CrowdSupport®
SuperSaiyan
Level 1: Cadet

New Telstra customer - VoLTE & WiFi calling

Hi all,

I'm a brand new Telstra customer on prepaid for now (Prepaid Max) and just have a question around VoLTE and Wifi calling.

Using a Galaxy Note 10 Plus.

Formerly with Vodafone I would always have either the VoLTE and/or Wi-Fi calling symbol present in my notification panel where applicable.

Since moving to Telstra I no longer see either of these symbols. Wi-Fi calling is switched on in my phone settings, phone has been rebooted multiple times etc.

When I'm on a call I see the 'HD' symbol on the call screen (I'm not sure if that denotes VoLTE) but not the actual VoLTE symbol itself.

Wifi calling is an absolute must for us being in a new development area with no reception and I confirmed with other Telstra prepaid customers that both these services were active for them before making the switch.

Is anyone able to help me out with some more info on this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: New Telstra customer - VoLTE & WiFi calling

The HD symbol would normally indicate that you are on a VoLTE call. The HD symbol comes up on roaming services usually.

As far as the WiFi calling, that may not be working as your phone is probably not downloading the Telstra settings due to the way Samsung has implemented their firmware. This is also causing RCS (Telstra Messaging) to not work on the Galaxy Note 10 & 10 plus (it works on the Note 10 plus 5G).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SuperSaiyan

Thanks for the reply Jupiter.

In terms of the Telstra settings not being downloaded for Wi-Fi calling, do you think that is an issue on driven by the Samsung end or is it something to do with Telstra?

The reason I ask is, my phone worked perfectly with my previous provider (Vodafone) for Wi-Fi Calling but I'm only making that statement based on the fact that it would show the wi-fi calling icon in the notification bar whereas since switching to Telstra, it hasn't at all.

It seems to be an issue caused by the way that Samsung is implementing their Firmware settings, which do not allow the CSC to be changed by a simple insertion of a SIM.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SuperSaiyan

Just thought I'd report back my findings on this in case anyone else comes across this thread.

This turned out to be a Telstra issue not a Samsung firmware problem.

I spoke to Telstra online chat and they had to "activate" WiFi calling and VoLTE. Took just a couple of minutes and now both functions are operating like they were on my previous provider. Not sure why it needed to be activated manually for each SIM though but if you're looking for these features, perhaps get in touch with their online chat/support.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now