CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Global Roaming rate uncompetitive

Answered

I'm about to travel to Europe for five weeks and because of the rate Telstra charges for a Day Pass, intend purchasing an o/s sim on arrival. I'm happy to pay the Vodafone rate, but not double that. My question is, if I divert my current Telstra mobile number to this new number, will any incoming diverted calls be treated as a call by Telstra and thus be charged - either as a pay-as-you-go call from Aus or as activating the Day Pass which would defeat the purpose? Does anybody know how this works? John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Global Roaming rate uncompetitive

Thanks jhwiz - will check with Vodafone

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you divert your phone to the O/S number, then all diverted calls would be charged the international call rate for a call to the country that your mobile was in at the time (typically between $1.10 and $1.50 (plus $0.40 connection fee) per minute. Plus you would have wanted to divert it before you left.

It would be a very expensive option as it would end up costing more than the $10 per day option.

If you were to go the Vodafone route, you would be better off getting it before you left and telling people what your Vodafone number was and getting them to use that (just remember to top up your addon or you revert to normal roaming rates).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks for your prompt and detailed response Jupiter.  One more related question - if I divert my number to my partner's Australian number (she's on Vodafone) does the same costly arrangement apply, or would that be treated as a local call.  She will be travelling with me.  John

Highlighted
Level 11: Detective
Level 11: Detective

That should still be a standard call @jrnsk,however, Vodafone may charge the roaming Australian mobile a fee for receiving the call, you'd have to check with them.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thanks jhwiz - will check with Vodafone

View solution in original post

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more