CrowdSupport®
Rashman
Level 2: Rookie

HTC 5G Hub and Netgear Nighthawk 4Gx (both have 5G WiFi protocols

Astonishing speed around the CBD sydney but it is a pity that in my configuration that speed is offloaded by way of Ethernet to one of my MacBook Pro and am using the the Netgear as the WiFi router for the network as it far more competent and also backward compatible. For example the HTC does not allow for any wireless band “g” devices which is just inconvenient. Also I tried to use the MacBook Pro as a hotspot and it was not coping in that role

i ended getting MacBook Pro to take the benefit of nearly 300 Mbps !! And the the Netgear did the rest at around average of 40Mbps...the network is better using both Ethernet and WiFi - Just wondering whether any else has better suggestions re networking (mainly multimedia files for streaming and downloading) - the speed so much more than the NBN but the ping is 33ms which is not as good as broadband - that is the latency of broadband suggests that it is more reliable?? Don’t know - still early days but wow impressive speed!!

Rash

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Rashman

Re: HTC 5G Hub and Netgear Nighthawk 4Gx (both have 5G WiFi protocols

So set up a "bridge" configuration for ethernet connection to the MacBook Pro via the Belkin Thunderbolt Express 3 Hub (this does not work for MacBook or Surface Go (via the Microsoft Hub which is smaller both in capabilities and size to the Belkin) - using the Netgear as the WiFi router as it also is backward compatible and in my opinion a better router than the HTC HUB which is more like another android mobile device.  Speed wise it is way better for example.  The 5G speeds in inner Sydney on 5G go to 350Mbps, (with ping at 18 and upload 53.25) - so way faster than NBN (in my case have the cable which now looks like a joke in terms of speed).  

The only issue I am having in this network configuration (as in one home network with the Ethernet bridge) - I am not a IT Chap or do not have a background, but enjoy tinkering as the benefits of technology for day to day does get better/ quicker etc.  

So I have got the Apple/ Microsoft devices taking - but cannot get into the HTC HUB which would be beneficial having in the network - and the HTC is connected to the Thunderbolt, but Cant seem to locate.  Had similar issue with the Seagate Wireless Plus external hard drive with the Macs - in my view you are wasting your time as Seagate is useless even with Samsung Smart Switch app.  It works like a breeze in the Microsoft environment.

Anyone have suggestions on bringing in the HTC device in the Network? And is the ethernet bridging with Netgear Wifi the best option in terms of optimisation of the fast download speeds. thanks. 

Rash
Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

Good to see technology working well for users. Would you clarify a few things - by 5G Wi-Fi you mean 802.11ac protocol - 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs being visible.

1. The HTC 5G Hub supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ad - what 'g' device is not working for you?
2. Are you connecting the Netgear M2 to the HTC Ethernet port because all your existing equipment is connected to the M2 and want to use the HTC purely to access the external 5G WAN link, effectively making the M2 your Wi-Fi Access Point.

3. Why not just use the HTC for its intended use and connect a LAN switch to its Ethernet port and connect wired and wireless devices as appropriate.

Mkrtich

Good to see technology working well for users. Would you clarify a few things.

1. The HTC 5G Hub supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ad - what 'g' device is not working for you - can it not see a HTC 2.4Ghz SSID in addition to the 5 Ghz SSID?
2. Are you wishing to retain the Netgear M2 for all your Wireless and Router functions because all your existing equipment is connected to it and only wanting to use the HTC Hub for its external 5G WAN link? 

3. Have you considered using the HTC 5G Hub for its intended purpose and get a Netgear LAN Smart Switch and connect it to the HTC 5G Hub LAN port. Connect all respective devices to their wired or wireless preferences. Does the HTC 5G Hub have no router functions? 

Rashman

HTC does not support 2.4Ghz which includes some devices on wireless N (example I stream Hi Res music on the latest Astern & Kern which is not compatible with HTC Hub).

So to get the maximum from the HTC - I have connected it directly to my MacBook Pro (via ethernet) which does all the work for my multimedia streaming eg Movies, Music etc and am getting speeds beyond 300Mbps - which is a lot more than my Netgear Nighthawk 4Gx.  I use the Negear as the router and wifi for all my other devices and my MacBook Pro connects to the other devices on this wifi network (have put the wifi in "bridge" mode so it preserves the full capacity in terms of speed of the HTC and now also talks to the other devices on 5G wifi via the Netgear router.  The Netgear  also provides internet connection to the other devices as well as acting as the router.  I think this way have the benefit of sharing the both modems on the one network.

I am not an IT expert, the above configuration appears to provide me with the optimal solution for the network using both modems. 

Rash
Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback. If it works for you, that is all that matters.

In case you may wish to experiment some day in the future. Its not clear if it is a mutual exclusive arrangement or if one (2.4Ghz) or the other (5Ghz) but not all three standards - n/ac/ad at the same time.

https://www.htc.com/au/support/htc-5g-hub-telstra/faq/what-do-i-do-if-i-cant-detect-my-hotspot.html

Rashman

Thanks / yes I agree with your suggestion it would certainly work as both a router and for internet use - however I would not get the benefit of the data pack that I also have (sharing data across all devices) with the Netgear.  This way I am getting the benefit of my data plan usage for both 5G and 4G+ - the latter has a higher data allocation then the 5G Hub which is limited 100GB.  I am assuming that my configuration works in terms getting optimisation for both modems in one network?

Interestingly that data share includes my Samsung Note10+ - but I am still having issues connecting to the 5G network (have tried the alternative APN settings "telstra.iph" - still getting 4G+).  

Rash
Level 25: The Singularity

The HTC 5G Hub does support 2.4GHz wifi (802.11b only uses 2.4GHz).

You Note 10+5G should be using telstra.wap for its' data connection, but it should connect to the 5G network even on the wrong APN (you just won't get data thoughput).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Rashman

Thanks for your reply on the Samsung.  I did previously have it on "telstra.wap" and just then tried it again - and I don't get past 4G+ much like the Nighthawk but no 5G (have tested it ion places where my HTC Hub gets full 5G reception).  The only other thing I might do (given my Samsung has dual physical SIM trays - might swap the SIM cards around between SIM 1 and SIM 2 - failing that was going to drop by the "Tech" bar at Telstra or Samsung.

Rash

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G doesn't have dual SIM. It only has a single SIM. The other slot is for micro SD. It is the only Note 10 variant that doesn't have dual SIM.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now