CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Phone hot-spot not so great?

so just change over to Telstra from optus for there unlimited plan as I can't get any other forms of internet where I live and so far the hot-spot has been worse than optus I use my hot-spot for online gaming and it's really impossible trying to play online so far as I have consent lag it doesn't come and go it's always the same any tips for making this better faster for stable? I have tried moving my phone to better locations but hasn't made a difference yet. I choose to change thinking Telstra would be better as they have better coverage in the country but I've had the same amount of bars as optus and as u said its worse so far.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Phone hot-spot not so great?

What model phone do you have? Some phones don't work on all the frequencies that the Telstra Base stations use.
Highlighted

Samsung s9 plus I was previously using the HTC u 11
Highlighted

The Samsung S9 plus covers all the frequencies used by Telstra and has good reception. You might be in one of the few areas were Optus has better coverage.

Highlighted

We shall see my friend has told me they have had the same issues after swapping from optus and they live in Perth. I know area makes a difference but Telstra has always been better from experience and them constantly guess I will see how I go
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@Bluejade wrote:
We shall see my friend has told me they have had the same issues after swapping from optus and they live in Perth. I know area makes a difference but Telstra has always been better from experience and them constantly guess I will see how I go

Have a look at the app Open Signal it will give you more info on your coverage.

My area has better Vodafone coverage, and the funny thing is, when I was with Telstra it showed me the tower I was connecting too, but when I changed over to their little brother Belong it changed me to a different tower. Albeit both are not that great for me anyway.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

I just tried my old HTC u 11 and I lag once compared to the Samsung with it being unbearable
Highlighted

@Bluejade wrote:
I just tried my old HTC u 11 and I lag once compared to the Samsung with it being unbearable

I'm personally impressed with the Samsung S9 and don't have any lag issues with hotspot at all.

I would try though going into settings/device maintenance and optimise, then reboot the phone and re-check. 

Highlighted

That's fine for u but unfortunately not the case for me the hot-spot is poorly and what setting do u suggest I try optimising?
Highlighted

@Bluejade wrote:
That's fine for u but unfortunately not the case for me the hot-spot is poorly and what setting do u suggest I try optimising?

Your just in a poor reception area so its not really a hotspot issue.

Samsung will automatically optimise (via the path I said above) but it can be forced. Samsungs also have a setting that you can choose when to reboot, so I am only suggesting to do it manually. At times mobiles need to do this to fix little quirks.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more