CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Melbourne, Docklands Poorest coverage and premium price

I had been reporting Telstra poor coverage for the last 5 years or so and they seem to remain ignorant. I signed up with Vodafone three years ago but had a prepaid service(Telstra). The network at the end of Collins st/Bourke st is like one bar and internet coverage is like 2010. Vodafone and Optus offer full bar and internet is perfect in CBD and Docklands areas. Telstra is definitely the most reliable network when it comes to offering crap service for premium prices. I have tried on Samsung S8, S9, Lg v30 , iphone 8, X, Xs and iphone 11.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Melbourne, Docklands Poorest coverage and premium price

I don't have any problems with coverage down the Docklands end of Collins or Bourke St, even between the buildings walking from ANZ towards the now condemned pier and across to Marvel Stadium.

Using a Samsung Note 10+5G.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

I am visiting Melbourne for 3 weeks and had to buy a mobile modem and chose Telstra as they  usually have the best coverage in the countryside. BUT I am currently in Docklands opposite the ANZ buildings an cannot get more than 2 bars out of 4.... Very hard to run a business with such poor coverage. I had expected 4 bars in the city, not 2 and often 1....

Any suggestions. Have done all the troubleshooting, switched on and off, moved around the apartment and NO difference on mobile or modem..

Thanks

Highlighted

Inside buildings the coverage is typically going to be much less. 

But even with 2 bars, you should get adequate speeds (unless you are trying to stream video).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

I have taken both my mobile and modem out on to the balcony and no difference. I notice that early in the morning I have two bars and then it goes back down to one bar.

I am hosting webinars and have a VOIP phone which is why I went down this route - did lots of homework but had seriously expected better reception.

I am not boxed in by buildings in any way, so just disappointed.

Thanks for responding.

Highlighted

There are 2-3 sets of transmitters that you should be able to receive a signal from in that location (although positioning on the buildings has a large effect). If you are North of the ANZ buildings, then a South facing balcony should have better reception than any other direction.

1800MHz (839 & 833 Collins St, 821 Bourke St) is the most common band in use, with some 2600MHz (at 839 Collins St). Unfortunately there is no 700MHz in use in that part of Docklands.

But yes, hosting webinars may be an issue. VOIP phone should work OK as they use bugger all data.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more