Highlighted
Toushika
Level 3: Gumshoe

Purchasing an International Travel Pass

When I used a Travel Pass 2 years ago I purchased it before I left Australia, and it was activated via a phone call affter I arrived overseas.

Now I see I have to purchase it once I arrive in the other country, and it says to do that via a Telstra 24x7 app. It also says before purchasing you have to "activate roaming". I assume that's data roaming.

My question is: if I turn on data roaming, my phone will immediately start synching email, etc. and before I can even get to the app and buy the Travel Pass, I'll have run up a lot of data charges at $3/Mb.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is there a way to purchase the pack while overseas without copping a lot of data charges before that pack is active?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Purchasing an International Travel Pass

You are able to purchase your Travel Pass before you leave but they do start immediately so to get the best out of them its best to wait until you leave. Further information can be found directly via https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/mobiles-on-a-plan#arrive--pass

Only when you exceed your data allowance, after your international Travel Pass has expired or in countries not included in your Zone, you will be charged $3 per MB (charged per KB or part thereof).

Having International Roaming is still considerably cheaper than waiting until you arrive to activate.  Further details regarding International Roaming can be found at https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Toushika

Thanks to MammaB for that reply. It didn't actually address my question, which was "if I turn on data roaming, my phone will immediately start synching email, etc. and before I can even get to the app and buy the Travel Pass, I'll have run up a lot of data charges at $3/Mb."

The page MammaB linked to says:

1. TURN ON your mobile phone or tablet as soon as you reach your destination, and ensure data roaming is switched on.
  2. CONNECT automatically to the local mobile network. Once connected, you’ll receive an SMS (if your device is capable of receiving SMS) from us to confirm your roaming is working, including the pay-as-you-go rates for your destination.
  3. PURCHASE your Travel Pass and enjoy the peace of mind of managing your roaming costs, and convenience of using your own number

I suspect, the moment I do "1", my phone will start using data at $3/Mb and the "peace of mind" in 3 will only occur after I've spent a lot of money.

MammaB then said: "Only when you exceed your data allowance, after your international Travel Pass has expired or in countries not included in your Zone, you will be charged $3 per MB (charged per KB or part thereof)."

I think thisis incorrect. Surely the $3/Mb applies until the purchase in "3" is complete, including the interaction with Telstra voa the app.

Is there any way to purchase an International Travel Pass while overseas WITHOUT paying the $3/Mb to do the connection. Presumably is can by done while connected via WiFi? Can I do it by ringing the toll-free +61 439 125 109 number Telstra quotes for the Travel Pass?

Support Team
Support Team

I am sorry the information I provided missed your initial enquiry. Further details of when you will incur the cost is listed directly online at https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/mobiles-on-a-plan#arrive--pass under the "things You need to Know' Tab.

You can certainly call the toll-free number from your Telstra handset to arrange the Travel Pass while away.  But we recommend activating this in the Airport before you leave.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Toushika

Thanks MammaB. I think you are confirming that the process of signing up to a Travel Pass while away will result in $3/Mb charges until the Pass is activated (plus any other data charges my phone runs up once data roaming is turned on.)

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct, may I respectfully suggest this is a flaw in the design of the current system for acquring a Pass. And certainly Telstra should be advising customers of this potential for running up charges.

You also wrote: "You can certainly call the toll-free number from your Telstra handset to arrange the Travel Pass while away.  But we recommend activating this in the Airport before you leave."

Which airport? I presume you mean the arrival airport overseas?

You didn't answer the part about WiFi. I can use the 24x7 app over WiFi in Australia, so presumably it's the same from elsewhere?

Support Team
Support Team

We meant your departure airport.  Using the 24x7 App overseas will incur Roaming Charges. I shall also pass on your feedback relating to how this is currently set up.

Toushika

Thanks for passing that on. By advising customers to turn on data roaming without warning them that they WILL invoke charges before they get the Travel Pass purchased and activated is a major shortcoming, and probably places Telstra in breach of the relevant trade practices legislation. If it's not remedied either by the addition of a clear warning or a redesign of the process I will certainly be taking this further.

Your also advise that purchasing and activating the Travel Pass by using Telstra's toll-free number should be done at the departure airport. Why? What is the problem with doing it at Heathrow, CdeG, Narita, etc?

And can the purchase via the 24x7 App be done via WiFi?

Toushika

I see in the page announcing the current arrangements it says:

How to buy

Both Business and Personal customers can do this once you have arrived in the destination country by calling +61 439 125 109 (there is no charge to call us from a Telstra mobile).

[https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Changes-to-International-Travel-Pass/ba-p/52452...]

Presumably that still applies.

Toushika

Well to close this one off, we're now back from two weeks in Japan. Both my daughter and I bought 2-week

roaming packs. As we'd arrived after the close-off time for the toll-free 0439..... number (9pm AEST), my daughter

turned off synchronizing on her majer apps, enabled data roaming and charged in to buy the pack. We don't know

yet how much data she used at $3/Mb before the pack became active. She then started a hotspot and I bought

my pack via WiFi.

I'll check to see if Telstra has added any pricing warnings to their page about  purchasing a pack while overseas.

If they haven't, I'll raise it a few places. Choice always likes to pursue these things.

EJBChico
Level 1: Cadet

I think the best way around this would be to activate roaming and purchase the travel pass at the airport before you leave for your destination.

It will mean that the travel pass time clock will start ticking before you get to your destination however in most cases that would not be more than 24hours, so on a 14 day pass would = $10.00. Small price for avoiding the hassle and the potential "unknown" costs of roaming data.

Toushika

Hmm. Except that the 14 day pass just became a 13 day pass. Why can't Telstra let you nominate a start time & date when purchasing?
Level 20: Director

I have just returned from Europe where I purchased one 30 day pass followed by a 3 day pass.

Telstra has recently improved the information relating to the product significantly:

• I recommend activation via the 24/7 App, it takes only a couple of minutes.
  • The info now provided re your arrival in a new country, the activation confirmation, the charges (if no travel pass) and the iminent expiry are all clearly set out in text messages - see examples of messages below - the last photo being a screenshot of the very useful info shown on the 24/7 App. These are real recent screen shots
  • Yes - the information from Telstra is in AEST time, you need to have "World Time" on your clock app if you are not good at maths.
  • Travel Passes are only available on Post Paid, so be careful on that one as Pre-paid has poor support overseas and the charges are higher
  • I agree that it would be ideal if you had the option to state that you want it activated at 06:00 GMT or some required time, but given the minor delay in activation, do the activation via 24/7 once the flight announcement says "you may turn on your phone"
  • I do not think that the minor data use for such activation is charged
  • Check out the rates and instructions here: https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/mobiles-on-a-plan
  • If anything goes wrong: Call between 8am-9pm AEDT on +61 439 125 109 for technical or roaming support while overseas. All calls are toll free if made from a Telstra service. (In my experience the queue on this number is short)

fullsizeoutput_8d64.jpegWindows XP - 1.jpgWindows XP - 2.jpgWindows XP - 3.jpgWindows XP - 4.jpg

Telstra also recently reduced the price of Travel Passes, 30 day zone 2 reduced from $450 to $300, (which is similar to Optus $10 per day). If you need to purchase a second pass, try to do it within an hour or so before the old one expires as the unused data flows over to the new pass

I would not leave Au without one, and I would have no problems recommending a Travel Pass to my friends

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Somewhere the brochure says "up to 24 hours..." but in my recent experience it has been no more than a minute or two. Even 2 years ago it was maybe 15 minutes and the recent release has improved that considerably
Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

My experiencing is that activating the travel pass is unmetered

This is still a good summary (although zones have been reduced to 2, and the top price reduced to $300)
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Changes-to-International-Travel-Pass/ba-p/52452...

Hi MammaB - can you check this - in my very recently experience I feel that activation via the 24/7 app is free? You have access to my number, you have my permission to check the detail on my account, On 22 May at 04:17 AEST I had just landed in Amsterdam, activated via 24/7 app but I can see no charges recorded that could be associated?
HarryB13

Hi there
I'm currently overseas and purchased a travel pack before I left. It doesn't appear to be activated as I have no service and did not receive the follow up call before I left as promised. What do I do? The order ref: 1-118 147 79793934
Thanks
Melanie
Support Team
Support Team

Hi HarryB13,

Sorry to hear that the Travel Pass and International Roaming has not activated. 

Our Billing team via secure Live Chat here:  http://tel.st/hsc3 can access your account to help resolve. 

As explained below, Call between 8am-9pm AEDT on +61 439 125 109 for technical or roaming support while overseas. All calls are toll free if made from a Telstra service. (In my experience the queue on this number is short and they are quite helpful

Hi Melanie - further to the below, I have had further thoughts on this one as a few things do not make sense:

Few questions:

• do you have a post paid phone (or pre-paid?)
  • from your question it is not clear that you are talking Travel Pass (Post paid) or Travel Data Pack (Prepaid)
  • have you turned on Roaming ON on your phone? This varies from handset to handset, but on an iPhone go: Settings> Mobile> Mobile Data = ON, and Mobile Data Options > Data Roaming = ON
  • Under Settings > Mobile, scroll down to "USE MOBILE DATA FOR" and make sure the things you expect to use when away are turned ON, especially Mail, Messenger, Phone etc. It is better to think of this list as turning OFF all the things that you will not be using overseas.
  • Do you have the Telstra 24/7 App loaded and set up with your account added? There are new features added to the 24/7 app which are almost essential for travellers. You also use 24/7 to check that roaming is active and to purchase a Travel Pass
Jbreen

So just to check:

- you can buy your pass before you leave Asutralia;

- you can acctivate it via the phone app once you arrive at your destination.

Is that correct?

Hi Jbreen, a little confusion,

Yes, you can purchase a travel pass before you leave Au, but it is activated within minutes of when you purchase it, so if, for example, you are on a 20 hour flight to Ehrope, you have lost a days value.

(As an aside, there is considerable interest in what you are describing as it has some logic, but not the process yet.)

Second dash point - it is all a one step process. Via the 24/7 app, (Open the App> tap on the service on which you want the Travel Pass> Select "Add Ons" top middle> Tap on "International Travel Pass" > (generally the bottom Add On)> Your Roaming Status is highlighted, (Turn this on in settings if necessary) Scroll down to "International Travel Pass"> and follow the prompts to chose the prompts for Zone and Days, and Tap "Purchase" all too easy.

You will get an SMS within a few Minutes advising that your Travel Pass is active. (If you do not get the message within 30 Minutes or if you get a message saying something has gone wrong, ring +61 439 125 109 between 8am-9pm AEDT for technical or roaming support while overseas. All calls are toll free if made from a Telstra service. (In my experience the queue on this number is short and they are quite helpful)

It is also my experience that Purchasing your Travel Pass when you are overseas is not charged roaming data.

Just to sumarise, you DO NOT buy one day and activate on another day, the act of purchase activates it.

Other points:

1. Travel Pass is only on Account linked Post Paid phones, NOT Prepaid
  2. Leave your Phone on Aeroplane Mode until you want to Purchase/Activate,
  3. Make sure International Roaming is turned ON
  4. Scroll down through the apps for which you are using Mobile data and turn OFF all the Apps where you do not need real time info.
  5. Turn Off "Background Application Refresh"

Have a good trip🥂

Read through my other posts below, I was away for 5 weeks and only returned a few days ago

Snazzy24

Hi There,

I'm still confused, has the International Day pass for $10 per day replaced the travel plan, based on the number of days you were OS? I used to buy a plan for 7 or 14 days and have the problem of charges at the airport once you land before you have a chance to purchase the plan. Now it looks like it's not charged until after you land which is a much better system.

I was just trying to work out how to purchase a 14 day travel plan for the time we'll be in Thailand from this Friday on my phone, and I accidentally activated an international Day pass. I've received the Telstra message that it's active when you use the service in eligible destinations. 

Can you please confirm that I won't be charged for this until I land at the airport and I won't be charged $10 for every day up to our flight this Friday? 

Do I have to purchase a day pass everyday or does it just keep running until you deactivate it? How do you deactivate it?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the new $10 per day has replaced the old 3, 7, 14 & 30 day passes, and the charging will start once you use it overseas. A more transparent system. You need to have International Roaming turned on, which by your comments it would appear to be ON. Have a good trip.
Toushika

This seems to be a vast improvement, and removes all the issues I had with the earlier approaches.

I have a couple of questions about aspects which are not  clear in the product WWW page:

- once activated, does it stay activated? Or do I have to turn it on for each trip?

- If I don't use my phone for a day, am I correct in assuming the $10 charge doesn't apply for that day?

- if the answer to the above is "yes", which 24-hour period applies for charging. Local time? AEST?

Thanks again.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Toushika, the International Day Passes have definitely received great feedback since their roll-out in recent months, specifically regarding being able to control your spend whilst you are overseas.

To opt-in to International Day Pass, you must first have International Roaming active on your service. If you keep International Roaming active and you don't deactivate it, International Day Pass will also remain active, therefore ready for if you go overseas again.

You are correct in assuming that, International Day Passes are available for use each day but are only charged when you use your service overseas. Each 'day' is AEST, so best to confirm the time this would be at your destination prior to your departure.

You can find the full Critical Information Summary at: https://www.telstra.com/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/mobile/international-day-pas...

Toushika

Thanks!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You are most welcome @Toushika, travel safe!

SamFoss

Hi Adam,

I have a small business account for a mobile phone that includes a 'data share' sim for an iPad. Will a single International Travel Pass allow both devices to be used over the carrier network, sharing the daily allowance, or will I in need to create a hotspot from my phone to share the data with my iPad?

Cheers

Sam

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sam, great question! The Day Pass would apply only to the individual service, so you'd either need a Day Pass for each SIM or you can tether Smiley Happy Enjoy your trip! 

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more