CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

Re: Smart Antenna question for Telstra

The TMSA-4G Repeater unit 5 bar display is a bit vague at best, so get as far a you can get it away from th Network unit till it drops out (use an extension power lead) then bring it back closer by about 1.5 metres. Then reboot the Repeater Unit to see if it finds the network unit. If it does, it will most likly hold signal. You need to have a consistant 3 to 4 out of 5 on the Network unit for consistant reliability other wise you won't get a very good seperation range of up to 25m of seperation, which the 3G/4G signal will over lap the Network Unit at best of 30m plus.

All ways turn on the (Window Unit) Network Unit on first, the the Repeter Unit on last!!!!!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
wdtvandsound

8 at best on the old 3G model TMSA as 9 on the RU will dropout!!!

I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
trackker
Level 1: Cadet

I use my tmsa on a one and it works really well. Boxes are around 12m apart line of sight.
Bluefigcreek
Level 2: Rookie

I have been successfully using a Telstra 3G Smart Antenna for 2 1/2 years - but earlier this week it stopped working.  I rang Telstra and they said that there is only one option and that is to buy a new one - there is no option for repair.

So I rang a local supplier called Powertec who sell a competitive product called "Cel-Fi Repeater for Telstra 3G".  They said "no worries bring it in and we will repair it - its usually quite easy".  I pointed out that it was a Telstra product and they immediately responded that we can't touch that - "you need to go through Telstra".  So I went back to Telstra and try as I might - the consistent response was that I had to replace it at a cost of around $900.

When your Iphone plays up you get it fixed at the Apple store - when your car has a probem you get it repaired - but when your Telstra Smart Antenna has a fault you are forced to buy a new one.

Has anyone out there had this problem?  I need the Smart Antenna because I live in a remote location.  I already pay nearly $100 per month for my tiny 15gb wireless internet plan and now Telsra wants to charge me another $900 to replace a product that is probably easily repairable.

If anyone has any ideas on how I might get my Smart Antenna repaired I would really appreciate it.

In the meantime I would stronly advise that you do not buy a Smart Antenna from Telstra, instead contact PowerTec and purchase one of their products that is backed up by readily available product repair.

jasnick
Level 10: Junior Detective

I was horrified to read of your non-working Smart Antenna and the response from Telstra.  I  wonder if mine will stop working anytime soon.  I am  paying $720 @ $30  each bill - must be nearing the end.  You say a new one is $900?  That is outrageous!  One would think that once the $720 was paid I would own it - but apparently not?

I don't understand the competitive product you mentioned - I understood that ALL other "smart antenna" type products were illegal and that the Telstra product was the only one that was allowed.

trackker

Mine failed at 2.5 yrs. Had no option but to buy another one. 3g model was $720. 4g are now available at a higher cost.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bluefigcreek

I'm going to flag your post with our Social Media Tech Team in the hope that they may have a solution, short of purchasing a new one, for your Smart Antenna concerns. 

As they only work Monday to Friday, you should be hearing from them sometime in the new week. 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

trackker

Good luck Bluefigcreek. My TMSA was one of the first and didn't work correctly and would just stop working randomly. After a year of trouble shooting with their techs the unit was replaced but kept playing up. It was finally sent back and repaired with a software upgrade. So it was finally fit for service and then it failed completely about a year later. Even though all this was recorded in my file I was refused warranty even though I'm a Telstra contractor and needed to be on call. I wish you luck.
Bluefigcreek

Hi Trakker

Thanks for sharing your experience - you know how the system works and you had no joy - so I hold out little hope.  

Bluefigcreek

Thanks Lindy

In remote areas we get hammered - expensive plans, antennas etc etc.   The Smart Antenna gives a bit of normality to your life but its too expensive to replace every 2.5 years.  Telstra is a business - but surely a business model could accomodate repair?

It would be a very pleasant surprise if you could come up with something.

Bluefigcreek

Check out PowerTec's website - they import the same product directly from the US. Telstra has allowed them to do this. Unfortunately the Telstra product is cheaper so people tend to buy that, not knowing that their is no option for repair even if it only has a minor fault.
trackker

Bluefigcreek thanks for the info. I wish i had of known of other choices a while ago. It's a costly item but they price it at what people are prepared to pay. I live 1.5kms from our tower but we are in rainforest. At a couple of metres above roof level we have full signal so a TMSA works well along with an antenna to get that signal inside.
wdtvandsound

When you buy a replacement TMSA get the 3G/4G one which is about $100 more with a LCD display.

For E.G. the Kogan supplied units are 3G only Smart Antennas for only about $100 cheaper than the 4G TMSA as the data difference could be as much as 3Mbps up to 50Mbps plus improvement with as little a 2 bars of 4G signal.

The TMSA-4G does 3G voice and data and 4G data when available and does the older 4G LTE 1800MHz for the earlier TLE devices (that won't do 700MHz) when available on your tower and will swop to the newer 4GX (LTE) 700MHz that has a better reach over distance and in to buildings (as you have to lock to 1800 or 700MHz as it can only do one 4G or the other at any one time!!), as it is every bit as good as 4G LTE but has a better reach especially through rain forest!

So out there are old and new devices that do 4G LTE 1800MHz that can't do 700MHz e.g. iPhone 4, 5S and 5C along with the 4G Advanced I and there are 1800MHz & 700MHz devices of the newer type e.g iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5 & S6  along with the Advanced II and III.

Older 4G devices only do the 4G LTE 1800MHz and devices made after late 2014 do 1800 and 700MHz.

So make shore that if you have 700MHz in your area and that your device is capable of the 4GX 700Mhz.

Some areas will only have 1800 for a while till an up grade eventuates.

As modems go, released on the 1st of October is the new 4G Advanced III, that is compatible with all Advanced I,

II, III accessories and cradles (4 port Ethernet router) that does amongst other things Dual Wi-Fi AC.........

Don't think you are getting a bargain and get ripped off by buying an old 3G only Smart Antenna for a $100 cheaper, make sure it is the 3G/4G newer TMSA!!!!!

Sorry to say that the TMSA warranty only lasts for a year, though they will replace a faulty unit without much if any fuss!

Bluefigcreek

Good advice - but still don't buy from Telstra as you will not be able to get it repaired after the warranty is out.  

The product you describe is also available from non-Telstra resellers such as Powertec and they won't go into sell mode as soon as you are out of warranty.

Despite the rhetoric Telstra is geared to sales not the customer.  The smaller resellers have to focus on the customer and therefore offer repairs. 

wdtvandsound

Though one other guarantee that Telstra offers is a signal guarantee is that if the signal changes affecting their gear after a professional install, there will be no further service costs to remedy any signal problems.

wdtvandsound

The gear has a 2 year warranty and the only legal repairer in Australia is Celfi them self.
Bluefigcreek

Unfortunately they can only repair Celfi / Powertec branded products.  If you bought from Telstra they can't touch it.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now