CrowdSupport®
Arijit
Level 2: Rookie

Porting number - Call centre employee shouts at me!

Answered

My wife had a Boost prepaid connection. She opted to move to Telstra prepaid and called them. They said that they will send a sim card and she will have to activate it. Her current Boost recharge was valid for another three weeks, so she decided to activate it a couple of days before it ended (the same way she did while she went from Amaysim to Boost).

Today early morning we discovered that she was disconnected from Boost. On calling them we learned that Telstra had already ported the number. We were astonished as we had not receive the new sim card yet (it came after midday)! Also, we were supposed to hold off the porting till a later date to utilize the current balance.

We called Telstra from my Telstra prepaid connection. We talked to a woman who was curt from the very beginning. No matter how I try to ask her why would Telstra port her number and let her be disconnected before she even received the new sim card, she kept on saying that we had opted for it and the system does not care if the new sim card has reached or not. She started shouting and I had to say "Please lower your voice". She said specifically that since we opted for it we should be prepared for being without a connection. I asked why would the system behave in such a manner to which she replied "we are outsourced and we cannot hold off the process"! I asked what she meant by that and she replied "yes, we are not in Australia and we cannot hold the process till the sim card arrives via post". I was quite taken aback and asked her why should I care what her location is and how Telstra operates their call centres. She did not answer the question and said that I had asked for her help and she is trying to "help" me.

I said that I had enough of her help and she hung up with a curt "Bye".

I never got any option to provide a feedback.

Is this the official Telstra line of customer care? Does Telstra think everything that has happened with the number porting and the "help" received from the customer care is in accordance to its policy?

This is not the first time that a Telstra customer care professional has misbehaved with me. Although this is the first time this has gone to such humiliation.

I thought that Telstra's superior customer care was one of the key attractions for being its customer. But it seems that there is no accountability among customer care professionals which has induced a culture of foul behaviour towards callers. Today's experience has given much food for thought.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Porting number - Call centre employee shouts at me!

Sorry, seemed to have an extra space at the end of the link...
https://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints

Try that one now.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

While there are at times language barriers, misunderstandings or even just ineptitude amongst the staff you can get at Telstra as with pretty much any organisation, particularly those with offshored centres or in the case of Telstra a blended approach, I have seldom come across cases such as that one. If you had the interaction number I would have suggested reporting them as I am sure the management would have, where possible, picked up the voice recording and provided the appropriate coaching for the agent in question. Given they hung up it is unfortunately unlikely they would have given you that by the sounds of how they were. I could suggest lodging an official complaint about the situation in general, I would put in the complaint a request for them to provide you with a Telstra recharge equal to or greater to the one that was lost due to the lapse in communication on the process causing you to lose the Boost credit. 

I can honestly say I have dealt with some curt agents but never ones who are, for a lack of a better description, abusive towards their customers... that isn't normal.

The complaint process and contact(s) are here:

http://telstra.com/complaints 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Arijit

Thanks for the reply. The link for complaint does not work.
Accepted Solution

Sorry, seemed to have an extra space at the end of the link...
https://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints

Try that one now.
Helpful Links

Highlighted
Arijit

Complained at the above link and wife received a call yesterday. There was a gentleman speaking this time (in contrast to the last time) and he profusely apologised and promised to take corrective action. Also they checked the Boost data and validity that was lost and added to the current recharge. Did not cross check the calculation, does not matter that much, we are suckers for good behavior in today's world. Smiley Very Happy Thanks DrQ, you helped me calm down and not take drastic steps like changing the connection.

That is great. I am so glad you got someone willing to look at it reasonably for you. Great to hear it worked out. Still in shock about the initial response though.
Helpful Links

FoxNewsJunkie
Level 1: Cadet

Did that person have a particulalr 'accent' (asked he, knowingly) ????
FormerTelstra

If you believe you were treated inappropriately by a customer service operative then you should register a complaint. 

Contact the Telstra complaints department - be ready to tell them what number you called from and what time. They will be able to track the call, listen to a recording, and take action.

Trust me - if the person behaved as you described there will be disciplinary action. 

I worked with one of Telstra's offshore outsourcers and I can tll you Telstra staff certainly are held accountable.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now