Moth48
Level 1: Cadet

Set up a Telstra Air public hotspot?

How can I help a coffee shop in Carnarvon provide an internet service so their customers will stay longer? They are Telstra customers and can they use Telstra Air to provide the link to the internet? I am a Telstra Air customer and occasionally I can connect in Carnarvon and wish to create a network for local visitors to enjoy without adding to the cost to businesses.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Set up a Telstra Air public hotspot?

@Moth48 It sounds like you want to be a Telstra AIr Merchant?

The hotspot unit is $20 a month, so it does cost something, and data comes out of your monthly allowance. Which doesn't matter with unlimited accounts these days. You do have to set up the bandwidth so you don't want that to impact your normal business requirements.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Highlighted
Moth48
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Ozmoz for the reply and info on Telstra Air Merchant.  I am also seeking to have non business Telstra customers included so they can access Wi-Fi when they travel.  If personal customers activate the Telstra Air program would this help build the network across the area without compromising their Wi-Fi security?   

@Moth48 wrote:

Thanks Ozmoz for the reply and info on Telstra Air Merchant.  I am also seeking to have non business Telstra customers included so they can access Wi-Fi when they travel.  If personal customers activate the Telstra Air program would this help build the network across the area without compromising their Wi-Fi security?   

@Moth48 The problem with normal home Telstra Air activation is I have found its not very reliable due to the homes WiFi strength.

How does it Telstra Air work at home hotspots?

With Telstra Air, your home broadband can be used to create a home hotspot. Your Telstra Air compatible gateway will broadcast separate Wi-Fi signals for other Telstra Air customers to use. 

To help protect your home broadband experience we limit the number of people who can use your home hotspot at the one time, the bandwidth available to them and the maximum speed we allow. However, there are times when you may notice a small reduction in speed if you’re using your home broadband service at the same time as Telstra Air hotspot users. Fon coverage maps will indicate the location of your Telstra Air hotspot.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now