Highlighted
Kazmat
Level 1: Cadet

New gateway modem for cable not connecting

Answered

Disappointingly this is not working.  Seems to be typical for Telstra these days.  Not only have I been having issues with Telstra cable network not working very well over the last couple of months, but now Telstra you have added insult to injury! The new modem is not connecting to server, I rang for assistance only to be told it could take 24 hours for the modem to register! I am gob smacked - if I had known that I would not have disconnected the old modem.  Then your customer helper then advised that she would ring back in 2 hours to make sure it had all connected - huh a bit of a contradiction there - it's now only going to take 2 hours instead of 24 hrs - I'm confused.  

Anyway, your customer service officer didn't ring back in 2 hours, it's now nearly 3 hours. Another major disappointment.  Also I still do not have a connection.  Now per your usual service Telstra send me txt so I can recon tact the customer service officer, but guess what ...... It doesn't connect to Telstra server ! (At this stage I am using another internet service to attempt to connect with customer service officer).  I am seriously having doubts about Telstras ability to provide a service , after all these years I am finding in the last 12 months that it's a piece of **bleep**! 

Perhaps it's time I seriously consider dumping Telstra as you are not providing any service whatsoever, either by providing an Internet service or honest reliable customer service officers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: New gateway modem for cable not connecting

Yup plug the old one in and see if it's still connecting

Basically the way cable authenticates and connects to the internet is via the modems unique identity (MAC address). When you plug a new modem and go through the registration it associates that MAC with your Telstra account. While Telstra's computer system is processing that, the old modem is still linked to your account and will be until the changeover is complete

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5

If you went through the registration for the new modem and are waiting for it to activate you should be able to, in theory, be able to plug the old one in and continue to use it. When the old one stops connecting the new one should be good to go

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

Kazmat

Thank you for your response. Ummm not being very Techie myself, when you say in theory I should be able to still use the old modem - do you mean to disconnect the new one and reconnect to old one and keep using till it stops working, then reconnect to the new modem.  Sorry if this seems obvious but just want to be sure, as ther customer service person said to leave everything as is.... ?

Accepted Solution

Yup plug the old one in and see if it's still connecting

Basically the way cable authenticates and connects to the internet is via the modems unique identity (MAC address). When you plug a new modem and go through the registration it associates that MAC with your Telstra account. While Telstra's computer system is processing that, the old modem is still linked to your account and will be until the changeover is complete

Kazmat

Thank you for taking time out to respond🙂

No worries

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now