CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Tv1999
Level 1: Cadet

Short sms reattempt period

Answered

Is there a setting you can do on iPhone to set how long Telstra will attempt to send an sms before it gives up?

if my phone is turned off for a few hours, when I turn it back on the sms’s That have been sent to me while the phone is turned off don’t come through. It appears that on the sending users phone that there is a short sms reattempt timer. If the message isn’t sent successfully in an hour or two then the Telstra service gives up and the message never gets sent. The sending phone is an iPhone on Telstra and the receiving phone is also an iPhone on Telstra. I would expect I should be able to keep my phone turned off for a few days and when I turn it back on any messages that have been sent to me should come through.

this isn’t an iMessage issue as on the sending phone I have the setting so that an unsuccessful iMessage will result in an sms being sent.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Short sms reattempt period

@Tv1999

Does the sending phone actually convert the message to text?

The trouble with iMessage is that if you have this set up on another device - such as an iPad or iMac - the iMessage would still be delivered.

To answer your question about re-delivery, the Network will hold an SMS for delivery for up to 7 days before the SMSC discards the message.

It should also be noted that messages are delivered sequentially, so if the message at the head of the queue is delayed all messages queued up behind this message will also be delayed.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Short sms reattempt period

@Tv1999

Does the sending phone actually convert the message to text?

The trouble with iMessage is that if you have this set up on another device - such as an iPad or iMac - the iMessage would still be delivered.

To answer your question about re-delivery, the Network will hold an SMS for delivery for up to 7 days before the SMSC discards the message.

It should also be noted that messages are delivered sequentially, so if the message at the head of the queue is delayed all messages queued up behind this message will also be delayed.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now