CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

SMS over WIFI. Ever going to happen?

When if ever are your customers going to get SMS over WIFI?? You clam your network is superior but you don't offer this. I live in the country with very little coverage, in fact it is getting worse. I have a Telstra Smart Repeater and 12 months ago in a normal month I would only have about 5 days where it wouldn't work, now I am lucky if it works 5 days out of A month. I asked in a Telstra shop about WIFI calling and SMS (was lied to about my Nokia 5 supporting WiFi calling but that's another story) I brought a Samsung to get these features I while WiFi calling worked my sms wouldn't, asked again and was told that was RCS and it was coming soon. Got the update for my phone this week and a text message saying I now had RCS, tried to send an SMS but wouldn't work, got onto chat help and was told NO I need Telstra mobile signal to use RCS, it will not work over WiFi.(After been told in store that I would be able to send and receive SMS's over WiFi) Optus and Vodafone both offer SMS over WiFi. It seem to me the big thing with RCS is you can send bigger files, well I have been able to do that for years, its called Email. I would think that simple features are more important that fancy ones. Sorry for sounding bitter but I really annoyed. Been with Telstra for over ten years but if I could get Optus where I travel and in places on my farm I would be gone yesterday. Everyone you talk at Telstra tells you something difference. After spending 3 hours (4 if you count driving half an hour to get mobile signal)trying to report a landline out from my mobile 12 months ago, 2 of which was spent repeating to the person I couldn't dial out and I wasn't at home, this is like the last straw. Rant over. It would still be very nice to have SMS over WiFi thought. I can get Voice over WiFi so text can't be that hard to do.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Re: SMS over WIFI. Ever going to happen?

Hi peterbarker, welcome to CrowdSupport.

We're unaware of such a solution being developed but can certainly pass the suggestion on. Not wanting to leave you without some kind of a solution, have you looked at a third party app or provider like Google Hangouts, iMessage (Apple devices) or Whatsapp?

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Highlighted

I have heard of third party apps like that, I do have Whatsapp but not everyone I know uses them. Business don't use them. I have a few business text me from time to time, 24 hour sale tomorrow isn't much use when you get it three days later. My dentist sends out a sms to confirm appointments, (computer system and you text back yes or no) I now have to remember to drive up the back paddock to check for that message two days before.
Also some people no matter how much you tell them you don't always get text messages still don't understand it. Was working away last week and my boss send me a text asking me to bring some different tools, didn't get it till I was almost there. so third party apps are not a solution, everyone has SMS
Highlighted

I had to change toTelstra yesterday because of lack of signal in regional areas with Optus.

At home (we can't get signal) we have  VoLTE wifi calling with Optus that includes SMS.

I found out today that Telstra doesn't support SMS over wifi calling.WTF!!

If Optus can do it, and Telstra is THE MAJOR mobile service (with so many regional customers). WHY IS THIS NOT A PRIORITY.

Telstra personnel, please do not mention third party Apps to use.

Business does not use them, please tell us when its going to be switched on.

If it's too difficult, ask Optus to fix it for you.

There are thousands of frustrated users out here - YOUR CUSTOMERS.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more