CrowdSupport®
AnonymousUser
Level 2: Rookie

Porting delays from Optus to Telstra 18/09 - 24/09

Hi,

I recently purchased a Telstra plan/mobile from JBHIFI to where they release the phone once Telstra has ported the number from Optus.

I've entered in my SMS code on the first day (18/09) and have since been waiting for Telstra to successfully port my number over.

I have called the porting team several times, where all of which tell me it's been escalated and that "we are facing a glitch in the IT system" (all agents have given a different time-frame on the glitch (1-5 weeks).

Compared to others, I haven't waited as long, however, I'm well passed the 24-48 hours and an escalation doesn't seem to be fixing anything.

I contacted the porting agent again today (24/09) to where she again said it's a glitch and they don't know when it will be fixed.

Is there a solid answer out there that Telstra can provide or at least give a real time on when the 'IT Issue' will be fixed so everyone can port their numbers over?

If not, I'd say you will be losing some valuable customers.

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Porting delays from Optus to Telstra 18/09 - 24/09

You really should be speaking to JB HiFi  as they have an interface into the Telstra system. 

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
AnonymousUser

The issue is past JBHIFI now. It appears in their system that it's a delay on Telstra's end and that there are no errors in what I was meant to do for Telstra. I have already escalated it past the point to where they would.

Additionally, JBHIFI has informed me that myself and them have done all steps required by Telstra and that JBHIFI have many many more people waiting on Telstra to port their numbers through.

Last week, I was in the JBHIFI shop and they showed me via their interface/system that Telstra have submitted a delay on porting and that it should have been resolved/ported already.

I appreciate your response, however, JBHIFI, in short, aren't the issue.

Cheers

ponnurz

Having the exact same issue after signing up and porting over from JBHIFI. I've contacted the porting team on 1800 631 334 who have said they are the only people who know what is going on and most times frames provided by Telstra live chat representatives are false and misleading as they are not aware. 

I've been told my case has been escalated multiple times and after a lengthy discussion with the porting team was told the issue would be cleared and I would be ported over in max 72 hours. I was told this on Monday 23rd and I signed up on the 18/9 as well. Whether the porting team know accurate time frames though is another question.

AnonymousUser

Update: So mine finally got ported over yesterday (24/09) night.

What I did that may or may not have helped with the process:

- Contacted customer service a few times for updates

-Contacted porting team twice for an update, both of which escalated my order number

-Submitted a formal complaint to Telstra

Now, I know this may not be a solution, however, I think it's appropriate to address the real issue with this problem, communication.

If Telstra either told it's pending customers or JBHIFI that there is an issue in the system, they could've informed me and thus would've changed the way I inquired about my plan.

@ponnurz, I hope yours finalised today or else maybe submit a complaint as well. That's the only way they're really going to understand what the real problem is.

Telstra, please address these concerns. They are consistent with every other porting forum on this website as well and still have seen no resolution.

Thanks for porting my number, but please change the process in which customers interact with.

Cheers

A12DO
Level 1: Cadet

I am in the same boat guys! Placed JB HIFI order on 20 September and still waiting.... Communications have been very poor and they been playing blame game on Optus although it's actually Telstra's system is at fault.

Very unimpressed!

ponnurz

I've made further contact today and enquired regarding the 72 hour timeframe and have now been told there is no ETA as they are waiting on the IT team to fix these issues and they have no idea when this will be fixed. 

What's also frustrating is that JBHiFi incentivise you with giftcard options for signing up, but you can't receive it until the number is ported over which just make this whole situation worse.

I am also told this issue has been ongoing for 3 weeks but was recognised on Sep 13. So why I wasn't informed when singing up is very frustrating.

AnonymousUser

Yah, I was quite frustrated that I wasn't told before getting sucked into a voucher deal (which is a great deal if the porting is fast).

I was told that this has been going since at least the beginning of August, so why wasn't anyone told. That is really shady.

@A12DO, I was in the same boat. I called Telstra about the porting and they said it wasn't released so I called Optus and they said 'no, it was never requested by Telstra'. This was the first two days and funny enough, after I proved to Telstra that Optus had released my number on the very first day, a Telstra porting order number went through...

For being 'the top' telco, they really have a lot of room for improvement. Maybe the mods here will pass some info on...

ponnurz

I’m still currently waiting with no known timeframe for this fix. Any luck in your port going through? As it’s obviously not being done on whoever was waiting’s longest. 

As85

Hi

im also in your boat. Been waiting to port over from Optus to Telstra (through jb Hi-Fi) since the 21/9.  Got the text, entered pin and got the success message. No port. Escalated it with Telstra on 23/9, no call back or action. Called again on 25/9 and asked for the text to be resent to initiate the port, told I’d receive the text in 24 hrs, nothing. Called again on 2/10 and still told same issues with their system with no eta. Lodged a complaint on 3/10 

SR 1-2215320111784 not sure what else to do?! Absolutely frustrating and disappointing service from Telstra with no warning or acknowledgement anywhere that they have this ongoing issue! Now 14 days and counting..

Support Team
Support Team

We’re experiencing some delays with porting mobile numbers at the moment. Our team is working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience. - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

CT20

Similar to a few users on this board (and others), started port on 27/9 and am still waiting today 11/10.  First level support cannot see my issue detail and I have been directed to contact Porting team.  Porting team have raised INC and to date they have always responded they are waiting for IT to resolve system error.  How long does a customer have to wait?  The problem is that everytime to call the porting team on 1800 number, I am on hold at least 45 mins.

Furthermore because I am not yet ported over, I would have spend more money on Optus to keep my service running.  I expected better from Australia's premium carrier.

Order reference 1-2208154599432.

INC0090765921

Will lodge formal complaint very soon.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @CT20,

I caun understand your concern and apologise for the delay to activate your mobile service. 

We’re experiencing some delays with porting mobile numbers at the moment and working to resolve this as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Merhababob

Am in exactly the same boat although I have not been waiting (yet) as long as most here. Phone received on 10OCT19 - followed all instructions, including the text message and entering PIN, activation via App etc. Have called Telstra Sales who advised that I needed to wait a further 24-48 hours and still nothing.... Have called the Porting Team but was on hold for 58 minutes so gave up. Will try again later today but at this stage NOW having two mobile phone accounts that I am paying, Im not too impressed. Will be escalating beyond Telstra (Ombusdman) if not resolved in a timely manner. 

As85

23 days and counting Mathew.. still haven’t ported! My sister in law signed up today and ported within 1 hr. What are Telstra doing when clearly hundreds if not thousands of people are having this issue? Customer service and transparent communication has been very disappointing. Despite having a dedicated case manager (SR 1-2215320111784) still no further progressed or resolved. And now their my accounts page is down. Seriously?!!!!

Support Team
Support Team

I'm sorry to hear that @As85, if you'd like I can follow up with your case manager about this?

As85

Please do

Support Team
Support Team

No worries As85, 

We've just contacted the case manager of your complaint requesting contact as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you're not contacted by end of business day tomorrow.

- Matty

As85

Hi matty

no response as per usual.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi As85, 

Sorry for the delays with your case manager calling. This can take 2 to 5 business days once we passed this on but please let us know if you have not received contact by the end of today. 

As85

Iain 

if it takes 2-5 days for the case manager to respond from when you let them know it should have been made immediately rather than me having to again advise Telstra on the lack of communication from them. 

I’ve now made a TIO complaint also. 

Support Team
Support Team

If a case has been lodged with the TIO they would be liaising with our Complaints teams for a case manager to follow up with you as well. This would be separate to the case manager assigned to SR 1-2215320111784. 

Highlighted
StrayaM8
Level 9: Captain

I can almost be certain that the JB Hi-Fi consultant you spoke to would have been aware of porting issues when he processed the order for you. It's a well known issue with Telstra in the last few weeks. 

Rather than tell you and lose the sale, he figured maybe it wouldnt effect you and went ahead with it.

Raising complaints realistically wont make any impact on the porting process if its a deep rooted issue in their back end systems, which is what it seems like. If theres nothing they can do but wait, then theres nothing they can do but wait.

Glad it got resolved, though

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now