Ironmaid
Level 4: Private Eye

Mobile Broadband

I have four devices using Mobile Broadband, for the past two weeks in Bundanoon NSW the speed has been crippled to between 4-8 mbps download and less than 1 mbps upload, for 12 month prior I received 20-40 download and 10-20 upload, all using 4G.

I contacted Telstra Support on monday and after a lot of checking was told there was a "backroom" problem that on the "back of house" could fix and they would be in touch, when I asked for a reference I was given the lat/log of the local tower, very strange.

By Wednesday nothing had happened, I again contacted support and there was no record of my Monday call, not a surprise considering the dodgy reference number. I again explained the slow speed was evident on all four devices, a check revealed no outage and a further promise was made re the "back of house" experts to investigate, this time I was given what appeared to be a valid reference number.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar slowing of speeds or has Telstra throttled back the network or changed the plan speeds?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Mobile Broadband

Hi  Ironmaid, Do you have the reference number at all?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ironmaid

For my Business Mobile Broadband the latest is 1832106118434,none were provided for the previous Business & Retail contact.

Ironmaid

I think I have been able to establish the reason for my recent (4 weeks) loss of 4G signal inside my premises, this had rendered two iPads and iPhones useless for data as they now only have a single 3G strength. Prior to the reduction of signal all mobile devices operated within the premises using 4G with one signal strength, speeds were acceptable.

For business I use a 4GX modem with an external Panorama Mimo Multiband aerial, this usually provided a consistent 25 mbps download and 10 mbps upload during the day, outside the peak times it often reached 35/20 all this on 4GX using 1 or 2 signal strength. My first sign of trouble four weeks ago was a vast reduction of signal speed, reducing to a constant 5 download and 1 or less upload, constant download pauses and failed connections.

I know the Bundanoon tower is subject to congestion during the usual AM & PM peak demands, an example is on 23-12-18 when the PM download speed was less than the upload, whereas the AM speed on 24-12-18 was much higher before the demand increased.

I can only obtain a 4G connection on either iPads or iPhones by standing at the side of the road, all phone calls are also made by the side of the road, there is no operation landline disconnected by NBN.

Date

Connection

Ping

Download

Upload

23-12-18 – 5.49pm

Modem 4GX

24-12-18 – 8.34am

Modem 4GX

24-12-18 – 8.41am

iPad 4G

24-12-18 – 8.33am

iPad 3G

Screen captures available

Following my latest contact with a Business Support Officer the 4GX modem speeds have been restored to an acceptable level thanks to the external aerial (drops back to 3G is using internal aerial), as you can see above, but the iPad and iPhone speeds remain locked on 3G with no data service. Calls to the Support Team failed to find any tower outage or device problem and I was ultimately told the service was within expected levels, yet the Business team advised there was what they thought a “back of house” issue causing all the problems.

The bottom line is, I have been told unofficially the “back of house” techo’s have adjusted the aerial signal strength beam, reducing the coverage at my location and obviously increasing signal in another area.

You probably ask why not using NBN, cable runs past premise, yet 1.5km to node, was connected and NBN disconnected as they could not provide a serviceable connection, Telstra Business could only offer 4GX connection, now this is just as unreliable, what hope is there?

Level 25: The Singularity

If the NBN service is unusable, then the only option on that front is Satellite.

As far as mobile comms inside your premises, you would probably be better with a cel fi repeater connected to an external (roof/gutter mounted) antenna.

The Panorama covers many bands and gives 5dBi gain, you can get antennas that give much higher gain (looking at an 8.3dBi at the moment) if you use one that just covers the 700MHz LTE band that is in use in your area.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ironmaid

Thanks for the reply, I tried to connect to both Satellite and Fixed Wireless NBN and came up against a "brick wall", mine and adjoining properties for some unknown reason were selected for FTTN, while all surrounding properties are Fixed Wireless, NBN is inflexible on this point and we have been told to wait until FTTN is available, been waiting almost three years now.

I think a Cell Repeater and higher gain aerial will be the only option if something cant be done to regain the original signal strength. A new Telstra tower has been approved for the town, this will be much closer than the current remote tower, but like the promises of NBN, when will it happen, this is the unanswered question, hard to imagine we are about to enter 2019 complete with 5G, yet there are so many people much worse than me dealing with vintage speed connections.

Thanks 

Ironmaid

Posted too soon, past four days service has returned to very slow level, no 4G on ipad/iPhone only 3G with one signal strength, no data connections. Business 4G with external aerial (on roof), now restricted to less than 1mbps upload and 15 upload, both stop and stall and the connections keep dropping out.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 

Ironmaid, I'm sorry for the late reply, can i ask if the signal has improved at all ?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Ironmaid

Thanks for replying.

Telstra Speedtest 15:20

Business Mobile Broadband with external aerial connecting 4GX, 2 signal strength

Ping 32

Down 10.7

Up 16.48

As it's holiday time, I suspect the local tower is under stress and this is affecting the download speed.

If I disconnect the external aerial the signal drops back to 3G, 1 signal strength - no data possible.

The situation with the 2 iPads and 2 iPhones has not changed, still only getting 3G, 1 signal strength, no data and phone calls problematic.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 

Ironmaid, It is possible that there may be congestion on the network around holiday times, A cell repeater like you have described may help the issue for all devices in the home.

Ironmaid

Post Christmas the Business Mobile Broadband speeds have slightly improved, but still not 4G on mobile devices, only 3G one signal strength.

What I find annoying is I am expected to outlay $600 to install a repeater to rectify the actions of Telstra, who removed 4G coverage after providing it for many years, you should update your coverage map!

For the past two nights I have watched Andy Penn on the evening TV news, rabbiting on about the introduction of 5G and the benefits it will bring, what about the existing service or lack of service to customers.

Its like the proposed additional tower in Bundanoon, only heaven knows it this will actually become a reality, its been proposed for 10 years.

Ironmaid

I also logged a support request via the "Black Spot" program. I was asked to carryout a number of "Speedtests"

Date

Time

Band

Strength

Ping

Download

Upload

12-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

12-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

12-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

12-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

12-Jan-19

Outside

4G

12-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

12-Jan-19

Outside

4G

15-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

15-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

15-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

15-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

15-Jan-19

Inside

4G

15-Jan-19

Outside

4G

15-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

15-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

15-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

15-Jan-19

Outside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

15-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

15-Jan-19

Outside

4G

15-Jan-19

Inside

3G (no 4G)

fail

fail

fail

15-Jan-19

Outside

4G

The support person advised the techo's has found the Bundanoon tower was experiencing "power spikes" and the tower had been "restarted" and returned to normal.

4G signals has improved, the speed is still not as fast as previously experienced, but I think congestion may be the cause of this.

Who knows what the future holds, no NBN with continuous lies of when NBN will be connected, last was January 2019, who knows I may even see 5G before I die of old age.

With NBN in your area, if you haven't already been advised that Fixed Wireless is available, then you are stuck with a Sky Muster satellite service. NBN Co don't have any plans to roll out more towers in your area.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ironmaid

I am in a strange situation, my premises and the adjoining three were allocated to FTTN although being almost 2km from the node, surrounding properties are Fixed Wireless. I connected to FTTN in July 2016, after experiencing very slow speeds and dropouts, many visits from NBN techs it was agreed the connection was too far from the node, during a change of plan with Telstra NBN pulled the plug on the connection in August 2018 leaving me with no service and despite being in the Fixed Wireless footprint refused to allow me to connect to Fixed Wireless, Telstra at this point refused to reconnect me to ADSL and ultimately suggested Mobile Broadband.

NBN has been inflexible and refused to allow any other connection than FTTN and said I would have to wait until they remediated the connection to mine and adjoining premises. NBN continuously lies about when the remediation will be completed, initial date March, then October 2018 and January 2019. I was told by NBN if I wanted to connect to Fixed Wireless or Satellite I would need to submit a Change of Technology application (fee $600) just for NBN to think about it with no guarantee they would agree, I would then have to pay for the installation, the interesting thing is the fibre optic cable is laid past the from of my premises.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more