CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Improvize
Level 2: Rookie

Question about International Roaming

Answered

Hello. I am hoping someone will know the answer to this sepcific scenario as I am travelling overseas in less than two weeks.

What I plan on doing is diverting all calls from my phone to another (local Australian) landline number. I fully accept I will pay for the cost of the call from my mobile to that number. But I do not want to pay for ANY international calls, either incoming or outgoing.

What I would like to know is, if I turn on international roaming and turn my phone on while overseas, will the forwards for calls be forwarded locally in Australia? I'm hoping my handset has nothing to do with the call forwards as I would still like to be able to receive/send SMS while overseas and roaming.

What I'm scared of, is that the all calls forward will end up being a forward from my overseas back to the Australian landline number.

All data will remain completely disabled.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Question about International Roaming

If you setup a complete call divert it'll remain local as your phone it's self has been taken out of the loop (for calls), so it wouldn't even matter if you was on the ISS Smiley Wink

Keep in mind its way more expensive to send and receive SMS's with data off you won't be able to send nor receive MMS's.

Cheers,
Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

If you setup a complete call divert it'll remain local as your phone it's self has been taken out of the loop (for calls), so it wouldn't even matter if you was on the ISS Smiley Wink

Keep in mind its way more expensive to send and receive SMS's with data off you won't be able to send nor receive MMS's.

Cheers,
Dave

Improvize
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for this. Yup! I also confirmed this with Telstra yesterday...

When I'm overseas, my phone will be setup for international roaming but with my calls forwarded to my Skype number, I won't receive any voice calls. I also will not be making any outgoing calls (except in an absolute emergency). Data roaming will be completely disabled the whole time so I will not incur any data costs whatsoever. I will still receive incoming SMS messages (free in every country I'm visiting – including on a lot of public transport) and be able to send SMS messages from wherever I am which will incur international costs of $0.75 each. But I don't plan on sending SMS messages either.

What I will be doing is using wi-fi wherever I go. And it's free and readily available most places. My handset is set so that Skype and Viber are always on so will be signed in whenever I have wi-fi access. At those times, I can received phone calls people make to my mobile number thanks to my forward to my Skype number and also Skype to Skype and Viber to Viber (obviously). I can also make calls with Skype or Viber. Skype to mobile or Skype to landline numbers are also setup so that my caller ID shows as my mobile. So it will be seamless for any calls I make back to Australia. Whenever Skype isn't online, people will be able to leave a Skype voice mail message that I will be able to get as soon as I'm back on a wi-fi connection.

So all up, I will be paying only the $24 for the Skype number, the costs of forwarded calls from my mobile to my Skype number (included in my monthly cap plan anyway), and SMS messages I send when not on wi-fi (when on wi-fi I will be sending SMS by Viber or Skype) and and calls I make with my Skype credit.

No hassle of getting a local sim and enough access to cover me while I'm on holidays. Being available/connected only when on wi-fi has the added bonus of meaning I can actually focus on enjoying my holiday rather than having my head in my phone.

picasso29
Level 1: Cadet

Does Mobile data off (galaxy Android) mean that i can still do an sms...roaming is on, wifi off too. Ill be in Italy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi picasso29,

Having data off should not prevent you from being able to send SMS. Of course it will prevent MMS, however.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now