CrowdSupport®
Suthers48
Level 1: Cadet

SMS not received while roaming

I have been travelling in Italy and now Malta, with a Telstra account. I have not taken the $10 per day Telstra roaming plan, as I only send the occasional SMS ($0.75 cost) to inform the Airbnb apartment host about my arrival time, when I do not have wifi access.

I have had 2 occasions in Italy and one in Malta when the SMS has not been received. When I realised this, I turned on roaming data   for a short time and sent the message by WhatsApp. Received ok, so I know that I had the correct phone number..

I am receiving SMS ok. When I send an SMS to an Aussie number it is received. It seems that it is the SMS sent to an number in the same country that is not received.

What is the problem, and how do I rectify it?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: SMS not received while roaming

Are you including the international country prefix for the numbers that you are sending to (eg +39 for Italy and +356 for Malta)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now