CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
BrendanPointer
Level 4: Private Eye

Slow 250Kb/s ADSL Internet speeds

We have recently bought the 250 Gb Telstra BiZessentials 20mb/s internet plan and we are only getting 250kb/s of internet coverage speed on international and even BigPond servers. We are 1Km from exchange and I live in Caboolture, QLD. I feel as if I am being limited seeing that the line speed will not go over 280KB/s and will not drop under 270KB/s. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Slow 250Kb/s ADSL Internet speeds

Hi Brendan,

Can you please provide your modem stats so we can further assist? http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware-KB/Technicolor-TG582n-TG587nV3/ta-p/65484
Lathania

heres the modem I have www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8960N

Level 21: Augmented

Okay, if you can go into the modem interface and get whatever dsl / connection stats I can take a look =)
Lathania

the attenuation is 45 by the way.

Firmware Version:1.4.0 Build 110620 Rel.52053n
Hardware Version:TD-W8960N v3 0x00000002
This information reflects the current status of your DSL connection.
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):930
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):4234
LAN IP Address:192.168.1.1
Default Gateway:165.228.7.1(ppp0)
Primary DNS Server:203.50.2.71
Secondary DNS Server:139.130.4.4
System Running time:0 day(s) 01:37:14

I thought I fixed it today when it jumped to 7000, but then it just when back down to 3000. I am getting terrible rates on Origin download server with 50Kb/s upstream ):

BrendanPointer

Oh please help me! It has gone down to 50Kb/s. This is horrible compared to my old 3G 1.5mb/s speeds. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Brendan,

I can help you look into this, however the modem stats you have provided show that the modem is receiving a higher bitrate than you are downloading. Have you tested the speed on another site/downloader than Origin? We cannot garuntee the download capacity of 3rd party programs, so if you speeds are functioning correctly elsewhere there may be an issue with Origin servers. 

Let me know Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BrendanPointer

Oh don't worry now I called and a technitian came and fixed a fault in the line apparently. Apparently as in it went from 3000kbps to 1200kbps.. hopefully it takes time to kick in because really I could not be bothered to call up again. Either they have introduced a new fault or it just takes time. Oh god I miss my 1.5 MB/ps 3G connection yet that only served a 12 Gb plan. 

I guess that is it for me, no more fast internet... and I still wonder to this day why my old ADSL that was about 4Km line length from exchange achieved up to 700KB/ps

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now