CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Normie2
Level 1: Cadet

International Day Pass querstion

Answered

I am going overseas shortly and have been looking into the International Day Pass. 

It seems impossible to control the days I get charged, since -

"A Day Pass is activated any time you use your service overseas in an Eligible Country. This includes apps like news sites or email that may update in the background (without you actively using them), or anytime your phone connects to the network."

Am I missing something? 

Assuming that I activate the IDP once I arrive at my destination, is it subsequently de-activated if I turn off International Roaming using the Telstra 24x7 app and turn off Data Roaming on the iphone? If not, how can I de-activate it? Maybe on the Telstra 24x7 app?

I want to use wifi in the main, but have the ability to turn on the IDP and call Australia, then turn it off again. 

I chatted online with Telstra and was told my only option was to put the iphone into airplane mode!! This makes it useless for wifi.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: International Day Pass querstion

You can put your iPhone into airplane mode and then turn wifi back on.

Unfortunately, with the iPhone you also need to check the data settings for each app as putting the phone into airplane mode doesn't fully kill the data usage.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

You can put your iPhone into airplane mode and then turn wifi back on.

Unfortunately, with the iPhone you also need to check the data settings for each app as putting the phone into airplane mode doesn't fully kill the data usage.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Normie2

Thanks Jupiter.

When in airplane mode, would it suffice to turn mobile data off instead of looking at data settings of all apps?

Airplane mode does turn mobile data "off", but Apple made it so that apps can sort of ignore that. You need to turn off their background data usage as well.
Normie2

Thanks Jupiter.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now