Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Telstra Frequencies and Bands (mainly LTE)

So I've looked pretty much every where on the Telstra Mobiles website to find information about what Frequencies (and LTE Bands) Telstra use for their mobile network. I'm explicitly interested in LTE (or E-UTRA) Frequencies and their corresponding Bands. 

I would expect the information for this, and all their other frequencies requirements (inc GSM, HSPA etc) should be available on their website. I thought I find the information would be under the heading "Maximising your coverage" on the Network Coverage page, or at least somewhere on the Coverage & Networks page, but that's not the case.

And I've found it impossible to find thus far from a definitive Telstra source; I even spent more than 160mins on Chat last night to four different Telstra staff, including supervisors within the (supposed) Technical Support team and none of them were able to tell me what the Bands were. I was also concerned about the staff knowledge because not one of them knew what FDD (Frequency Division Duplexing) was or that Telstra employ it as a technology, so I was concerned abut their knowledge or access to knowledge.

I'd like to get a definitive answer on the LTE Frequencies and Bands that Telstra supports on it's mobile network?

This information should be published and updated by Telstra and available on their website.

I understand from Telstra staff last night, that the Telstra network uses these LTE frequencies (4G and 4GX).

• 700 MHz
  • 1800 MHz

Note: I was explicitly told by three staff that Telstra DO NOT SUPPORT 2600 MHz. But according to various references (see *1 below) Telstra use (or will use) 2600MHz for their 4GX devices. This again had me conerned about their knowledge.

These appear to be the UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ frequencies for Telstra (3G):

• 850 MHz
  • 2100 MHz

This appears to be the GSM /EDGE frequency for Telstra (2G):

• 900 MHz

As I said, I'm personally interested in the LTE frequencies though and what Bands they correlate to. And I'd like to get this informaiton actually from Telstra. It seems from this article on Wikipedia, that LTE frequencies appear to correlate to these Bands:

• 700 MHz            Band 28
  • 1800 MHz          Band 3
  • 2600 MHz          Band 7            Do Telstra use this???

But the information I've been provided by Tesltra conflicts with all the other information I find on the web. For instance Whirlpool's wiki notes that Telstra also uses 900 MHz and 2100 MHz for LTE (for "a handful of sites").

• 700 MHz            Band 28          Telstra and other Aus provider
  • 850 MHz            Band 5             other Aus provider
  • 900 MHz            Band 8             Telstra???
  • 1800 MHz          Band 3            Telstra and other Aus provider
  • 2300 MHz          Band 40          other Aus provider
  • 2600 MHz          Band 7            Telstra??? and other Aus provider

The information from Telstra staff also conflicts with information from other members on this forum, which suggest Telstra use 700. 900, 1800 and 2100 MHz for LTE (and some 2600 MHz).

Can a knowledgeable Telstra staff member please offer their insite to confirm this information?

And can someone at Telstra please put it on the Telstra website so that it is available as a definitive source?

References:

Telstra 2600MHz

*1 - 

a - "It has now settled on 700/1800/2600MHz for its three-band CA plans, which will be used for the 1000Mbps 4GX hotspot and future 4GX devices."

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/02/telstra-is-spending-millions-to-develop-australias-5g-mobile-netwo...

b - "Telstra will be using a combination of its 700MHz, 1800MHz and 2600Mhz frequency bands"

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/02/telstra-will-have-1000mbps-4g-this-year/

c - "To achieve Cat 9 speeds, Telstra uses a third 4G band: The high-data-capacity 2,600MHz"

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/australian-lte-advanced-4g-carrier-aggregation-explained/

Level 7: Deputy Inspector
0 Kudos

Re: Telstra Frequencies and Bands (mainly LTE)

Telstra Use The Following Frequencies.

For 4G (LTE)

700Mhz

900Mhz only a at few sites at this stage

1800Mhz 

2600Mhz

Once the 2G GSM network is shut down I expect that more 900Mhz 4G sites will start appearing. 

Cheers
The Bush Pig
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Cheers Bush PIg,

Can you tell me the source of your information? I'm still concerned about the 2600MHz frequency as I was told by three staff that Telstra do NOT use it.

I really want to confirm the LTE Bands they use though too? I know these translate to frequencies, but I'd like clarification from Telstra as oppossed to relying on Wikipedia for this.

Level 24: Supreme Being

Generation Spectrum Band ACT NSW VIC QLD SA WA TAS NT Sites % Site Total

2G900MHz 45129812009043874451215459.73%4454
2G1800MHz 12337785201.11%83
3G850MHzBand 56820511712155758288821713096.62%7205
3G2100MHzBand 127418446423147286382524.29%1811
4G700MHzBand 2821440381559222285525226.98%2012
4G900MHzBand 80235202020.82%61
4G1800MHzBand 3511030947874313387804750.01%3729
4G2100MHzBand 10494700000.80%60
4G2600MHzBand 7238522911300162.39%178

There you go, Number of sites, per state, Technology and Band.  Courtesy of OzTowers.com, which list the capability of every tower in Austrlai.

0 Kudos

Cheers Juniper. I'm still relying on third hand information without any actual clarification from Telstra.

So I called Tesltra support; damn they're attrocious. I spoke to Telstra tech support on the phone today and after being transferred a number of times, finally got someone that could provide an answer... albeit not a very definitive one.

Jackie initially told me (after checking with someone else) that Telstra support 700, 900 and 1800MHz.  Then I asked about 2100Mhz and she checked and came back and said yes, they also use 2100MHz as well. Then I asked about 2600MHz and again, after checking, she came back and told me they also use 2600Mhz.

I would love for a Telstra engineer to actually respond here and give a definitive answer with some background.

So for the best experience on Telstra, I assume your device really should support FDD on all those LTE frequencies.

Level 1: Cadet
0 Kudos

Hi Guys, I think this is related to the same thread.......

I wondered if anyone knows why mobile phiones that were not purchased in Australia do not work on Tesltra in some rural areas. It has been mine and my wife's experience that  our HTC and Samsung phones do not work when standing next to others who are getting a 3 out of 5 bars service.

This is not related to just one area  - we tried in many areas.

I thought it may be something to do with 4GX (or the 700Mhz frequency) but from our phone specs it seems our phones should receive 700MHz.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lawrie

0 Kudos

This is my understanding.

Different towers transmit different frequencies. So one tower might transmit on two or three frequencies, whilst another will only transmit on one or two frequencies.

But a frequency is also used by a tower to transmit a specific type of mobile communication technology. Some examples of different technologies are GSM or CDMA (both 2G) or HSDPA (3G) or LTE (4G).

I believe Telstra use 700MHz purely for LTE, so if your phone can do LTE 700MHz, then it should be able to connect to a tower that's transmittig 700MHz if it's in range. But if you're nearest tower isn't 700MHz capable yet, your phone needs to use another frequency that both it and the tower are capable of. 

But it also gets more complex. Different companies use different technologies for aggregating freqeuncies together to improve your connection. The two different ypes are either FDD (Frequency Division Duplexing) or TDD (Time Division Duplexing).

Telstra use FDD.

So If your phone supports TDD 700MHz (Band 44) but not FDD 700Mhz (Band 28) it wont work either. This is unlikely in your case as I believe TDD 700MHz isn't used in the USA. 

You can see more about the specifics of the LTE networks and the frequencies and bands on Wikipedia here and here.

Here's an example where a friend's phone may work and yours does not:

Let's say the nearest tower to you current location only transmits on the following (like this tower):

• GSM 900MHz (2G)
  • UMTS/HSDPA 850MHz (3G)
  • LTE 1800MHz / Band 28 (4G)

If your phone doesn't support these specific frequency and technology combinations, then your phone won't be able to connect to this tower and will have to find another tower nearby to connect to.

This may lead to a weaker signal or no signal.

Older phones tend to have more problems. Newer phones tend to have less problems with the 2G and 3G technologies as the newer chips tend to support a more global set of frequencies and apprpriate technologies for those frequencies. This has probably also come about as a result of many telecommunication carriers standardising those technologies and frequencies.

And to make matters worse, if you buy a phone from one carrier, it may not work entirely well with another carrier, even in the same country.

You can use the OzTowers website to check your closest tower and what it supports.

Confusing, yes, annoying, very. And also very difficult to get accurate information from the telcos.

Hope that helps.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

0 Kudos

Thanks, thats excellent information and the best I have had so far as I too tried to get infor from Telstra. The specifics are that both my HTC One mini and my wife's Samsung 3S were purchased in the UK. The Samsung does not appear to show support for 700Mhz on its spec but my HTC includes 700Mhz against the words AT&T which may mean it only supports 700 in USA? The odd thing is we have been coming out to Australia for ten years and have never had this problem before - maybe Telstra has only recently started using the 700 frequency and thats when the probe started. Could it be good for us to try Optus or Vodafone instead? Regards, L

0 Kudos

The usual reason for a phone not working on the Telstra network has nothing to do with LTE support (although the AT&T 700MHz system is different tothe rest of the world version).

It comes down to the support of 850MHz UMTS. This is the primary signal that is used for voice and data traffic in regiional Australia by Telstra. Optus uses 900MHz UMTS for the same type of service (although geographic coverage is significantly less).

@iteese,

The information on OZTowers comes from the approvals documentation that is submitted by the Telecommunications companies to the government, and is pretty much the most comprehensive information you can get (short of getting the maintenance records for each tower).

You could also go via the ACMA and look at the copies of the spectrum licences that Telstra holds.

Short of that, there is no further information that you can get as it doesn't really exist.

Curious as to why you are so intersted in which Bands Telstra uses, and why you don't accept the information when you are given it.  The OzTowers will even tell you exactly where you can use eachj frequency as it tells you which tower broadcast which band.

0 Kudos

Sorry not to look at Towers information. Mass of numbers and my ignorance of this whole area. Just wanted to know why my phone didn't work. Many thanks for your help. L
0 Kudos

Thanks @Jupiter. I'm happy to accept the information someone provides, but I'd like it to be cited from a legitmate source.

Anyone without any knowledge can chip into a conversation and say that Telstra uses the fart sound of a flying pig to transmit data on the mobile network

Even getting a straight answer out of Telstra Technical Support staff on the phone gives different and contradictory information. So why should I belive some random person that chimes in on the Telstra user forums that doesn't provide any eveidence? (e.g. even Bushpig's original response didn't include 2100MHz) Surely you can see why I ask for some proof.

The OzTowers information is great and it does appear to cement the use of  700MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 2100MHz and 2600MHz. After reading where they get their data fromit appers to be pretty solid.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

I can concur completely with what Jupiter is saying.

I am in a rural area and have a phone that does not support 850 Mhz and it doesnt work on Telstra

I have another phone that doesnt support 900 Mhz and doesnt work on Optus here esp after 1 Aug 2017

I have a question for you Jupiter,

I am looking at another phone that supports 850 and 900 Mhz for use here, but it doesnt have Band28 700Mhz, will it work OK for voice, I dont use data much at all, and I think 700Mhz is used mainly for 4G data?? or have I got that all wrong.

Please advise, Thankyou

0 Kudos

For those enquiring about mobile phones purchased overseas, and asking why they don't work here - I have found a very good phone reference site, that shows all the technical specifications of every make and model of phone.

The site is - https://www.gsmarena.com/

Use the search menu to find your phone make and model. Once you have that listed, you will see a menu heading with "All Versions", followed to the right, by all the different models of your phone. Clicking on each model number gives you the precise specifications for that model.

Be aware that the phone manufacturers build phone models to suit the country that the phone is intended to be sold into, and used mainly there.

There can be up to 14 or 15 different models of your phone - all with different specifications - and most importantly, different frequencies used by those various models.

You will see a "Network" heading, and at the right, "Expand". Clicking on "Expand" gives you the frequencies that each particular model of phone uses.

Telstra use 700mHz, 900mHz (planned), 1800mHz, and 2600mHz. The critical frequencies are 700 and 1800mHz.

Here is a link to a website that lists the phone frequencies used in Australia.

http://www.mobilenetworkguide.com.au/australian_mobile_phone_frequencies.html

What is happening is that the shutdown of the analogue TV network freed up quite a few frequencies that can be utilised for other purposes - such as mobile phones.

The Govt has been auctioning off these frequencies and bidders such as Telstra, Vodaphone and Optus have won auctions for sections of these frequencies that are of interest to them. These companies are now in the process of setting up their systems to use these new frequencies.

You can find details of these successful radio frequency spectrum auctions on the ACMA website.

https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spectrum/Radiocomms-licensing/Spectrum-licences/spectrum-auctions-l...

All these radio frequency auctions allocated a set frequency range to a specific regional area. As a result, you will find variations in phone frequencies used, from area to area.

As a general guide, the frequencies with the lower numbers have better penetration into buildings and congested areas, and they travel longer distances. The higher frequencies have less penetration ability, and the signal doesn't carry as far.

The important part of todays current phone technology is FDD (Frequency Division Duplexing). Remember that term, it is very important.

FDD essentially means your phone can send and receive signals, to and from, a repeater tower, on 2 frequencies at once. This allows much more data to be sent to your phone, and eases mobile network congestion.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/cellulartelecomms/cellular_concepts/tdd-fdd-time-frequency-div...

Cheers, OT.