rgcl
Level 2: Rookie

Poor mobile reception in Melbourne inner suburbs?

I moved to a house in Caulfield South 2 month ago and since that my call quality is absolutely terrible. 

Most calls coming up as WiFi Calls which according to Telstra website means "when you can’t connect to the mobile network".

When I'm outside and WiFi signal is weak or turned off, I can hardly use a phone. Call quality is bad, mobile data is very slow, etc.

I can imagine I'm probably in a bad spot without too many towers nearby but is there anything can be done about it except switching mobile to another provider?

Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Poor mobile reception in Melbourne inner suburbs?

What model phone do you have? You shouldn't have reception problems outside in Caulfield South.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
rgcl

I have Pixel 3 XL

Here are the measurements using Phone Signal app.

I took them outside of the house.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Support Team
Support Team

Hi rgcl, 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your Pixel 3 XL and I can appreciate the frustration here.

In this instance, I would recommend getting in touch with our mobile faults team on 125 111 as they will be able to advise further on your situation.

Please let me know how you go.

- Matty

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
rgcl

Please let me know how you go.

Thanks for your advice.

I gave them a call, they did something and I immediately could see a difference.

The signal strength went up to -90dB, and I could see HSDPA sign.

But soon after it went back to -120dB and 4G...

Not sure what is it they could do from their end but it doesn't last...

Level 22: Superhuman

I'd strongly recommend you try it with another handset, and preferably with your sim.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

What happened was that you handset dropped back to use 3G rather than 4G. It means that your phone is picking up a much stronger 3G signal.

I would think that maybe the 4G (LTE) radio in your phone is faulty.

I was driving through Caulfield South yesterday on my way home and I didn't have a reception problem at all. The evidence is currently pointing to a fault with your phone.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now