JER
Level 4: Private Eye

How much difference does the "blue tick" make?

Answered

I've recently started using a Samsung Galaxy SII, but I'm not happy with its strength of coverage. I've noticed that the Motorola Atrix has the "blue tick". I'd be happy to change, but I'd really like to know how much difference the blue tick makes to coverage quality both in the Melbourne area and rurally. The Samsung is a superior phone but coverage is very important to me, so I'd be happy to downgrade the quality of device for better coverage, but only if I was confident that the coverage quality would dramatically improve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
thespurofthings
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: How much difference does the "blue tick" make?

Telstra offers three classes of coverage, A B and C.

C Class coverage is Blue Tick coverage. These phones are designed in such a way that they will outperform other phones in coverage. That is ,they will hold onto a signal further than B or A class phones

Most smartphones due to the way they are manufactures are B class, because of their thinness and materials (such as glass and plastic)

The Atrix and Defy are Blue Tick because the plastic chassis that houses the antenna stops your hand from attenuating the signal.

The iPhone 4S is Blue Tick because the dual antenna design intelligently switches antennas if one gets attenuated.

Blue Tick phones do not assist with high traffic areas. They only assist users in low coverage areas. So a phone in the Melbourne CBD would behave much like any other Telstra phone. Whereas a Blue Tick phone out in rural areas would have better signal coverage than a B or A class phone.

Telstra empirically tests all it's phones because we reach more of the population and many rural people rely on mobile phones with each passing year.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Support Team
Support Team

Heya JER,

The "Blue Tick" symbol indicates that the handset has been tested and proven to work better in rural areas.

Given distance is of main concern in rural areas, such mobiles are recommended if you wish to maximise your coverage experience outside metropolitan and regional areas.

There are no guarantees, however, that the Motorola Atrix will perform any better within the metropolitan area, ie. Melbourne.

I guess in this instance JER, if you do spend quite a bit of your time in rural areas, then of course, it is something that we would most definitely recommend. Smiley Wink

You can also find out more ways to maximise your coverage here.

Hope it helps! Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

thespurofthings
Accepted Solution

C Class coverage is Blue Tick coverage. These phones are designed in such a way that they will outperform other phones in coverage. That is ,they will hold onto a signal further than B or A class phones

Most smartphones due to the way they are manufactures are B class, because of their thinness and materials (such as glass and plastic)

The Atrix and Defy are Blue Tick because the plastic chassis that houses the antenna stops your hand from attenuating the signal.

The iPhone 4S is Blue Tick because the dual antenna design intelligently switches antennas if one gets attenuated.

Blue Tick phones do not assist with high traffic areas. They only assist users in low coverage areas. So a phone in the Melbourne CBD would behave much like any other Telstra phone. Whereas a Blue Tick phone out in rural areas would have better signal coverage than a B or A class phone.

Telstra empirically tests all it's phones because we reach more of the population and many rural people rely on mobile phones with each passing year.
meghamilton
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

I am looking to buy the Motorola Atrix phone because it has greater rural coverage. Do you actually have to get the phone from telstra to get the rural coverage or is the coverage just built into every Atrix phone? Plus - the Atrix is about $350 online compared to $680 in a Telstra store. I am with Telstra as well

Telstra in Newcastle told me I can buy any Motorola Atrix from ANYWHERE and it will have the coverage. However Telstra in Forster told me I must buy the phone from him because Telstra do something special to the phone. It just sounded like he wanted my money.

I would rather not spend $680 as I am a student so it would be great if someone could clarify this for me.

Thank you!!

lazaraau

Hi I recently signed a 24 month contract with a htc velocity 4g telstra locked phone (2 months ago) and I am very unhappy with the reception. I am in wantirna, melbourne (metro). The reception is frequently greyed out and the mobile internet is very intermittent. I cant make calls in my house without a dropout after 2 minutes. In the city, the reception is lightening fast, 4g and calls never drop out, but not in outer east melbourne (which is not considered regional).I spoke to a friend who works for telstra and said some phones have better reception, those with a blue tick. I have found whatever phone company I am with the reception and mobile interent is the same (vodafone, optus, AND telstra). It was much better 2 years ago. How much better service in my area will I get with a blue tick phone compared to a non blue tick phone? Is it worth upgrading my plan? Thanks

liz_day

Blue Tick covers a very wide range, we are currently trying to find the best rural phone for our area just outside next G, Telstra tell me there is an enormous difference within blue tick and many will not get any sort of coverage in a next G area.....don't know what test a blue tick phone has to pass but as long as it works anywhere seems to get it. So, so hard to get any advice re specifications of blue tick..impossible to get advice from T.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Whilst I cannot say it will be 100% better or work in your specific area, the Telstra Explorer phone has an extendable antenna which may increase coverage over other Blue Tick Phones.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

mellee

My attrix works well down in southern tasmania. The only bad thing about it is its battery life.
tesseract

I was living in New York but a couple of years ago I decided to return to Australia.  I knew that I was going to live in a rural area where Telstra was the only available network so I looked for "blue tick" cell phones.  Since I was going to be in New York for quite a bit longer, I needed an unlocked retail phone.  I purchased an Atrix from an Australian supplier, not from Telstra.  I am now happily using it in Far North Queensland in a very marginal area.  I have never regretted the purchase.

The way I understand it, rural reception is a function of the network and the phone.  Telstra has the best coverage so if you live in a marginal area then you need to be with Telstra or with one of its third party resellers such as Aldi or Kogan. Choosing a "blue tick" handset is one way to ensure that the phone is up to the task.  There are other phones with equally good reception but finding one which works but which does not have Telstra's rating could be a very expensive exercise.  I was not prepared to do that so when I looked at Telstra's list of "blue tick" phones and saw the Atrix mentioned I decided to purchase that.  I had used an earlier model RAZR-3 in the USA and I was happy enough with the quality of the Motorola products.

sampaakki

@thespurofthings wrote:

Thank you for this explanation.  Would the Telstra USB 4G (AirCard 320U) be potentially classed as a "C Class" capable device if they were assessed?

ericr

I find this response nothing short of amazing as I am having extremely poor mobile coverage in an inner Melbourne suburb. Telstra advised me today that I should go to the expense of paying out my current plan which I am half way through and then get a new blue tick phone.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi ericr, you can check for expected coverage in your area via our network maps at http://goo.gl/xuzuH - if you're experiencing connection problems in an area which should have good signal coverage you can report it via http://goo.gl/qEqz7 for investigation.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

MikeRAus

@tesseract wrote:

- - Telstra has the best coverage so if you live in a marginal area then you need to be with Telstra or with one of its third party resellers such as Aldi or Kogan. --

That won't work in rural areas - resellers only have access to Telstra's GSM network (NOT NextG) so you will not get the full coverage in rural areas.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey MikeRAus,

That is pretty close, but actually Aldi get access to some of our Next G network, just not the whole thing. They have more information about that on their coverage page.

-Dylan

MikeRAus

I really need a BlueTick phone because I work a lot in bush areas (and because I have lousy Telstra signal even though I live 1 km from Hornsby station).

But I really need a Note 3 - the LTE version is not Bluetick rated, so I'm wondering if the non-LTE Note 3 (not sold by Telstra) would work better signal in remote areas on NextG - because the aerial dosen't need to be made to work on the extra LTE/4G frequencies, I'm assuming it can be made to work better on 850. There's only so much antenna they fit in the same case !

Has anyone compared either version of the Note 3 with a BlueTick phone ?

MikeRAus

@thedylan wrote:

- - Aldi get access to some of our Next G network, just not the whole thing. - - - 

Yes, within 300km of the coast, the ALDI coverage is similar . . . but once I go past Hay, Dubbo or Moree ALDI coverage vanishes.

AuntieScrooge

He really is trying to get your money by muted force.. Avoid that guy like the plague and go to a reputable dealer. I find **bleep** Smith and Telstra shop where I live are good to deal with. But as a student you need to shop to your best interests not theirs.
Do a bit of online research of which phone you like and can afford then check out online reviews and forums.. best way to buy anything is by going on others experiences.
AuntieScrooge

Maybe I should have said Richard Smith.. (sheesh)!!
AuntieScrooge

Am a bit confused.. telstra saying blue tick for lumia 640 but spec says not.. which is it ( there was one other said same thing but looked at so many cant remember which one now)
Support Team
Support Team

Hi AuntieScrooge, 

This is a list of our mobiles with Blue Tick:

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan#!/filter/brand//os//features//plan/s/sort...

The Lumia 640 is a Blue Tick handset but this is currently out of stock sorry. 

AuntieScrooge

Thanks.. no good to me I need a relatively cheap prepaid as an emergency ph in case my over expensive made in China mobile decides to chuck a wobbly. As we go up country and to the backblocks of aus every now and then I like to have a second ph that is bluetick along for the ride. So all I really need is a cheap good blue tick ph that takes a micro sim. (I ruined my last backup ph when the little sim adapter thing broke off inside the ph when I was trying to remove the card) guy at telstra said it would be cheaper to replace ph than to fix it

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now