirming emails for activation, and as I said before the Telstra International roming data pack hot line told me twice that they have been discontinued. You can even go on to 24x7 app and buy them. But they dont work, trust me I used them in Canada last Aug~Sept and in Norway in Oct~Dec. But you cant get them now. 

Anyone else got them now?

Accepted Solution

Hi Again pduffyd,

The problems when things just bget too complex! The information you have been given from the Telstra Staff is WRONG

For some reason the International Data Packs are not available via phone or TShops, and they will/may tell you they have been deleted - not true!! But yes, you can only get them on-line or via the 24x7 App

The Crowd Support site is updated - see my post of 20 Mar

Re In Country SIMs, please read:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/International-Roaming/GOING-OVERSEAS-A-FOREIGN-SIM-OR-A-ROAMIN...

I Repeat - the Travel Pass is not the only plan available, Data Packs are still available on-line, and I agree that they do work well.

I will escallate your concerns and double check what you and the hot line are saying - it might take a day or so

pduffyd

Thanks Palpatine. I look forward to an answer from Telstra on this issue. Still makes you wonder why they deleted them for purchase by phone or shop.
As a buy line, I still dont have a confirmation email on the purchase 36 hours after. Maybe later today?
I will viber my wife and see if she has a txt on her phone from telstra aswell.
pduffyd

Hi Palpatine.
Well Telstra is doing away with the data packs, I have a letter now from them saying that from 12th May Data Packs will no longer be available for purchase.
So that may explain why I could not purchase them anymore. When I tried online last month it seemed to work. But there is no sign on my new bill so I guess it didn't work. Go Telstra!!
sleepysong
Level 1: Cadet

Very disappointing that they've done away with these data packs.  I used them last year and were perfect for me.  I don't need to makes calls/send texts when I'm overseas, just want to use the internet when not able to connect using wifi.  Just tried to buy the $29 one for an upcoming trip only to be told they're no longer in use.  The alternative they now offer is much more expensive - I guess because it includes calls.  But like I said, I didn't want to make calls...*sigh*

pduffyd

Hi Sleepysong,

yes disappointing is one word for it.

I too use these packs in the same way you do.

I travelled around Canada and Norway over 4 months last year. These packs were perfect!!

There is no way I would have spent an extra $1200 on a travel pack on top on my "plan" for 4 months calls and data ($300 a month on top of your plan for 30 days usage), but an extra $120 for data only for 4 months was perfect ( $29.95 a month for 100Mb data, bigger packs were available if needed) when not within wifi range.

I tend to use viber when overseas anyway. Then block all calls only, as receiving Txts is free in most places. So I can answer those with viber to, or Txt back at a 75cent cost per txt.

Telstra should still offer both I think, just another option out the window with no sensible explanation, or alternate.

Maybe the managment do not understand how people can do without phone calls, when overseas. Its our option to choose weather to use the phone or not, at 2 ~ 3 dollars a minute while overseas its still not expensive to make a call if you have to. Again it is our choice.

One thing I forgot to mention is, as i said above, in a previous message in this post, that you could still buy them online, and everything went through as though all was good, but they didnt go through so the data pack was not purchased. The only way I know this was I tried to get them in March for my wife who is in Canada at this time, everything seemed to go through from the 24x7 app on my phone, the only way I found out that it didnt go through was there was no confirming email or Txt from Telstra. Again I tried online, all seemed good also, but again no email or Txt. So I started this post last month, I was told that you can still get them by another member, but as it turns out they were wrong.

I have just received my bill for this month and I can confirm there were no Data Pack purchases, so the web site is very much out of date I am afraid.

Quoting Telstra; Andy Ellis, Head of Customer serivce and contact centres;

Data packs no longer available

From the 12th May 2015, you'll no longer be able to purchase Data Packs. Any existing Data Pack will continue to apply (and count towards your monthly allowance) until you remove it. Once removed, it can't be reapplied.

Hi Sleepysong,

Yes, I too am very disappointed in Telstra's discrimination between Post-paid and Pre-paid customers, in that you can still buy the Data Packs for a pre-paid mobile, but only on-line. Any Front of House channel will tel you they are not available at all. Also, if you have  a WiFi (or USB) mobile broadband router device, you can have the Data Packs applied to that device, or to an iPad or similar tablet with a SIM. (which half the tablets do not have) See: https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming and click on the "Mobile Broadband" tab under circled point 2 - Travel Discounts.

Hi  Pduffyd

Are you able to post the words from Andy Ellis on this thread, I'm interested in the detail of what he says in that announcement, and what the future options for pre-paid are?

I have tested the purchase of a $29 pack on my pre-paid iPad, and that worked, and my prepaid account was debited OK.

I also tested the $29 pack on my post-paid iPhone, that appeared to work, but I got no confirmation (as I feel you experienced) but I did get a TXT 4 days later saying:

• "Sorry we are unable to add a $29 Data Pack to your service. Call us on +61439125109 for Travel Pass Activation. From Telstra Team."

Like you - I would be happy with $29, but because I am Post-paid, I am forced to spend $300

pduffyd

Hi Palpatine,

I shall type out the letter as I cant find a way to scan an attach it. I have a post paid plan $95/month with data share SIM.

Letter Date 1st April 2015, (no april fool this one).

An important change to your data share plan

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

We want you to get the best value from your Mobile Accelerate Plan. So we're making a change to how data is added and charged, above your monthly allowance.

A simplified approach.

Until now, you've been charged per megabyte for any data over and above your shared monthly data allowance. We're now offering a simple, good value alternative.

$10 blocks of extra data.

From 12th May 2015, if you go over your included monthly allowance, Extra Data will automatically top-up your data allowance and will be charged in blocks of1Gb for $10 each. Extra Data is for use in Australia ans any unused data will expire at the end of your monthly billing period.

Available to all users in your group.

You can share your Extra Data with other eligible services on the same account. We'll switch the following service (and any data share SIMs associated with them) to the Extra Data feature.

Service Number 04xxxxxx

You'll receive an SMS to each service when Extra Data feature has been applied.

We want you to feel in control of your data.

(Im sorry, I have to butt in here and LOL LOL LOL.)

We'll send you an SMS notification when each 1Gb Extra Data block is applied. This replaces your per megabyte(MB) excess usage rate.

You can opt out of the Extra Data feature by calling 1800 461 533, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Data Packs no longer available

From the 12th May 2015, you'll no longer be able to purchase Data Packs. Any existing Data Pack will continue to apply (and count toward your monthly allowance) until you remove it. Once removed, it can't be reapplied.

Need more information?

This change gives you certainty of what you will be charged if you exceed you shared mothly data allowance, which we trust you'll appretiate. for more details, please visit telstra.com/extradata

best regards

Andy Ellis.

Head of Customer Service and Contact Centres 

So there you have it!! No point of contact for this letter other than through the website at the end.

Oh VODAPHONE have a good idea look below, Telstra beat that!!!

See the world with Vodafone

There’s no need to get a local SIM or search for a Wi-Fi hotspot with Vodafone's $5 Roaming deal. Use all the data, call and TXT inclusions from your plan in 47 countries for just $5 extra per day. You’ll only pay on the days you make or receive a call, send a TXT or use data. View details and exclusions.

So you can discover local restaurants on-the-go, share pictures of your travels in the moment (everyone back home will be green with envy) and call loved ones from the convenience of your own phone and number.

You’ll automatically have $5 Roaming if you connected your plan from 23 April 2014. If you connected your plan before this date, you can select $5 Roaming in My Vodafone provided you are on an eligible plan.

Hi Pduffyd,

I dont think it is that clear - I feel that the letter from Greg Ellis refers to domestic data packs, not the International Roaming Data Packs - too many data packs with too many similar and confusing names. The "Share plans" are also domestic only as far as I understand.

I have looked at the Vodafone offering as well - you can only get the $5 per day if you sign up to a plan, and it does not finish up as attractive as first promoted.

pduffyd

Hi Palpatine,

Well im post paid as is my wife and we cant get Data Packs. Its that simple.

There are none available for us, and at the end of the day thats what counts, right?

It is Andy Ellis to, not Greg.

Im not bothering with this anymore, you simply cant get Telstra to listen, Im 50 and over it!

I just renewd my contract for 24 Fing months knowing that I could get this service when I travel, but you cant.

I am damn glad my wifes is out of contract, we will be looking else wear.

Yes it means that much to us.

Bloody Telstra.

The only way they notice is when people leave,

Time to switch, internet and phone line too me thinks.

Just for clarification, you can still get an International Roaming Data Pack for a Post paid Tablet (if it has a SIM) and for a Mobile Broadband Router, or for any Pre-paid device, you just can not get them for a Post paid mobile. And, you can only buy them via MyAccount or the 24/7 App, any Telstra person you speak to, ie TShop, 132200, Live Chat etc will tell you the data pack is not available.
Support Team
Support Team

To add further clarity

In regards to Mobile broadband, this would be for Telstra Mobile broadband

Bigpond Mobile Broadband is charged at a Pay As You Go (PAYG) rate $3.00 MB (charged per KB or part thereof) 

We have the international data pack options listed here by clicking on the relevant service https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

eliz2
Level 1: Cadet

So, I've been on hold for 30 minutes on the phone to find out that the data packs are no longer available for international roaming. Now another 3o minutes waiting for the live chat. look here, and the problem was reported in March last year!! That your web site still advertises these data packs, but they are only available online. Not great web site maintenance

Hi Eliz2,

I do appreciate your frustration. You will probably get the same answer from live chat as you did on the phone, and that is that data packs are not available - which is half right! 

Data Packs, now known as International Browse Plus Packs are only available on Pre-paid Tablets or Mobile broadband devices (and to some business services but I will assume that is not you)

the he best way to order is via your Telstra 24/7 App. You need to add a prepaid tablet to your account, select that device and select "Buy Plus Packs". 

You our have a $29, 100 Mb; $85, 300; and $160 for 600Mb, all with 30 day expiry.

If you have a post paid device such as a smartphone, your best option is a Travel Pass which includes unlimited voice calls. There is a choice of duration and size, and price varies with zones travelled, see:

https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming

you can also order "Travel Data Packs" (which is what they are called here) from this page, but as I said before, only for pre-paid

Hope this helps - I have written extensively on this subject, so review some of my earlier posts on International roaming, some are now over a year old, but still relevant

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now