CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

SMS issues with 3mobile

Answered

Hi

I am new to this...., so will give it a go Smiley Happy

I am currently experiencing serious issues with receiving sms from my sister who is with 3 mobile - Sydney  (I am Telstra - Perth).  It only appears to be happening over the past month & not getting anywhere with ither carriers.

I can send a sms, she receives it & responds, I receive it & I respond, she receives it & responds...then that seems to be when the problems start. I don't always get the sms from then on.

I was recently in Tassie & Sydney & now back in Perth & experienced problems in all locations.  We have both replaced our sim cards, Telstra has changed my network settings (as apparently I was on the same one that is ending & Vodaphone is taking over).

We have performed massive amounts of tests back & forth to try & eliminate causes, including swapping sim cards with my husband (Telstra) in case of phone issue at my end.....but no luck so far.

Local Telstra Shop has asked me to come back again tomorrow to speak to one of their tech's as they dont know what else to do..... 3 Mobile says it's Telstra & Telstra says possibly 3....!!!  Dont seem to be getting anywhere.

Any suggestions please ?????   :-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: SMS issues with 3mobile

HI

Sorry for the delay in responding....as I needed to go interstate again.

I received a phone call from Sarah @ Telstra a few weeks back & she requested that I send further test messages to my sister....I explained that I had already reached my cap limit & was waiting for it to be re-set.  I also mentioned that the timing was not good & I was not in the position to do these tests.

She said that she would close my file until I had the opportunity to do the tests....I requested this not be done until I felt the issue was sorted.

A day or so later, I received another call from Telstra - Daniel I think.... he said that apparently 3 mobile had changed the way that their sms were delivered during the period we experienced issues.  He said the problem was now solved - he closed my complaint file on the basis that I could re-open it if the problem was not fixed.

I advised my sister of the outcome & she took it up with 3 mobile - who disputed Telstra's resolution.  They then attempted to blame my phone settings etc...... all been heard before.  My sister & I sent numerous sms whilst I was in Tassie - and it appears there were no issues, so it looks like the problem is now sorted.

I believe the issue was a 3 mobile issue.  I have only returned hom recently & am yet to advise Telstra that i feel the matter is now fixed & request the complaint be closed off.

My sister has now ported her number to Telstra & is happy with the service to date Smiley Happy

My brother will also be doing the same when his contract is up in October, as when he was also recently in Tassie he got charged roaming charges for all his calls / sms - even though his phone setting showed that he was connected to the 3 network....so now he also has a battle on his hands dealing with overseas call centres to rectify his complaint.

I for one will NEVER return to 3 mobile & as far as I am aware my family will not either.  Such a shame as I considered them to be very reliable until they starting relying on the Vodaphone network.

Thanks you to all that have read my posts & offered input in an attempt to solve this matter.

Thanks heaps to Qwetfu for your responses & assistance :-)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
QwertFu
Level 12: Master Detective

Hi Newbie and welcome,

Couple of questions.

1. Have either of you ported (ie, moved between carriers and kept your mobile number)? If so, roughly how long ago?

2. What make and model of phone are you each using?

Other than that, give us a call on 132200 and ask for mobile faults. The key is to make sure you have at least three Rock Solid examples of the issue. ie, "My sister sent me a message at XX:XX pm on DATE, and i didnt receive it until XX:XX am on DATE" etc. It's the only way we can track down exactly what's happening.

Thanks

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.

Thanks Qwetfu

I have been using a Motorola Defy since December & have been with Telstra for 2.5 years after porting my number from 3 (after severe coverage issues since commencing transition to Vodaphone).

My sister is using IPhone 3GS, she has had for 2.5 years & has been with 3 since then.

I have definate examples of where the issue has occurred as my sister has been able to provide screen shots of all communications back to the 27/3/12.  It appears that this issue commenced on the 31/5/12.

I have discovered a brother is with 3 mobile & conducted tests with him yesterday (but did not swap sim cards / husband phones etc).  He said he has major problems with signal (lives in Sydney) but we went back through our history & it appears there are no issues with sms not received with him.

My sister has also conducted similar tests wither her husband (Telstra)  this morning (without swapping any sim) & there were no issues.

I am off to the Telstra Shop now, so will give some feedback on my return.  If you can think of anything else it would be appreciated.

I really need this issue escalated as it is urgent that this be sorted as the main communication is regarding my terminally ill father - so I am sure you can appreciate our situation.  Thanks again for any help you can provide :-)

Ooops - just realised I included wrong date..... the issues commenced on the 1/5/12 :-)

QwertFu

Sorry to hear about your father.

Ask you sister to try disabling Apples iMessage service. She will find it under Settings>General>Messaging. It may not fix the issue, but it's the best way to make sure it's a mobile network issue and not iMessage doing something unusual.

Would it make sense that you sister updated her iPhone to iOS 5 about the time you started having the problem?

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.

Thanks for your response Qwertfu :-)

I have just returned from the local Telstra shop & they have viewed all the screen shots of my communications with my sister.  They are at a loss as to why the issue is still there & have lodged a complaint with Telsta on my behalf.  They have given me a telephone no & a reference # & suggested I contact 1800 814 242 tomorrow - hopefully they will be able to escalate the problem from there.

My sister has not been able to try a sim card swap into another phone, so will be purchasing a Telstra pre-paid mobile tonight & will try her sim card & we will perform further tests then.  The Telstra tech has advised that this might not work - but anythings worth a try at this point.

I will check with her tonight on whether she has recently updated her phone system to iOS 5 & also mention your suggestion about disabling her iMessage service.

Thanks again for your help on this :-)

Hi

Further to my previous posts....my sister disabled her IMessage setting & we sent through another lot of test msg's, she also tried her 3 mobile sim card in another phone - neither of these sorted the problem.

She has also since had the opportunity to try another sim card in her iphone & this worked without any issues - we managed to get numerous msg's without any problems.

So we have drawn the conclusion that there is a definate communication issue between the 3 mobile & Telstra networks.....

I have spoken with a Telstra case Manager on Friday & the matter has been referred to a level 3 Tech (which I was advised was the highest level).  They will commence investigations of my complaint within 3 working days..... so I guess I will wait & see what they come up with.

Will advise of the outcome...... :-)

QwertFu

Awesome. Well I'm glad this looks well on the way to a permanent fix.

LavenderPark
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

Yesterday I had my mobile number ported from 3 to Telstra and today I can't send SMS messages to my wife as she is still on 3 mobile!  I have obtained a case number from Telstra and the advice was that I should expect a fix in the next 7 to 10 business days whilst the level3 team investigates.  The +61418...... number is correctly set in my Nokia Lumia 800 phone.

Cheers,

Ari

QwertFu

Ocassionally there are issues with Mobile Number Portability (MNP). When you switch between providers, all Australian carriers are also required to update their MNP Database which affects telephone service routing data (this is sometimes different for each service type ie, sms/mms/calls). When there is a delay or issue with this process, intercarrier fault teams liase to correct the mismatch. This can take a little time.

Hi

Lavender Park - I can definately understand your frustration on this one :-)

Qwert Fu - My sister & I are yet to reach an actual conclusion to our dramas - this has been happening for 4 weeks now...... I have spoken with a Case Manager last Friday 25/5/12 who assured me the problem would be elevated to a level 3 Tech who would commence investigations within 3 working days....

i then received a phone call on Tuesday from a lady called Sarah (assumed she was the Tech) she took all the details & advised she would get back to me on Thursday..... havent heard from her again :-(

I then also received a call from a Daniel on Wednesday - he sounded a little more knowledgeable in this area.... I have explained in detail once again the issue & provided him with screen shots of all sms communications between my sister / husband / brother-in-law & myself, which clearly shows the extent of the missing sms & clearly show that phones / sim cards are not the culprit in all this.

Daniel has replied to advise this complaint has now been referred to a Level 3 Tech (thought this was already done.......)

This issue has resulted in me having to restrict communications via my mobile as I am now extremely close to my monthly cap limit - therefore I am not looking forward to my next landline bill :-(  All this is incredibly bad timing for our family at this point in time....... as if we don't have enough to deal with!!!!

Thanks again for any additional assistance you can give on this matter :-)

QwertFu

Hi Again,

There is a little confusion over 'Levels' in the last couple of years. Telstra is going through a real shakeup so alot of paths have changed and some steps removed altogether etc. Added to that is perspective. If I am the second in my chain, and I'm sending it up, then thats 3, But in that business line, they're really 2.

As for being close to your cap, please be sure to raise that with your case manager. If possible, do this before you exceed your cap.

I'm pretty sure I know the Daniel you spoke to. Your fault is still in hand and I hope we can sort this quickly for you.

LavenderPark

Hi,

After having got in touch with Telstra technical support on Friday I found that as of 8pm that day I was able send MMS and SMS messages to my wife on 3.  Sounds like a 24 hour timeout period occurred after my number was ported from 3.  Nevertheless I am now happy to have successfully ditched 3 and their pathetic network (I live less than 15 Kms from Parliament House in Canberra yet their network previously was in constantly roaming mode; what a joke!).

Cheers,

Ari

Accepted Solution

HI

Sorry for the delay in responding....as I needed to go interstate again.

I received a phone call from Sarah @ Telstra a few weeks back & she requested that I send further test messages to my sister....I explained that I had already reached my cap limit & was waiting for it to be re-set.  I also mentioned that the timing was not good & I was not in the position to do these tests.

She said that she would close my file until I had the opportunity to do the tests....I requested this not be done until I felt the issue was sorted.

A day or so later, I received another call from Telstra - Daniel I think.... he said that apparently 3 mobile had changed the way that their sms were delivered during the period we experienced issues.  He said the problem was now solved - he closed my complaint file on the basis that I could re-open it if the problem was not fixed.

I advised my sister of the outcome & she took it up with 3 mobile - who disputed Telstra's resolution.  They then attempted to blame my phone settings etc...... all been heard before.  My sister & I sent numerous sms whilst I was in Tassie - and it appears there were no issues, so it looks like the problem is now sorted.

I believe the issue was a 3 mobile issue.  I have only returned hom recently & am yet to advise Telstra that i feel the matter is now fixed & request the complaint be closed off.

My sister has now ported her number to Telstra & is happy with the service to date Smiley Happy

My brother will also be doing the same when his contract is up in October, as when he was also recently in Tassie he got charged roaming charges for all his calls / sms - even though his phone setting showed that he was connected to the 3 network....so now he also has a battle on his hands dealing with overseas call centres to rectify his complaint.

I for one will NEVER return to 3 mobile & as far as I am aware my family will not either.  Such a shame as I considered them to be very reliable until they starting relying on the Vodaphone network.

Thanks you to all that have read my posts & offered input in an attempt to solve this matter.

Thanks heaps to Qwetfu for your responses & assistance :-)

LavenderPark

Hi,

Further to my previous postings I have experienced further issues with not being able to send SMS messages.  I have subsequently raised 2 more cases with Telstra.  The latest case is still open and despite promises that level 3 technical support will call me back there's been no calls so far.  Strangely I can send SMS messages to Telstra mobiles but not reliably to Optus/Virgin or 3/Vodafone.  I have asked if there could be a problem with my microSIM card or the mobile itself but no further feedback has been forthcoming.  This is extremely frustrating and customer service is rather lacking.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@LavenderPark wrote:

Further to my previous postings I have experienced further issues with not being able to send SMS messages.  I have subsequently raised 2 more cases with Telstra.  The latest case is still open and despite promises that level 3 technical support will call me back there's been no calls so far.  Strangely I can send SMS messages to Telstra mobiles but not reliably to Optus/Virgin or 3/Vodafone.  I have asked if there could be a problem with my microSIM card or the mobile itself but no further feedback has been forthcoming.  This is extremely frustrating and customer service is rather lacking.

Few ways to check:

If possible, a SIM card replacement might be a decent idea. Its Free and painless at a Telstra Store

See if you can test another phone with a new SIM card and see if its affecting multiple phones.

If you find that it affects Multiple phones and a SIM card change doesn't work, I would suggest getting in touch with the team either here, on Twitter or Facebook and see what they can do.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now