Highlighted
biggreg
Level 2: Rookie

International Travel Pass Review

I used the new international travel pass on 2 separate 7 day trips to NZ during the holiday period. 

They worked really well for me on both trips:

1. Easy to sign up & activiate. I did it both times over the phone while waiting for my luggage at the airports in NZ. The calls were taken by a call centre in the Philipines. Quick & Easy.

2. I ve just received my bill for that period and everything is correct & easy to understand,

3. I did not go over the rather limited data allowance, but excess data charges are not too bad at $30/gb.

Overall a great experience.

Only niggle is the rather low data allowance. Doubling it would make it a almost perfect for me.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
Level 23: Superhero

Re: International Travel Pass Review

They are great for short term travel. Longer terms anywhere overseas, better if you can get a local sim.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Level 20: Director

INTERNATIONAL ROAMING PACKS OR A FOREIGN COUNTRY SIM?

I have a different view to Jeff on this on, and it is a regularly debated topic:

A very commonly asked question, and the answer depends very much on your intended location, and your own personal circumstances and relationships.

International Travel Pass gives you unlimited voice calls and SMS to and from standard numbers. You’ll also receive a data allowance, to use in all the eligible countries of your selected zone for the period of the pass.

Data packs are a more cost effective way to check emails and access your social media and browse the internet as you travel but do not include voice calls.

A Foreign SIM may look attractive value, but consider:

• Unless you notify all your contacts of your Foreign Number you can no longer be contacted via voice or TXT (and your contacts will pay full International Call rates to contact you)
  • You will need to re-establish all your email accounts and possibly transfer contacts, calendars and any other information stored on your SIM (Check your phones user guide)
  • If you have children, aging parents, or emotionally dependent friends and family, then a foreign SIM may not suit your travel needs.
  • If your itinerary takes you into a number of countries, then you may only use a small portion of the value on multiple Foreign SIMS at around 30 Euro s each
  • The different size of SIMS and the difficulty in changing should be considered with some phone types
  • Instructions, details and terms and Conditions may be in a foreign language, making it difficult to understand what you are buying
  • Support for the Foreign SIM may be limited
  • Quality of Voice and Data circuits used on low cost SIMS may be a compromise
  • You will not be able to used a SIM Locked phone

Telstra’s range of Travel Passes and International Data Roaming Packs provide Data at10 to 20 cents per MB (or less), and you avoid the stress of finding a WiFi hot spot. The International Travel Pass 30 day plan has 1.5 GB data allowance, and excess data is only 3 cents per MB, so for Facebook, Skype, messaging and uploading photos the data allowance is generous. See full cost details at:

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates/plus-packs

With any Roaming Packs, you retain you normal mobile number so you can be contacted in emergency, and while you need to monitor your data use carefully, Telstra send you a TXT when you have used 50% and 85% of your allowance, and all Smart Phones running current software have excellent data monitoring tools. See more discussion on this topic at:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/International-Roaming/Using-Phone-Overseas/m-p/399647#M796

It is important to note that MMS (Text messages with a photo or Video) are charged at 50 cents and 75 cents respective, so become familiar with Apple’s iMessage, or Facebook Messenger, where the message data is debited against your data allowance costing around 2 cents per photo message sent.

An International Travel Pass becomes active the moment you take it up.

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
pduffyd

I agree with Palpatine. Having been over seas for 4 months in 2014 using the overseas data packs was all I needed in Canada and Norway. This was a stress free way to travel
JGT1
Level 1: Cadet

What is not clear to me is while I am on roaming or travel pass, while it doesnt cost me to recieve a text from someone in the country I am in (NZ) or the country I come from (Aust) what does it cost the person texting me? What do I tell them?

Support Team
Support Team

It will depend on their service provider and what they charge for international SMS.

Edit: Palpatine is correct. If you are using an Australian number and international roaming, they should only be charged the standard SMS rate.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Anyone calling or texting you will pay the same as if you were in Au, that's just a legal principle as the do not necessarily know where you are.

Posted from Changi Airport
Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
md888

if you have an international travel pass for zone 2

Can you call from UAE to Germany?

or do you have to be in the country you are calling to?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi md888

When you're in a country that's eligible for the Travel Pass, so the UAE for example, you can make calls to any International Number (fixed or mobile) at no extra cost. So you can certainly call Germany without any issues, whilst in the UAE on a Zone 2 Travel Pass. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

davidinnoosa

thanks to you all for the info - like so many of us we have been caned with charges for overseas usage and i am taking the travelpass for both our phones for an upcoming trip. Can anyone clarify if MMS are in the charge or are they still extra?  I know my wife was caught out last trip not realising sending photos to the kids by text was so expensive.  And I assume standard calls means anything but 1300 or premium services??

thanks david

Level 23: Superhero

Have a good trip David.

If you pop along to the following link, you'll find the official Critical Informnation summary which lays out full details of what's what with the travel pass.: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/mobile/telstra-internatio...

Pay particular attention to the headning "What's Included".

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
lousaj

Was this on a pre paid mobile or a plan?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi lousaj

This is a product available for post-paid consumer and small business customers :-) 

jilly2

I thought also but when I check #108 it says I have over $100 in payg voice does this mean I will be charged?
jilly2

Also in zone 1 it includes the countries your in but not Australia so can I call Australia mobiles??
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi jilly2

I don't know what you mean sorry - can you explain what's happening in a bit more details. 
And the Zone 1 unlimited calls - they're to any country in the world - both home phone and mobiles, not just the countries of the zone you're in. 

So you can call Australian Mobiles :-) 

vchampion64
Level 4: Private Eye

Using Telstra roaming data is no onger an option for most of us, after today's price rise.

Travel to most places in the (e.g. Europe, US, UK) and a 30-day Travelpass is now an extraordinary $450 !!

What a rippoff.

By by Telstra.  

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi VChampion64 

The changes expand the number of countries covered and increases data in Passes. More here: http://tel.st/roaming2

Regards 

eAJ2015
Level 8: Inspector

@Lindy wrote:

...The changes expand the number of countries...

and expand the gap in your wallet...

StewRt

I'm buying a travel pass to use in the uk.. What's the best way to get more data.. I get 12gb on my plan but I can't use that there.. Can I buy a data pack for the uk

Thanks

I would need more info to be of specific help, but visit this site (and stuff in this area) for the specifics on Telstra's offerings:

https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/mobiles-on-a-plan#arrive--pass

In brief a 30 day Telstra Travel Pass for the UK will include 2.2 Gb of Data Unlimited normal calls and cost $450. 

• Excess data - Data used in excess of your data allowance before Travel Pass expires will be charged at 3c per MB, This is $30 per Gb, which is not too bad for roaming and simple to manage, ie do nothing!

But what I would need to know to give a better answer is:

1. Are you on pre-paid or a post paid plan? (pre-paid can be really expensive, and the Travel Pass is only available on Post Paid)
  2. Do you need voice and data?
  3. do you have a mobile broadband device (as opposed to a Mobile Phone), ie do you use a wireless broadband Dongle or a WiFi Router (different cost and functionality to Phone plans - confusing I know!)
  4. is it important that you are contactable by phone when away?
  5. Are you on a restricted budget?

For the UK, most carriers have offers similar to the TelstraTravel Pass, but one answer to your question is YES, you can get any number of Data Sims in the UK, just remember the general Maxim "You get what you pay for"!!

My normal mode is to take my mobile with a Travel Pack, but take another cheap smartphone or dongle which can take a foreign SIM and use that as a personal hotspot for data. (But then again, I have a need for good voice functionality and I am not overly restrained by budget)

One final point is to familiarise yourself with the data monitoring capability of your phone and track your usage. The carriers will give you updates at 50%, 85% and 100%, and these figures aligh fairly well with the figure your phone measures (The phone seems to be 2% to 5% more than the carrier due to some data that is not metered, ie checking your usage via Telstra 24/7 app)

StewRt

Thanks for that.. Just with the 14 day travel pass I get just over 1gb of data.. Just wondered what my best option was to get more data while I'm in the uk. The unlimited calls and texts is great just need more data

Keeping in mind that your one Gb is costing $210 (including the Voice), the 3 cents per Mb once you use the first Gb seems a good option? (and it is the only additional data option on a Travel Pass) That equates to $30 for an each extra Gb. Even a good UK SIM is likely to be 20-30 pounds for a similar amount? And as I said before, the Excess Data is an easy option, you do not have to do anything, but do monitor it. Have a great trip!

Just more discussion, we all behave a bit differently when travelling, 2 or 3 Gb for a fortnight is a lot when travelling. You are unlikely to spend your time downloading and watching movies, and if you do, you are veging out in a hotel that probably as free wifi? If you are into the 5-20 Gb user range, take a Dongle or WiFi modem (or spare phone) and buy a local SIM with the required data pack. My experience in the UK was with the carrier whose logo looks like a red teardrop. Good coverage, good value SIMs, but shop around when you get there, go into the shops and talk to them, they do speak English, which is a great advantage!

StewRt

Thanks for that.. If I'm in the uk using my travel pass does it cost others a lot to call text me from their uk or Australian phones?

Hi StewRt, Should be no problems or bill surprises! Assuming that you actually have the 14 day $210 "Travel Pass",  your callers, either from Au or any other location, will pay the same price as if you were home. As an aside, if you did not have the Travel Pass, callers would still pay the same amount as if you were home, but you pick up the Au to Uk charge, It is this charge that is included in the Travel Pass. (One warning - if you have local UK friends calling you, they will be charged at the same rate as if you were still in Au! Suggest to them that they send you a TxT and you call them back.)

Re "texts", that has become a very complex issue as "Texts" come and go via different mediums. Telstra's old technology SMS are included in your Travel Pass, but old technology SMS messages that include a Picture are 50c and if include a video 75c for you to send. People sending to you will be the price that they would expect according to their plan, and assume that you are home. You might be picking up a surcharge of 50c or 75c per message received if friends are sending you photos or videos via old SMS text systems.(However this last bit about you picking up a surcharge for pictures or videos is unclear, but assume the worst case)

However, people are increasingly using things like Facebook Messenger, and iMessage (between Apple devices), which could seemlessly appear to be simply SMSs depending on your phone settings, in which case they decrement your (or their) data allowance, which for simple text is a small number of Kbs, a photo around 500Kb, and a video message (my guess) 10 meg per minute.

Sorry that this is such a long answer to a simple question, but in summary there are no issues with voice calls, but the confusing definition on what is a "text" makes that a bit more difficult to be absoultely certain, but your exposure is minimal unless you have very unusual messaging habits? Hope this helps.

I have overlooked a change that has been made to Telstra's Text messages when you activate your mobile overseas.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.11.37 pm.jpg

The difference is shown between 2 overseas trips, June 15 and April 16. On the earlier trip, the text message from Telstra stated (for all countries, eligible and otherwise) that "If you had a Travel Pass thgese charges will not apply" and many travellers relied on this message for their phone use. Subsequently Telstra has changed the Text message to read "If you have our Travel Pass activated in an eligible country the above call and SMS charges do not apply..."

So the onus is now back on the customer to know if the country is eligible or not (which can be difficult when travelling, and the status of eligibility changes regularly)

I make this post as earlier in this thread I advise travellers to take a screenshot of these texts as they may come in handy in the event of a billing dispute - this statement is no longer relevant as Telstra has changed the wording to protect itself from claims for refunds due to poor advice in the earlier text messages.

The good news is that there are now very few countries which are not eligible - please study this link before you travel overseas:

https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/availability-pricing/post-paid

marclar

I was very frustrated during a recent trip to Spain and annoyed to find on my return that I had run up a bill of $180. On arrival I received a message from Telstra saying I was eligible for a Travel Day Pass which would cost $10 per day. Since I had access to excellent wifi, I felt this was an expensive option for the odd time I wanted to use it. In the past I used their 30-day Travel Pack which I preferred, so I searched for it. I needed clarity but could find no further information online so I called the number given for 24x7 information and got a recording which gave the same information. It was very frustrating.  No-one mentioned the 30-day Pass had been discontinued. I have found that out since I returned to find a bill of $180 -- i.e. $10 per day throughout my trip ($170 plus $10 for a top up). The Telstra message I received said if I went over my allowance, they would charge me $10 for 500 MG which would last one month. I thought this would cover my needs during my time away - obviously I misunderstood.  I heard no more from them. I checked my Date Usage on my Telstra App, and only 0 usage adn costs showed there throughout my entire period of travel. Something is missing in this whole scenario. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Marclar, 

Sorry to hear of the concersns with the International Day Pass. 

All the details can be found on the website here: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/mobile/international-day-...

At the time if there was any type of call, SMS/MMS or data usage, then the $10 would be applied with the Day Pass included usage for that day. 

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now