Tom16
Level 1: Cadet

Email address to query international roaming charge

Answered
I flew direct from Melbourne to Doha this week on Qatar Airlines . I did not turn on flight mode . The flight had a WiFi service . I received a Telstra text mid flight saying I had been billed $100 roaming fees . ( now actually $179) . I rang the direct telstra line when I landed to complain and now have a case number but was told I can’t do any thing till a bill is issued . I am away for several months and now are on a different Sim in Europe. Has any one had a similar experience ? Also I need an email address to contact Telstra as my Telstra app no longer works , not Telstra support chat and I don’t want to waste a lot of money and time ringing Telstra . Could
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Email address to query international roaming charge

There is no email address to contact. The options from overseas are calling +61 439 125 109 or https://livechat.telstra.com

Mobile phones can pick up signals from the ground when in a plane (phone signals travel about 35km from the tower - probably more since there would have been no obstructions). Hence how you managed to get an SMS mid flight, most likely explains the roaming fees as well.

Your plane probably flew close enough to pick up a signal at Sri Lanka, India, Oma, UAE, Yemen & Saudi Arabia. Plenty of opportunity to use data updating, especially if your phone has a download booster function and it is activated.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Email address to query international roaming charge

There is no email address to contact. The options from overseas are calling +61 439 125 109 or https://livechat.telstra.com

Mobile phones can pick up signals from the ground when in a plane (phone signals travel about 35km from the tower - probably more since there would have been no obstructions). Hence how you managed to get an SMS mid flight, most likely explains the roaming fees as well.

Your plane probably flew close enough to pick up a signal at Sri Lanka, India, Oma, UAE, Yemen & Saudi Arabia. Plenty of opportunity to use data updating, especially if your phone has a download booster function and it is activated.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now