CrowdSupport®
Sale
Level 1: Cadet

I have a prepaid plan and am about to travel to Chile and Argentina

Answered

I don't understand how the international roaming works with prepaid plans. Can someone explain what I need to do? (probably best to use words of one syllable - I'm an ageing technology dork))

I will be visiting Chile and Argentina on a cruise for three weeks over Christmas. The only time I will need a phone (hopefully) is to contact tour operators etc and for them to contact me - so minimal if any calls or SMSs. (I'll have unlimited WIFI on the ship so data is not really an issue).

I have a prepaid plan valid until June 2020 with $90 credit. -

Do I need to change any settings on my phone?

- I now have the the Telstra APP on my phone - do I need to add money to anything or prebuy any vouchers?

- Anything else??

many many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: I have a prepaid plan and am about to travel to Chile and Argentina

No, you shouldn't need to change any settings on your phone. Being on a Longlife Prepaid Plan. Your Credit will be used for charges. If you need to top up, you can do so via your normal method.

When overseas, if you need to contact Telstra, you can call +61 439 125 109, which is a free call from Telstra mobiles.

The rates for Argentina, Chile and Cruise Ships (should you need it) are below.

argentina.JPGchile.JPGcruise.JPG

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

Yes. You may need to turn it on briefly for it to register on the network, but then you can turn it off again. 

Also,  change the location services settings to either off or GPS only.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

No, you shouldn't need to change any settings on your phone. Being on a Longlife Prepaid Plan. Your Credit will be used for charges. If you need to top up, you can do so via your normal method.

When overseas, if you need to contact Telstra, you can call +61 439 125 109, which is a free call from Telstra mobiles.

The rates for Argentina, Chile and Cruise Ships (should you need it) are below.

argentina.JPGchile.JPGcruise.JPG

Sale

Jupiter - that is fantastic, thank you so much!  One little last question - am I better to turn data roaming off so I don't accidentally use any data, and can I still use the phone if its off?

thank you again 

Accepted Solution

Yes. You may need to turn it on briefly for it to register on the network, but then you can turn it off again. 

Also,  change the location services settings to either off or GPS only.

Highlighted
coolkiu00

I am really thankful for your post, it gives me more knowledge. very nice!

maps driving directions

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more