Highlighted
RoamingHelp
Level 2: Rookie

No service overseas

I am currently based overseas.  While abroad, I switched from contract to a prepaid plan on the same SIM.  Ever since the change took effect I have No Service.  Sadly, when I was performing the switch, I asked the customer service person - 'will I need a new SIM' the answer was of course, no.

Since making the switch I no longer seem to have access to Telstra chat so I cannot resolve my issue in this way.

I raised a formal complaint which is moving slower than snail's pace with a high degree of incompetence from the claims handler.

Here is what I have tried so far:

- restart the phone

- use the SIM in a different phone

- reset network settings

- manually try to set the mobile network operator in my phone

The phone is an iPhone 5.

In Settings --> General --> Network - the error is 'SIM not provisioned'.

Please advise whether this issue can be fixed or what steps I can take to resolve it.

Note: I am overseas and will not return to Australia anytime soon, so this issue must be resolvable remotely.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: No service overseas

I think your problem is going to require a Telstra staff member to assist.

The problem is that you have changed account type, so the SIM needs to reprovision itself. I do not believe that this can occur outside of Australia. I hope I'm wrong though.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Struggling
Level 1: Cadet

I am in the same boat, I have a tracking number & 4 days later nothing has happened despite their tracking account address & service / id number they have given me saying it should be done within 24 hours

Support Team
Support Team

Sorry for any inconvenience either of you are currently experiencing

For technical or roaming support while overseas, please contact us on +61 439 125 109 between 8am-9pm AEDT

You should still be able to use our online chat service too, you can access this via the following link: 

http://tel.st/hsc3

If you still have trouble, you're case manager will work with you until the matter is completely resolved. In some cases when order remediation is required, this can take some time. 

@RoamingHelp If you could let us know the complaint reference, I'll make note of it here in case you would like us to follow up on your behalf. It should look similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cheers Shannon

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

RoamingHelp

I have gone onto the chat function and been advised that this only requires activation of roaming on their end.  The guy didn't know what reprovisioning a SIM means.  Not for the first time with Telstra, I don't think their resolution path will actually resolve the problem, but let's see.

Support Team
Support Team

Apologies for any confusion caused by the experience via chat @RoamingHelp

I'd personally contact the number provided to discuss any trouble you're experiencing while overseas

If you're unable to call, I'm confident the case manager will be in touch to work with you until this matter is resolved

After a complaint is raised, you can expect contact within 2 business days & we'll aim to resolve within 10 business days. Depending on the issue, in some cases it may take longer to resolve. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any further assistance, I'm happy to help where I can

If you need us to follow up on your behalf, please let me know the complaint reference number

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

RoamingHelp

Actually, I do not have any confidence that my case manager will resolve this complaint.  

1) In the knowledge that the complaint is about No Service, he 'tried' to reach me on the mobile for the first week.

2) He has repeatedly asked for the same information, which I have provided in the complaint itself.

3) He has taken no visible proactive steps to take the case forward towards resolution.

4) He has demonstrated no knowledge of how to go about addressing the complaint.

Is there a way I can get the complaint transferred to another member of staff?

Separately, I am somewhat confused by your suggestion that I must call to get this resolved rather than using chat.  Is there a different expected quality of service on chat versus calling in?  Shouldn't any member of any support channel in Telstra have awareness of the best way to help customers?  ("If I can't fix your issue, I will find someone who can.")

Support Team
Support Team

I apologise if my response has caused any confusion @RoamingHelp

The number I provided is the direct contact if you're having trouble with your service when you're overseas. You can find the number towards the bottom of the page under the header "Support while overseas" on the following link: https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming 

Do you have the complaint reference handy? It should look similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm happy to follow up with the team that manages these complaint on your behalf to request contact via email & pass the feedback on.

RoamingHelp

Sadly I was right.  Order completed but still no service.

I see no point in speaking with anyone in the call centre - they seem incapable of solving this for me after trying twice.

What can I do?  Surely there's a more switched on set of people somewhere in Telstra who can help?

Complaint reference is SR 1-1267102753751.

Further up this trail @Jupiter seemed to have a clue as to what might be going on...

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for that; I've emailed your case manager, passing along your concerns and request to be contacted by email. Please let us know the outcome, as I'd like to hear you're back up and running - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

RoamingHelp

My goodness Telstra - a new low for customer service.

My utterly useless case manager advised that I have no international roaming because it is barred 'on customer request'.  This is a month after doing nothing.  This guy is useless.

HOW DO I GET MY COMPLAINT MOVED TO SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY CARES???????????????????????????????

Support Team
Support Team

Hi RoamingHelp,

From what I can see, your service looks fine and should be working. As @Jupiter said, I also believe you need to be in Australia for your service to provision successfully. If however there are any outages or disruptions to the local carrier, then this will also affect your service. 

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

RoamingHelp

@TimmyT I am sure you mean well, but you know telling someone who needs help that things 'should' be fine is a little infuriating.

Let me make this simple.  I have a formal complaint with you lot and my case manager is not helping.  How do I have my complaint moved to someone who might be better at their job?  I asked the case manager but he has not done this yet.

Please, can you reach out to whoever heads this team so they can help?

Support Team
Support Team

Sorry to hear you haven't been contacted. I've emailed your case manager, and his manager, passing along your concerns and requesting you be updated as a matter of priority. 

Please let us know how you get on - Matthew.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now