Highlighted
igeek
Level 1: Cadet

SMS texting to a australian number on international roaming

Answered

Hi,

Just wanted to ask: if I'm on the BYO medium plan and I SMS a friend who is on Telstra prepaid but roaming overseas, do either of us get charged extra for this? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Accepted Solution

Re: SMS texting to a australian number on international roaming

@DanielM wrote:
If you are texting internationally, it will cost 50c a message. This is not included on your call credit so this will be on top of anything you are already paying.

The question was whether texting to a Telstra phone which is roaming overseas costs extra and the answer is NO.

If you are IN Australia and send a text to a standard mobile number, it will be treated like any other text.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you are texting internationally, it will cost 50c a message. This is not included on your call credit so this will be on top of anything you are already paying.

To receive a text, it generally does not cost anything for them.

https://www.telstra.com.au/misc/MOS-EDCBYO60-C1406-03072012.pdf
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Accepted Solution

@DanielM wrote:

The question was whether texting to a Telstra phone which is roaming overseas costs extra and the answer is NO.

If you are IN Australia and send a text to a standard mobile number, it will be treated like any other text.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I don't deal much with the sales side of things, so I may be incorrect, but I interpret the My Offer Summary to mean texting to overseas was not included.

"Your Monthly Call Allowance can’t be used for some things like: calls, SMS or MMS to international numbers or while overseas"

If it does cost the same as a normal text it must have changed since last year because my partner got a pretty big bill for texting me while I was travelling europe Smiley Sad

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

DanielM, lets take apart the quote you provided

DanielM wrote: 

"Your Monthly Call Allowance can’t be used for some things like: calls, SMS or MMS to international numbers or while overseas"

An Australian Mobile Number (starting with 04) is not an international number

Now if your partner was overseas, or you were using a European number, then that is an international number that they are SMSing.

I'm not sure if the plan has changed, you would need to refer to the relevant section of Our Customer Terms.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Cool thanks Ben, wasn't sure if it became an international number when texting overseas (e.g. 04xx xxx xxx becomes +644xx xxx xxx when calling NZ)

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now