CrowdSupport®
archie4001
Level 2: Rookie

Note10+ 5g loses network. Needs reboot.

Answered

We've upgraded our phones to the new Samsung Note10+ 5G and, initially, they were working great.

Recently, however, both phones seem to have intermittent issues in that they will randomly lose the Telstra network (slashed O symbol shown).

The only way to get back on the network, I've found, is to either drop the network type to 3G or to reboot the phone before it'll pick up 4G/5G again.

It isn't just my phone but also my partner's but not at the same time.

I've been to the T Shop and they've already given me a new SIM so I'm looking for advice on how to resolve this as, when it happens, I don't always notice and it looks like the phone is struggling to try to reconnect as my battery seems to take a big hit in usage.

Do I contact Telstra, who supplied the phones, or Samsung, the manufacturer?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
paul-nz
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Note10+ 5g loses network. Needs reboot.

No issues since upgrading to Telstra Oz Android 10 a week ago

View solution in original post

BSN57
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

I can confirm since updating to Androud 10 the issue has not occurred again.  I've been in all suburbs where the issue used to occur for me - and been in and out of the metro area - the phone switches perfectly between 4g & 5g without disconnecting.  For me the issue has been resolved by the update

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
51 REPLIES 51
Level 23: Superhero

This is one of the pitfalls of being an "early adopter".

Firstly, re the battery usage. Your phone has 2 chips rather than the usual 1, as 5G is a separate chip at present in Samsung phones , and therefore  your phone draws more battery than a single chip phone.

Have you done the monthly Samsung update? As both of your phones have the same network issues, it points away from one handset having issues. It's possible an update has caused the issue to both phones.

Under consumer law both Telstra and Samsung have responsibility, but as a Telstra network customer who purchased the phones from Telstra, Telstra should be managing your problem.

Samsung's assistance in such network  issues is often disappointing.

My opinion is based on having worked in technical testing capacity for 2 very major phone manufacturers, and in Telstra stores and product testing, though some considerable  years ago.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
KLLIM

I am having the exact issue.  I only notice this problem since last week. It is just not you archie4001.  I am not sure the reply from Professorphone is addressing the network dropping off issue.   

archie4001
Level 2: Rookie

I had a chat with Samsung Support and they recommended I bring my phone into their service partner to have it checked and/or replaced but, I suspect, if there's a problem, it's going to be more than just my handset.

I might see if it happens again and specifically when it does, what the circumstances are just before and see if there's a pattern. 

KLLIM

I brought my phone in to Telstra and they claimed it is the sim card issue and replaced the sim card.  This was last Sunday but today it happened again, even with the new sim card.  Please let me know if you find a solution.

TheFran
Level 1: Cadet

I'm also having the same problem.  The issue wasn't present for the first few weeks of owning the phone. It only started about 2 weeks ago and now happens 3 or 4 times per day.  I suspect it started after one of the firmware updates.

paul-nz

I also have the same issues with the Note 10 plus 5G. Even to the point where I was unable to use the phone for 24 hours as a restart would not re-connect to the network.

I have just completed a 2 week test disabling 5G and leaving it set to 3G/4G and no issues. re-enabled 5G yesterday and got to work this morning (Perth CBD) and phone needed re-booting.

I will try the Telstra store today to see if I can get traction.

bl19933

I've noticed the same issue as well over the past couple of weeks. Any luck getting an answer from Telstra other than "Replace the sim card"?

It's quite troubling as you never know when it actually drops out and been missing some important calls/messages. 

KLLIM

The problem seems to have reduced once the sim card is replaced.  Since the card was replaced about 2 weeks ago, I only had one incident of network dropping off.  Still monitoring. 

paul-nz

Just an update.

RE-visiting Telstra today, First was to get the wheels rolling.

Had the issue almost daily, Now I have not had a new Sim yet as mine was replaced only  a year ago but might happen anyway.

Phone def runs warmer when errored.

Also, 3G mode will get you running without restarting. Once backonline with 3G I then tried moving upto 4G and it failed to connect. Phone has been locked out for over 12 hours now and have tried multiple times to move back to 4G and still fails.

paul-nz

Update.

Got a new Sim issued and fitted, Just in case. Phone lasted 24 hours before going offline again.

Interesting it didn't do the Go Hot and shew through battery issue but otherwise the same, Can get the phone back online with 3G or restart.

Problem is Samsung does not provide warranty phones (To Telstra) so I need to back mine up, Send it away for assessment, Hope for a fault found and they will send a replacement. Not ideal

BSN57

I have the same problem - it is now quite chronic.  My record was 6 reboots on one Saturday afternoon.    The phone went into to Samsung who after 4 days came with - tested ok, no problems found.   They put new firmware on it.   The following day it lost connection yet again - didn't even last 24 hours!!

Samsung service is quite hopeless and very unhelpful.  Ready to ditch this phone.  Nothing but problems - if I could swap for my old Note 9 I would!.

So far:

new SIM from Telstra

3 full factory resets

network reset

4 days at Samsung Service Centre

No fix.  Telstra weren't any help either - essentially advising me to take it to Samsung.  So I'm paying for a service I can't use

BSN57

Just had a very frustrating time on the phone with Telstra Chat.    Their advice is to turn off 5g on the phone until the middle of 2020 when it will be rolled out nationally (??).   They had no solution and were unable to advise why the issue has only come about recently.

I asked why it happens - there was no clear answer - they blamed the 5 rollout - I asked surely the phone is supposed to switch automatically from 5g to 4g.  the answer was yes it should but then she went onto blame the 5g network rollout.

I'm no wiser - is it a hardware / software issue from Samsung or a Telstra network issue?    It didn't happen back in August when I got the phone and has only happened in the last few weeks - so could easily be a software update issue.   Interestingly s10 5g phones back in the middle of this year reported the same issue.

As I wrote a month ago, this scenario is the result of a new generation handset and a new generation  network that's being built simultaneously........ with occasional conflicting software.

The advice by Telstra  to use 4G for some time is actually wise unless you accept that issues will come and go.   Having worked for 2 multinational handset manufacturers and 2 networks, in technical capacities, I appreciate the situation that is happening.

Thank you.

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
paul-nz

Hi professor phone 

Only issue with the advice to stay in 4g is that we all have a free trial of 5g which is running out, also paying for a phone which is 5g but can't be used. I am pursuing dropping back to 4g phone and getting some money back.

Telstra gave you a free Trial because it is a trial ....

I don't work for Telstra and I'm not an apologist for Telstra,  but if you recall the launch of the previous mobile networks......when 0172 started in 1946, 007 started in 1981,   AMPS started in 1988,  GSM in 1992,  CDMA about 1995, and then 3G  then 4G ....... all launch networks with new handsets all had such issues. 

Except with 5G, Australian networks don't even "own"   any miiliWave frequencies yet,  and the launch period is going to be a longer process.

Anyone buying a 5G phone or even say Windows 7 or 10 at launch, All had initial issues.

Early adopters have to expect issues.

BSN57

@paul-nz wrote:

I am pursuing dropping back to 4g phone and getting some money back.

Same here, not getting what I paid for.

harmlessbear

I am having exactly same issue with my phone and my wife's phone.

I do notice that around Forest Hill, Vermont South area and CBD. Is it because it is switching to 5G but forgot to turn back on 4G signal when out of 5G area?

May I ask why you would get any money back for the service when Telstra have not charged you for the 5G trial?

The handset is much the same price, $72 difference but you get 256GB instead of 128GB, so it's a bargain either way you look at it,  even as a 4G phone !!

I don't work for Telstra, but it goes back to my reply several weeks ago, that your experience is "par for the course" when you are an early adopter of brand new technology and "first run" manufacture before product and systems advanced de-bugging is accomplished.

BSN57

My phone is 512gb, not sure where 256gb fits in.

From memory when I ordered it back in August it cost more than the equivalent 4g only model.

If Telstra's advice is to switch off 5g, it makes you wonder why they keep selling 5g phones and keep advertising 5g.

Despite it being new technology  I bought and paid for a 5g phone.  It does not work as advertised.  I have not gotten what I paid for.

Simply not good enough.

Well, if you lived near a base station where  5G is your dominant server, you have a great 5G service, even without milliWave frequencies.

Many telecommunication  professionals call the sub milliWave system 4g and a half.

If you live in an area with  marginal 5G service, it's a very different situation that should have been checked before buying it.

Re the handset price, I did not say the 5G was 256GB.

I said there was a $72 difference.

The 256GB pertains to a non 5G phone.

Regardless, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, and my opinion is based on  having spent most of my career in mobile communications.

NOTehappy

PerthPhil

Also having same issues and Samsung denying this is a problem or that they have any knowledge of it being an issue with others...

BSN57

The issue for me continues.  I lodged a complaint with Telstra on 16 Dec 19, but no response as yet.

The phone has now begun to get stuck in 3g - and stays in 3g when I move from a 3g area to a 4g or 5g area.

The original issue remains and is constant.

Either the phone is a dud or the network is.  Samsung say there is no problem and Telstra advise to turn 5g off.  What is the point of a 5g phone then?

millabry

I have the same issue!

When I first got the Note 10+ 5G it worked absolutely fine, then at about the same time as the SW update in early November I started having this problem. 

I was finding that I would arrive at work and would have no service, and nothing I did could get it going again except rebooting the phone. It was this way for a few weeks, then I went overseas for 5 weeks. 

Overseas I used a Vodafone Italy sim card, and in that whole time I didn't have a single instance of this issue. This included my time in Paris where there was patchy 5G service. 

The day I came back to Australia and started using Telstra the problem returned. 

I have narrowed it down to occurring during my commute both to and from work. My theory is it is doing a handover to a specific cell tower, then it is breaking and not handing off to the next one. 

I am in Canberra, and travel from the southern suburbs, through the CBD and then on to the northern suburbs

BSN57

I lodged a complaint with Telstra - apart from the automated response, never got a reply.   Lodged a complaint with the TIO - Telstra rang back the following day.   Arranged for them to phone me a more convenient time - unfortunately the phone lost connection (yet again) so haven’t spoken to them yet.

These days I keep a screen shot of every time the connection is lost - got a lot of them.

Makes you wonder about what happens when the free trial of 5g ends mid-year.  If you paid for it after that and still had the same issues you wouldn’t be too thrilled.

At the moment I have no confidence Telstra get that there is a problem with the Note 10 and 5g.

why anyone would contemplate paying for a 5g subscription mid-year given how things are going is beyond  comprehension.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I've got the same model phone and don't have that problem. I travel in and out of the 5G areas in Melbourne seamlessly nearly every single day.

It sounds like it is a problem with that one tower in your area. If you can identify the location of that tower, then lodge a coverage problem report, it will be easier for Telstra to get it fixed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

When the some types of networks are  designed, you need hand-off data between cell sites, especially when handing from different networks eg 4G to 5G.

PerthPhil

@Jupiter No-one saying it is happening to everyone, but I have several friends also in same boat with S10 / Note10.  Doesn't appear to be a just 5G to 4G handover issue either but one of not releasing. It seems to actually lock up during the release / handover and then will not connect to anything until rebooted. Sometimes requires multiple reboots.  Mine is back with Samsung for testing (third time it has been back for one thing or another) so will see how it goes... 

millabry

Yes I also agree it must be a configuration issue on a specific cell tower causing the issues, at least my example in Canberra.

At lunch today I traveled through a few 5G areas and handover has been fine, so my suspicion at this stage is that it would be the 5G tower in Canberra CBD which is causing my headaches.

Only odd thing is that it also seemed to correspond with a firmware update, but that could easily just be confirmation bias

BSN57

My issue seems to be in several areas - the CBD, West Perth, Subiaco, Osborne  Park, Tuart Hill &  Joondalup.    CBD and Joondalup being 30km apart.  So definitely not a single cell tower in my case.

Had a rather disastrous call with Telstra - who as suspected didn’t understand the issue at all.  They said I would have tp pay $1,600 to get out of the contract - which is not what I wanted or asked for, they then said I could send the phone back (they would waive the $1,600 fee) and once received I could sign up for a new phone.

Totally missed the point.  The person didn’t understand that phone lost connection and required a reboot.

Considering the phone worked perfectly well from August to November, something changed - either in the phone’s software or with Telstra’s 5g network.

The phone / service does not meet Australian Consumer Law, not fit for purpose.  Telstra are in breach of ACL - any yet continue to sell them.

Not good enough.

PerthPhil

@BSN57 It may not seem so, but you are actually one of the lucky ones (and by a good margin).  Given your handset is on a plan, and through Telstra - you have a fair shot at getting all your payments to date refunded and phone returned, following the process of an online complaint (web search, use form) and then follow up with TIO complaint after a week.  I personally have had no such issues with the Note10+ (non-5G version) which is stable and hasn't lost connection.  The 5G version however has been a train wreck.

I am unfortunately not so lucky in that I purchased my phone outright from Harvey Norman and experienced hassles virtually immediately.  It went back to Harvey Norman supplier for three weeks and the replacement has been back to Samsung service centre three times (so without phone for maybe 80-90 days out of the 100 odd days I have owned it). I purchased Note10+ on sale from Officeworks as I couldn't be without phone that long and had committed to giving other phone (Note9) away to sister-in-law.  Harvey Norman simply refuse to refund for phone unless their supplier can replicate the fault.  Terrible service.

I did however recommend my brother-in-law get a P30 Pro and we have done numerous side-by-side comparisons (including near-dark photography 80m from stage at U2 concert Optus Stadium).  P30 Pro won everything hands down (photography, getting service and download speeds in crowded arena). Both on Telstra, same plan, same account.

I have much experience in the complaints department so I would say with a reasonable level of certainty that a telstra complaint followed up by TIO complaint should get all your payments (handset and plan) refunded from date of purchase.  Note10+ not as great value under plan, nor is P30 Pro but both come up on special at Officeworks every 3-4 weeks, or can be purchased outright from Telstra (unsure if they price-match, don't think so)

paul-nz

Hi BSN57

I mainly travel between Karrinyup and Perth CBD (Via Osborne Park) and the problem happens daily. I also have had the problem return from Subiaco along the coast (Bypassing OP) so cell tower issue could be likely

Six weeks ago I disabled 5G on my phone (4G and 3G) and it has been faultless since, Even the battery life has improved massively. Still not happy paying for 5G but least I can now rely on the phone.

PerthPhil

@paul-nz I wondered when you were going to show up here.  I got Thomas the P30 for trip away, was $600 at Officeworks and it is also a truly amazing phone! My 10+5G back in for assessment again.  Fair Trading did tell me I should pay $148 for small claims against Harvey Norman and should easily win with the evidence I have collected...  I am having the same problem-free journey with the non-5G version but given the 5G was outright purchase (and talked into it by HN rep), I should be able to use the 5G version without issue, especially given $500 more...

millabry

Yep the next day I started having it happen all over Canberra - looks like they have just enabled 5G on many towers around town so now it is constantly dropping off. Yesterday I had to reboot my phone about 5 times.

I might try flashing the Android 10 firmware from UK and see if this helps things

paul-nz

Another Update.

Went to the Telstra store today in Perth. this was to hand my phone back to send back to Samsung for assessment. The Tech recommended not to send it back. Previous experience suggested that it will be sent back with "No issue identified" or a manual repair to replace the antenna which again does not solve the problem.

He has advised leaving the phone in 4G/3G/2G mode and logging a complaint with Telstra.

In the interim I have recorded a video of the issue showing results of Airplane mode, 5G to 4G to 3G swapping. 

https://youtu.be/XNFm2bDdiU4

I will also log a cell tower logger and log what towers the phone is using in 4G and 5G mode and hopefully identify where the issue is happening.

Can anyone recommend such an app that logs tower activity?

millabry

I have upgraded my Note 10+ 5G to Android 10 and the problem seems to be fixed!

This firmware isn't available on our Australian phones yet, but you can install the following official firmware for the Telstra Note 10+ 5G model:

https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-N976B/BTU/N976BXXU1BSLA

PerthPhil

Android 10 now out for Note10 but mine still in for repair so haven't been able to assess it yet...

paul-nz

Upgraded last night, Will see how things go.

millabry

Cool, good luck! Mine hasn't had the problem once in the last week

Highlighted
BSN57

Upgraded mine on Tuesday this week, no problems since installed.  Been up and down on the city - Joondalup train line which passes through 4g & 5g areas (normally I'd lose connection) and it's been fine.

Tonight going around the city, West Perth & Subiaco and that will be the big test.  Last week in that area the phone required 4 reboots.

Tonight will tell if problems are actually resolved with Android 10.

But, so far it has been fine.

Schubes

This is when it appears to happen to me too. When switching between 4G and 5G.

paul-nz
Accepted Solution

No issues since upgrading to Telstra Oz Android 10 a week ago

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @BSN57,

Thank you for providing updates on this issue, can I confirm that there have been no further issues since updating to Android 10?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

paul-nz

Since upgrading on the 22nd Jan I have not seen the issue re-occur.

However still on holidays so my normal work/life cycle has not resumed which is mainly when I saw the issue.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the response @paul-nz 

I'm going to mark your post as a solution, so any other community members with the same issue can ensure they have upgraded to Android 10. Please let me know if there are any ongoing issues.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BSN57
Accepted Solution

I can confirm since updating to Androud 10 the issue has not occurred again.  I've been in all suburbs where the issue used to occur for me - and been in and out of the metro area - the phone switches perfectly between 4g & 5g without disconnecting.  For me the issue has been resolved by the update

SH09UN

I have the same issue with my phone, my wifes iphone has no issues yet mine drops signal. I notice it the most when i have been on the wifi in my unit as i dont get singal inside then when i walk outside it wont pick up the telstra network and i have to restart the phone. I have all the latest updates on the phone and it still does it.

PerthPhil

Me too - but not as much since updates to 10, so ended up taking it back for a full refund.  Interestingly also have the Note10+ (non-5G) and it has been faultless. Ended up buying a Note10+ because the 5G version was in for repairs so much and hasn't missed a beat in five months.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more