Level 1: Cadet

Mobile coverage is non existent at my address

I recently started a new contract on the strenghth of the coverage maps showing full signal all over our area. When I got the new sim and put it in very little to no signal. They recon I have to spend heaps of money getting aerials and other gadgets no doubt at huge cost. I want to cancel my contract and go back to Optus who have full signal how can i do that fro free as TELSTRA'S COVERAGE MAPS ARE DECEPTIVE!! 

Next move the ombudsman I guess? Grahame

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Mobile coverage is non existent at my address

I'd recommend calling the disconnections team on 13 22 00 to discuss your options.

Do you have coverage outside your house?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Radio communications signal propogation is an inexact science.
I'm quite sure there is no intention.
Yes...a repeater is about $1000 and an external antenna installed is about $500.
If you ring Disconnections between 8.30 am and 9pm AEDT thr call should go to Adelaide
Thank you
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Support Team
Support Team

Hey 000001, welcome to CrowdSupport.

Really sorry to learn of the frustrating experience. As has been pointed out by @ProfessorPhone, signal propagation is not a perfect science. What is displayed on the coverage does not take factors beyond our control into account, like structural materials that attenuate signals, and to follow @343GuiltySpark's line of questioning, the signal may be available outside your premises - we can't guarantee coverage indoors as too many factors are outside of our control, no provider can with any reliability.

I'm sure the disconnections team on the details provided above will be able to come to some arrangement. Generally speaking the TIO requires you to have first lodged a formal complaint with your provider, and for that complaint to have been closed without reaching a mutually agreeable outcome, before they will take action. If you don't get anywhere with the disconnections team, you can raise a formal complaint using the information here: Lodging a complaint with Telstra.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 1: Cadet

Hi guys thanks for the responses. I have been on the chat lines for roughy 5 occasions trying to sort this out through all levels of their staff including technical twice. they have now investigated and come to the conclusion that I am correct in that we have virtually no reliable signal outside at our address a fact I pointed out to Telstra eight years when we first moved in to no avail. They have now offered to cancel my new mobile number free of charge. We will still use their broadband and home phone as its still the best deal and in the future planned upgrading with a tower for NBN in our little village if we ever get a mobile phone signal I will no doubt change back again. Thanks guys.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now