Highlighted
Anaconda
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Antenna

We have a Telsta Smart Antenna on a oil rig just out of Dongara in WA. The window unit shows 5 good bars but the coverage unit shows between 2 and 3 with sometimes 4. Calls drop out regularly and it is a veryunreliable system Why, what can we do? I have changed every concievable plug cable and connection. Have even changed out the window and coverage units for another matched pair to no avail.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra Smart Antenna

@Anaconda

How far apart are the 2 units? Is there a chance you could move them closer to each other?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Anaconda

Nah, tried closer together further apart every which way but loose. Doesn't make any difference DS (except when they are too close or too far apart).

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Anaconda

Are the devices in separate rooms, or on different floors (if you live in a multi-story home/business). Perhaps there is some interference being generated inside your home/business from something?

Does a "Line of Sight" help (if possible)

At the moment, my only concern is that the Window Unit is not showing an issue, but the Coverage Unit is, and that's related to the link between the 2 devices.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Anaconda

Units are on the same floor about 10mtrs apart DS. Cant get them any further apart. They are in a transportable donga (office unit). Funny thing is I presently have the coverage unit in the far office from the Window unit and its showing a 2. If I move the coverage unit 2mtrs to the left so it has line of sight to the Window unit (still 10mtrs away) the coverage unit goes to a zero. Work that one out. I am getting to the point where I think the coverage unit is knackered. I have a cunning plan. I am going to take the original units (window and coverage) that I changed out and also didnt work, to Perth. Then, with a mag base aerial I will test them and see what signals I get. Perhaps I have two (pairs) of Smart Antennas that have died a natural death (or are very near death). Thanks for your input.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Anaconda

I'd recommend contacting our Mobile Tech Team on 125111 regarding the problem.

They will need to raise an issue known as a "SmarTik" so we can have someone take a look into the issue for you.

Anaconda

Yeah I have DS. Their suggestion was to try the units in a known good signal area.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now