Flyer17
Level 1: Cadet

Huawei Honor 6 4G LTE doesn't ring

I recently bought an Honor 6 dual sim and have inserted 2 new telstra micro sims. However, when sim 1 is on 4G LTE, inbound calls go straight to messagebank without ringing. When sim 1 roams/moves to 'G' (which I believe is a reference to EDGE), inbound calls ring and there are no issues.

In settings, the preferred network mode is set at '4G/3G/2G auto'. When I change the preferred network mode to become '3G/2G auto', sim 1 disconnects temporarily and then reverts to 'G'.

On the top left of the phone, I once received a notification about problems with sim 1 and 4G and to contact my service provider. Telstra is listed as the network for both sim 1 and sim 2, even when sim 1 is on 4G LTE.

Any ideas on how to rectify would be very welcome.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Huawei Honor 6 4G LTE doesn't ring

OK. From what I can tell on the Huawei website, there are a couple of problems with you using this phone on Telstra's network.

2G: it should work OK

3G: it only operates on the 900 & 2100MHz Bands (that's assuming you bought the WCDMA version, otherwise it won't work on any network in Australia)

4G: It is capable of operating on the 1800MHz bandwidth as used in Australia, but the firmware is locked so it won't work.  You need to follow the instructions that should have been sent with the phone in order to unlock it.  This will not fix the problem of it not ringing as the Voice requires either a 2G or 3G connection and if you aren't in a 2G area, you won't have voice, just data.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Flyer17

Thanks Jupiter, appreciate the fast response.

I was sure I'd done all the right research prior to purchasing, including getting the Australian recommended version for Telstra.

No firmware unlocking instructions came with it, although outbound calls and data seemed to work when it was on 4G LTE?

Data will work on 4G (Voice isn't carried on 4G), you may have been in a 2G or 2100MHz supplemented 3G area and calls will work in that case.

I couldn't see any phones on the Huawei site that had UMTS 850MHz capability, which is what you need for the phone to work fully with the NextG network..

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Flyer17

Thanks - you've been very helpful.

If I can make/receive 2G calls and switch on 4G for data when needed, that's probably 99% of all I require. I assume 2G as a fallback is available across Melbourne?

I see that 2G-900 is being phased out in 2016, but to be replaced with 4G (or 3G?) - will I be able to make/receive calls on this phone after that?

Sambadza

Hi Flier17,

I was wondering if you ahd managed to resolve this issue you ahd with telstra? i have the same phone L-02 dual sim, its a beaut. However with Telstra the calls fail to go through 50% of the time, the rest of the time no worries.

I have bought an OPTUS sim and it has not missed a call in my trial. So I may migrate my number to OPTUS who appear to be compatible. 

I would however be grateful to understand if you fixed your issue?

Flyer17

Hi there - I ended up returning the phone to the online store. They had advertised specs that it was Telstra NextG compatible but obviously not. Good luck!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sambadza,

As Jupiter mentioned in the above post. It appears your handset doesn't support our 3G 850 network. Also as per what Jupiter said you won't be able to make calls on the 4G network so it will only work when you're connected to 2G or 3G 2100 which are our older networks and aren't available as much as they used to be.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now