CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
lanenur
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Dave not picking up network

Answered

A month ago I bought a Telstra Dave phone and I asked at the shop whether I could use a SIM card from another network and I was told that should be fine. The main reason I got this phone is because it had the blue tick as I work in a rural area.

My network is Amaysim (same as my wife), they use Optus towers and I have been having trouble getting coverage in some areas, obviously the first thing they blame at the Telstra shop is my network but my wife has no problem getting coverage where I don't, she has an iPhone 4. As an example, last weekend we were in a rural area in Tasmania where we live, we were a couple of hundred metres from an Optus tower, my wife had full coverage and I had none. I went to Settings on my phone and searched for networks and the only network my phone was picking up was Telstra!! I would like to change my phone but I ma sure I will be told the phone can not be exchange. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Dave not picking up network

I just want to confirm that the phone is unlocked, and your coverage issues are only occasional.

I think it's likely because the Dave supports 850/2100 3G networks while the iPhone 4 also supports 900.

Optus tend to use 900Mhz for greater coverage in rural areas. Telstra use 850Mhz (NextG). So her phone has no trouble picking up the Optus 900Mhz signal while the Dave simply doesn't support it at all - meaning that you get no signal.

When you are in more metro areas the Dave will pick up the 2100Mhz Optus signal and you'll see signal on your phone.

The only real option if you are in rural areas covered by Optus 900 is to purchase a phone that supports it.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Dave not picking up network

I just want to confirm that the phone is unlocked, and your coverage issues are only occasional.

I think it's likely because the Dave supports 850/2100 3G networks while the iPhone 4 also supports 900.

Optus tend to use 900Mhz for greater coverage in rural areas. Telstra use 850Mhz (NextG). So her phone has no trouble picking up the Optus 900Mhz signal while the Dave simply doesn't support it at all - meaning that you get no signal.

When you are in more metro areas the Dave will pick up the 2100Mhz Optus signal and you'll see signal on your phone.

The only real option if you are in rural areas covered by Optus 900 is to purchase a phone that supports it.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now