Highlighted
StevenRadar
Level 1: Cadet

Increase in Mobile Data usage for 2000 people event

Hi 

We have a Race meeting in Coonawarra where 2000 people attend and we had issues with being able to use our mobiles and wireless devises. 

Is there a way to boost the data for the closest tower that day or can Telstra provived a mobile booster?

thanks in advance.

Steven 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Increase in Mobile Data usage for 2000 people event

Hi StevenRadar,

I appreciate your situation and you do want to be able make use of your devices however mobile cells are not available for hire.

Regrettably, we are limited in the assistance we can provide here, sorry.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

StevenRadar

Hi Jesse

So Telstra cant boost the local towers for that day?

Steven 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

We don't hold back capacity so its not as simple as boosting it for the day. If the capacity at the tower is reached there are only two ways that additional capacity can be made available.

The first is a mobile cell, also called a SatCOW (Satellite Cell On Wheels). This device is used at large events (Royal Shows, Big Day Out, Grand Finals, etc) and during emergency situations like the bushfires in NSW.

The second is to install additional backhaul to the cell tower. This takes time, planning and is done regularly to address increasing demand as we see a doubling of internet traffic every 12 months. We would not do this for a single event.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Rafn

As I have a similar query, I ran a search on sourcing a CoW. While the answers given are factual, they don't actually answer the question.

I am involved in an annual event that attracts 40,000 to 50,000 people over a single weekend in an area that is not able to cope with this number of users. It has been stated by DanK that the SatCoWs are "used at large events (Royal Shows, Big Day Out, Grand Finals, etc)", but what was not mentioned was how to go about requesting one. The area is not likely suitable for a permanent upgrade, so a mobile solution like a SatCoW is the best way of ensuring connectivity over the event's duration.

Can someone supply details on how to request a CoW for a large event that is held one weekend a year?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Rafn,

You can certainly request one Rafn by contacting our Mobile Radio Operations Team on 1300 731 741 during business hours.

Below is table of approximate costs of deploying these equipment:

SOLUTION

APPROXIMATE COST (NOTE 1)

APPROXIMATE TIME TO IMPLEMENT. (NOTE 1)

Parameter changes

2 hours

Additional hardware at existing site (internal only)

$1000 to $5,000

1 to 2 days

Add additional antennas and hardware

$20,000 to $30,000

3 to 4 days

Deploy a repeater

$2,000 to $30,000

1 to 4 days

Deploy a portable base station (COW)

$10,000 to $30,000

1 to 3 days

Deploy satellited connected portable base station

$10,000 to $30,000

Approx. 2 hours after delivery to site

Approximate Costs and Time to Deploy

NOTE 1:  These are approximate only, and are subject to change depending on the location and nature of the emergency. Costs and times to deploy may be double these for complex deployments and in remote areas. Timeframes given start from when approval has been given to proceed with the job.

I hope this helps. Thanks Rafn.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Rafn

Hi Joe.

Thanks for the information. That's exactly what I am after, and I will be able to bring this to the monthly meeting tomorrow night. Awesome work! :-)

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now