Highlighted
jenbes
Level 5: Eagle Eye

International calls to My mobile

Answered
I'm going to NZ. I will turn off international roaming and updates. I want to know whether someone who calls or texts me from a NZ number to my Australian mobile no while I'm in NZ week have to pay international rates.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: International calls to My mobile

Hi jenbes, 

Yes, regardless of where your Australian mobile service is located, if anyone in NZ calls it, they will be charged an international call rate, as the call will initially reach the network in Australia, and then if you happen to have International Roaming on, it will reach you in that country. This is why you would be charged to answer the call, and cover the part of the call cost to go from Australia to NZ. Now if you happen to have International Roaming off, then no one will be able to contact you, as it will go straight to your MessageBank. 

If you want someone in NZ to only be charged national rates, you will need to get a local SIM and use that local mobile service. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
jenbes
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Oops senile phone. Should read will.
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi jenbes, 

Yes, regardless of where your Australian mobile service is located, if anyone in NZ calls it, they will be charged an international call rate, as the call will initially reach the network in Australia, and then if you happen to have International Roaming on, it will reach you in that country. This is why you would be charged to answer the call, and cover the part of the call cost to go from Australia to NZ. Now if you happen to have International Roaming off, then no one will be able to contact you, as it will go straight to your MessageBank. 

If you want someone in NZ to only be charged national rates, you will need to get a local SIM and use that local mobile service. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more